Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 am 

Interesting how the price of the real Ruger 10/22 & the airgun version are within $30 in price at Cabela's.

Airgun version (full power) is $239.99:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/132149/r ... -air-rifle

The real firearm is $269.99, on sale at Cabela's:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/133513/r ... e-charcoal

Go figure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:34 am 

A plus on this is you buy the real gun and never ever have a problem . No so with the rep. I'm an older yank, and know the 1022 well. Have a good day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 am 

There really isn't that much difference in constructing an AG vs PB material wise. Hand tuning is where costs come into play but a 1022 being mass produced there is little to do for qa. My AG's generally trend more expensive than their PB equivalent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:45 am 

Hmm.... Thinks the only advantage is pellet is cheaper than bullets... :)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:15 pm 

YepYep wrote:

Pellet has many advantages over bullet other than price. The kinetic energy is suitable for indoor use and much less lethal so ideal for pest control. The sound signature is suitable for indoor use. Even 22lr quiets are loud enough to cause hearing damage. Easier to transport ammunition. For the most part I prefer AG over PB. It's very convenient for me to shoot AG. PB not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:17 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
There really isn't that much difference in constructing an AG vs PB material wise. Hand tuning is where costs come into play but a 1022 being mass produced there is little to do for qa. My AG's generally trend more expensive than their PB equivalent.

Not too sure about that. Engineering standards of the pb versions would have to be a lot higher than that of a co2 powered airgun. Also the materials being used, now I'm speculating here, but most airguns I play with are made from pot metal, aluminum alloy, brass, plastic, all attached to some (maybe) 4130 steel pressure vessel. Good enough for co2.
Now, the lowly 22lr on average operates at 12000psi, and is required to withstand 24000psi according to saami.

Not that I have looked at or handled a 10-22 airgun, but I'm going to guess that the barrel is a soda straw barrel inside a cast aluminum shroud.

Not trying to come off as a jerk or anything here, they might look the same, but they are not even close. We don't need to give anyone the idea that their replica airgun can handle a powder charge. I know first hand what happens when you mess with that kinda thing :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:17 pm 

killercrow wrote:
I'm going to guess that the barrel is a soda straw barrel inside a cast aluminum shroud. :

[emoji38] no guessing ~ that's exactly what I found on my SIG MCX co2.... Thinks the stainless steel straws I bought from Aliexpress would be stiffer than the barrel in the MCX...

'soda straw' just a very accurate word to describe what it is... :eek:

And the other evidence regarding the replicas.... We usually don't need to pay extra money on the 'weathered' version because if you don't usebit very carefully and gently it will just turn 'weathered' very soon.... :eek: :eek:

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:42 pm 

YepYep wrote:
We usually don't need to pay extra money on the 'weathered' version because if you don't use it very carefully and gently it will just turn 'weathered' very soon.... :eek: :eek:
I don't pay extra money on the 'weathered' version because i use them and they turn 'weathered' very soon.
..and that's the best.

holster wear. metal triggers. slide scrape. high points worn as lain on sides.the 'oops i dropped it' scar...

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:56 am 

killercrow wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

Not too sure about that. Engineering standards of the pb versions would have to be a lot higher than that of a co2 powered airgun. Also the materials being used, now I'm speculating here, but most airguns I play with are made from pot metal, aluminum alloy, brass, plastic, all attached to some (maybe) 4130 steel pressure vessel. Good enough for co2.
Now, the lowly 22lr on average operates at 12000psi, and is required to withstand 24000psi according to saami.

Not that I have looked at or handled a 10-22 airgun, but I'm going to guess that the barrel is a soda straw barrel inside a cast aluminum shroud.

Not trying to come off as a jerk or anything here, they might look the same, but they are not even close. We don't need to give anyone the idea that their replica airgun can handle a powder charge. I know first hand what happens when you mess with that kinda thing :lol:

Without question PB are manufactured to handle higher pressure tolerances. There is more material used at higher grade to compensate as you have mentioned.There is even more plastic used on the plastic stock. I'm being misleading in my statements for sure. I had a picture in my mind of my cheap break barrel. Crap quality but solid materials. Wood stock and full metal barrel. There are cheap 22lr.s similar in construction. The cost in materials between the two couldn't be that far off. Why would that ag be so much cheaper than the 10-22 when there is so much more actual steel being used in construction? Where it's made. Especially labor costs in the east vs the west.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:00 am 

Pretty simple. Ruger has the licence and the Replica maker has to paid the licence fee on each Replica produced. If not for the licence fee the Ruger 1022 airgun would be a $100 gun. Likely only worth $100. IMHO I own one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 am 

The power for a firearm comes from the cartridge. The power for most airguns has to be incorporated into the gun, so the design is more complicated. The shells that can be charged with CO2 or compressed air should significantly reduce the cost of the guns that shoot them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Pellet has many advantages over bullet other than price. The kinetic energy is suitable for indoor use and much less lethal so ideal for pest control. The sound signature is suitable for indoor use. Even 22lr quiets are loud enough to cause hearing damage. Easier to transport ammunition. For the most part I prefer AG over PB. It's very convenient for me to shoot AG. PB not so much.

Airgun pose the same risk of hearing damage. Full Stop. Many think oh it's just a airgun, I dont need to wear ear plugs. Anything over 80 DB, can lead to hearing damage... Most of the AGs I've shot were close to 100DB, some closer to 120..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:26 am 

leadslinger wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Airgun pose the same risk of hearing damage. Full Stop. Many think oh it's just a airgun, I dont need to wear ear plugs. Anything over 80 DB, can lead to hearing damage... Most of the AGs I've shot were close to 100DB, some closer to 120..

I should've stated my airguns are all ~12 fpe or less. My loudest being a pcp shooting ~6 fpe which may hit 78 db? Something like that. If any louder I'd wear ear plugs which I may still do to try and isolate myself from all external influences/distractions. All my springers have a lower sound signature. Thanks leadslinger, I shouldn't be making statements without providing the facts behind them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:52 am 

leadslinger wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Yeah, this need to be minded as the pandemic we looks more often shooting indoors, like in a basement something, which will make the noise louder than in the open areas...

~Target~

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:19 am 

Mac wrote:
The power for a firearm comes from the cartridge. The power for most airguns has to be incorporated into the gun, so the design is more complicated. The shells that can be charged with CO2 or compressed air should significantly reduce the cost of the guns that shoot them.

Interesting comment Mac.

Anyone know where one could get a self contained air cartridge, air gun, possibly a revolver? Is anyone still making them? Possibly in Asia?

I understood a company called Brocock in England made these types of airguns, but quit making them a number of years ago. And I think they are still made for airsoft shotguns. Was wondering if any made for steel BB's & pellet guns.

Seems like an interesting idea. Would certainty make production of an airgun a lot easier. No more problems with leaking seals & valves. If you have an air leak, it can be isolated to one single cartridge.