Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:19 pm 

Hey folks, I'm Steve, new here to the forum, looking to get into the air gun world.
I have been scouring the internet for the past few weeks looking for the "right" one for me.
Unfortunately confusion has set in.....springer, gas piston, C02, break barrel, or underlever :shock:
My goal is an accurate rifle, I do have a PAL, and want more than 495 fps.
Used mainly for target work and maybe the odd backyard pest (RATS!)
I would prefer .177, but am certainly open to any advice.
I also do have a budget, $350+-
I do have a few that I've zeroed in on...Hatsan 95 Vortex, Xisico XS46U Full Power Underlever, Gamo Swarm, Umarex Forge .177 Cal, Kral N01 W, Kral N07.
Wow, any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm 

Welcome to the forum, can't advise you on the models you have in mind but others will sure do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:39 am 

Welcome to the forum.
- for backyard plinking, don't forget to check your local bylaws...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:23 am 

I certainly will thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:07 am 

Assuming it is legal to do so, keep in mind that
- sub 500fps rifle have killed their fair of pest, as long you keep the distance reasonable
- a +500fps is considered a firearm, along with all the rules and regulations pertaining to them

I'd stay away from the rifle promising spectacular +1000fps velocity
- Weihrauch (HW) and Diana have a strong following, and have been known to make quality airguns.
- You could also save a little more $ and get a TX200 and be done with it... then again, it's 2x your initial budget

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:02 am 

Welcome

Generally speaking springs and gas rams are less accurate than their pneumatic counterparts, CO2 and PCP. Fixed barrel more accurate than break. There are always exceptions to the rule.

The springers you listed will do a respectable job if you do your part and you feed them the pellets they like. Not likely to win any competitions but well suited for plinking. As sillymike mentioned, for many competition winning accuracy for spring powered is the TX200 or the HW97. I prefer pcp but that is a few steps higher in price point. More than a few actually.

Enjoy the ride...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:37 pm 

Sillymike, you mentioned sub 500fps rifles, which is certainly an option, again are there any good ones out there that don't break the bank? I would even consider a good used one from someone here on the forum.
Also would I be correct or misinformed with this statement: Some of the sub 500fps rifles have the same platform as the high power siblings, just detuned power plants....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:11 pm 

Welcome; I started with a Hatsan 95.Heavy weight,wise.I sold it a month later.Started into pcp's.Mine were higher than what you are wanting to spend.But,they also had the ability.To increase there power[500-860] fps,with a turn of a knob

Maybe look at uk version you tube video's .Airgun101.com,AAR airguns,AirGunGear show.Reason for just suggesting these guys.They being UK,are limited to sub12ft/lbs,for rifles.They have to get other appropriate licences for Over 12ft/lbs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:43 pm 

nssteve wrote:
Also would I be correct or misinformed with this statement: Some of the sub 500fps rifles have the same platform as the high power siblings, just detuned power plants....

I'm not a springer guy, but I'm pretty sure the the only difference between a -500fps VS a +500fps airgun is the spring/piston and maybe the air port.
- So one could modify a sub 500 to a PAL rated airgun. In which case, the it becomes a firearms as far as the law is concerned.

Buying new, a Diana/Weihrauch would probably get my vote (assuming I didn't want to save up for Air Arms and be done with it :wink: )
- You'd think it would be easy to find a nice-used British BSA/Webley... But I guess people just keep them.