Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:44 pm 

Is it at all possible to convert a Crosman 1077 .177 into a .22??

I'll let your Modder Gears turn!

thanks folks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:17 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

The 1077 as-it-comes from the factory is already 'weak' in output with .177 pellets- .22's will just slow it down alot more.

You'd need an appropriately sized .22 barrel, cut the mounting tabs in the receiver to hold it (thicker), drill out the front barrel tube mount, fabricate a clip to fit the channel you would need to put in the new barrel to allow barrel movement for getting jammed pellets out, machine the rear of the barrel to give it the 'cone' shape to match the profile needed to meet the magazine. Then, find a magazine to hold .22s and still fit in the cartridge- drilling out the .177 magazine won't work- not enough material on it. Then you need to expand the output hole in the valve tip to better match the diameter of the .22 pellet.

Then- you'll have a 1077 shooting .22s that MIGHT do 350fps (Canadian tuned gun) or 475fps (not detuned 1077). So- time to do every mod you can think of to a 1077 and likely ending up needing to machine a custom valve assembly that would have a larger volume and it would not fit in the 1077 receiver and have to poke out the side of the receiver. Then- you'll be using significantly more Co2- so it better be bulk-fed ($65 USD adapter from MaxZbulk) plus the hose and tank.

What's the end result, a modified 1077 that hopefully might achieve 600fps, have twice it's purchase price in parts/accessories added to it to operate reasonably- and still not be able to shoot a squirrel with any real definition.

Total, complete and absolute waste of time, IMO. And I own two 1077s- so you can't call me a 'hater' or somesuch. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:23 pm 

:lol: wow....thats quite a bit of advice....and question answerd....im just looking for a semi auto .22 that can go about 500 FPS or lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:40 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I think you're skee-rewed on that one. There are multi-shot .22 caliber rifles out there- like the Webley Spectre Mark 2, Weihrauch HW100, Evanix AR6, FX Airguns FX-2000 or their Black Widow, or a Shinsung Career Infinity- probably a couple more I'm forgetting as well.

The problem even with all these choices? The cheapest one (the ShinSung) is still around $600 US, and none of them have an output of less that 800fps. Perhaps someone de-tunes them for importation into Canada- but, Why?

Get rid of the idea of a repeater, and your choices and price range go way up. Stick with .177 and there are cheaper units available. But put .22 and repeater and "less than 500fps" all together- ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:56 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

After thinking about this for a minute- perhaps the 'cheapest' way to get what you want is a Crosman Nightstalker. It's powered by an AirSource cartridge (88g) so you could avoid having to "bulk" it. It would need most of the same mods as the 1077 to work- but the biggest, and most expensive aspect to it would probably be designing and building a magazine that could fit .22s, be made of aluminum so the rifle can still rotate it (and hold less than 12 shots to be able to do all this). The barrel work would be relatively simple for someone with a lathe large enough to hold it, and if you did all the "typical" mods to a Nightstalker- you'd probably fall just under the 500fps mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:47 am 

hmmm....I'll check into it...what do you think it would cost to get all that done?