Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: ....And a Big Hello
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:24 pm 

Have been pellet/BB gun enthusiast since I was 13 and received my first bb gun. I've had several over the following 40+/-, Including a BEAUTIFUL Weihrauch that ended up in the bottom of a class 4 rapid, OUCH!!!
I now have a Cometa handgun and a 1997 Benjamin 397PA.
My Benji needs a rivet replaced on the forearm link lever assembly. It still pumps but the motion to pump is sloppy and its on its last legs. I've brought this to a gunsmith who charge me $30 and handed my rifle back to me in exactly the same position it was in when I dropped it off.
So, I've decided to sell this, or not, depending on whether anybody has any use in fixing it themselves, and upgrading to a new rifle. Hence my discovery, and registration to this WONDERFUL airgun blog spot.

Ideas?

Post subject: Re: ....And a Big Hello
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:39 pm 

Hello, welcome.

I can't be of much help with your rifle unfortunately, but if he didn't do any work on it, I would've refused to pay him.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:52 pm 

Yes you are exactly right.

I chose to make peace, bite my tongue and leave his place of business, never to return.
He told me it would be 3 days, then pushed me till the next week because the part didn't work, then the next week to order another part, then another week.
Literally was over 3 weeks if memory serves me, and then I finally drive 30 minutes to go pick it up....AND ALL HE DID WAS PUT BACK THE SAME BROKEN RIVET THAT I HAD TAKEN OUT THE DAY BEFORE I DROPPED IT OFF.

I was so angry, I thought the best thing to do was to bite my tongue and leave.

I have approx. $400 budget to buy another rifle. I like the idea of .22 or larger with not less than 800-900 fps and must be accurate. I'll never kill anything, unless its eating things in my garage, but I like the idea of having something to hunt with just the same.

What rifle would you lean towards given these parameters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:58 pm 

I don't have a specific rifle in mind, but if you need very good accuracy and a high velocity .22 and higher, a PCP seems to fit your needs.

A spring powered rifle is accurate, but you have to learn artillery hold.

The downside with a PCP is you'll need a tank or a hand pump, and with a hand pump it will take around 200 or more pumps to fill the reservoir, the tank will obviously cost you money each fill.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:36 pm 

Thanks for the ideas. However, I'm disabled and pumping is out of the question.
I think I'm looking at a springer and I'll get better at the artillery hold.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm 

Understandable.

Some of the other guys will probably be by with specific recommendations of springers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 pm 

Welcome to the forum, shotinthedark.
Thanks for joining us; we look forward to your participation.
If you haven't already done so, please read and keep in mind the rules of this forum.
You'll find them here: https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/forum34.html

Also, members here consider adding your location to your profile a standard courtesy.
Here's how to do it: topic80653.html

Enjoy your membership.
Murray.

P.S. Rather than continue your discussions regarding a new air gun here, start a new post in the General Airgun Chat section, so people will see your request.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:45 am 

Hi shotinthedark. Welcome.
With 400 saved, I would wait another couple months, add another one to 2 hundred and get a decent HW Springer.