Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 am 

I was searching the app store this am and found this cool app
You just enter s few simple distances, some pellet info and it gives you fps and power readings
The free version let's you do 3 consecutive shots before resetting it
I'm gonna try it the next chance I can, anyone else try it yet??

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:29 pm 

Its not what you think, but it does work it works off the phone mic and you need to hit a target that creates a decent sound. The way it works is you put in your distant from where your shooting to your target then it records the "shot" and "target" hit and calculates how quick it took from shot going off to target getting hit. Its OK but i wouldn't count on it being that accurate. There is a program for your computer as well that works by the same principle, I believe its called softchrono.

Here is the phone chrono working it seems pretty accurate in this vid but Ive see others vid's where its off by 30fps or more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2kRaViHyKk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm 

I tried that app and it didn't work at all. Measured out everything down to CM and it tells me my non-pal shoots at almost 1000 fps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:47 pm 

I can snap my fingers twice at 360fps :)

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:59 pm 

I've read that they are not reliable. I haven't seen positive reports about them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:05 pm 

I just tried this app and it's all over the place with my new kit friends new optimus kit and basement shots it's high was 935 low 750
These crosman hollows are going through fairly heavy steel
At 20 feet ( limited space)
And it's loud as he'll
I got some lube in it but still loud not that bad twang anymore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 pm 

Last edited by Tvg79 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:12 pm 

Last edited by Tvg79 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:45 pm 

Tvg79 wrote:
I'd really like to get the old school 1377 with the round pull pin to cock
Lol and I'd like a 760 or recruit pumper I liked them aswell when I was younger

You really should stick to the topic of the original post in some related way. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:53 pm 

Better?

Any others tried this app and liked or disliked it ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:52 pm 

I tried it with my Daisy 953 a few weeks ago. My numbers were in the 230 range, probably did something wrong. Going to repeat with my crosman vigilante when I get some time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:50 am 

I have played around quite a lot with this app. If you get everything set up right it can give what looks like consistent results. As it works with sound the backstop and phone placement are important. It seems to work better with some guns than others as well. With my Diana P1000 it rarely gives a strange reading or fails to read. The fps readings are usually within 5fps with that gun. I sometimes get strange readings on some of my other guns though. But hey, it was free. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:45 am 

GPZ1100 wrote:
I have played around quite a lot with this app. If you get everything set up right it can give what looks like consistent results. As it works with sound the backstop and phone placement are important. It seems to work better with some guns than others as well. With my Diana P1000 it rarely gives a strange reading or fails to read. The fps readings are usually within 5fps with that gun. I sometimes get strange readings on some of my other guns though. But hey, it was free. :)

Just wondering what inputs fro distance from muzzle and distance from flight path seemed to work for you? i got an error every time. Neat idea at least. The video seems amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:24 pm 

Tango, when I tried this app I had the ipads (yes, tried with two of them side by side) sitting on a chair roughly 2m in front of the muzzle and about 60cm above ground, about 60cm to the side, while I shot from my dining room table. The target was 6m away.

These distances worked well for me, I had tried a few other locations too. However the results between an ipad mini and ipad 2 were drastically different. Often the ipad 2 would not register a shot. The ipad mini flared much better. I did get somewhat consistent results. Were these in line with actual speeds? Hard to say but based on reported speeds for several of the guns I tested, the results weren't too far off. Can this app be trusted? Certainly not, especially seeing how different devices can give you such variants.

Also note that this app is a bit of a scam. The developer hasn't touched the app (including the Pro) for quite sometime now. He has made no effort to support and expand on the Pro version despite many user input. Meanwhile he seems content to collect the money that keeps coming in. And fyi based on what I read, the Pro version will not get you any better results.

And that's a shame, really. This app in theory works and if the developer would make the effort to continue development, it could be a good alternative to an actual chrony. Well, not for those worried about breaking the law by going over 500fps with their CO2 pistols but at least it could be made to give somewhat closer results.

After having tried it and seeing the lack of support from the developer I have no desire to touch it again. It's not worth the time/effort. Maybe in the future someone will develop something similar but for now my suggestion is to forget about it. It will give you more or a headache and inconsistent results than it's worthy of your time.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:35 am 

Great response, Thank You. I agree a great app in theory and should be workable. The video is pretty convincing and I don't know if the app developer was involved with it or not. At least the price of it means I have nothing to loose.
Cheers
Tango