Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:53 am 

This question goes out to all the BOSS valve owners:

I'm trying to compare or build an average of the per/shot ratio to the stock and BOSS valve. Maybe somebody can confirm or revise my findings:

Stock valve: 30 full-power shots + 30 decreasing-power shots = 60 shots

BOSS valve: 20 full power shots + 23 decreasing-power shots = 43 shots

I was considering buying the valve to up the FPS, but my concern was the reduced amount of shots per powerlett and consequently the added expense of having to buy more powerlets.

I'm not considering bulk to be an option because I don't like the appearance of a bottle hanging (I know it's benefits, but I won't compensate for what I want the pistol to look like)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:25 pm 

You Cannot Use One Here On A Pistol Without A Restricted Lic. :!:

Whats wrong with people (NEW) coming or joining up here and using the search feature :?: :twisted:

These Valves only get 17-full powered shots per powerlet, period!It's written up very clearly on the CrookedBarns WebSite...

Unless you use the Bulk System, period!

Have fun trying to get ahold of Cooper-T though :lol: :lol:

Now the only legal way of using one of these is to build a #2250, or a #2260 and install it into it. It's not that big of a deal either. There is only so much that can be done with the #2240 Valve-->PERIOD

Without a PAL you can't own one.And you can use it if it's in Rifle or (Carbine form)<-- :roll: Atleast 26" long and NO shorter. If it's in a pistol form you will need a Restricted Lic. Period :!: O-and yes it has to be registered :idea: With the use of the numbers on the Action Tube. (Serial-No.#'s)

Krazy Mike... :wink:

EDIT: I just hope this doesn't start up the younger members asking amillion :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:35 pm 

Right, but that's why "new" people need the advice of "experienced" users to help them. Or else, how else would those "new" ppl no longer be "new"?

Thanks for your help, and I'm fully aware of the 500fps limit.
More importantly, from what you say, a reduced 17 shots p/powerlet from approx 50-60 is a dramatic reduction.

In turn, not worth the hassle of having to register (because I will keep the pistol to pistol spec - no carbine, no extended barrel), pay for the valve, and ultimately having to be bleeding CO2 to get the most out of the 2240...one more expense/hassle. So I really thank you for bringing that to light - Bryan & Assoc. would not give me a straight answer, hence me coming to the forum here.

But just out of curiousity, to register a restricted 500+FPS firearm...what cost/process is involved in acquiring a PAL?
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:25 pm 
Admin-2-IC

If you just want to increase a little bit of power out of 2240 with stock
7" barrel, just enlarge the porting, do not mod the valve and do not
increase the hammer spring, you should be able to get close to 495 fps
with good pellet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:26 pm 

Just go to your local Gun Shoppe, there will tell you what is needed, simple. B&A won't tell you anything as there there ones who build the thing ie: "BossValve".For one thing you should know what your doing firstly. The Crosman #2240 Valve isn't all that for one thing, I mean the basic design of it. The B&A Valve is just bigger inside of it by alittle bit, better port angle etc, thats about it. If you have a PAL you just need to Register it thats all. The whole deal can get pretty expensive if you go about doing it. Not worth it to me in the long run...The PAL and the course is around $170.-$200. now I would think. It's most likely gone up though... :wink:

Mike... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:29 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Here is my performance 2240 with stock hammer spring, econo B&A bulk,
SS bolt, SS trigger, cr metal breech, 2250 tube with stock 7" barrel.
my home carve grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:39 pm 

This is another reason why I'm much better off bringing this to the attention to the 2240 owners. Again thanks a lot for the clearing up.

Trust me I have a good grasp of how the pneumatics are improved through porting in the valve - I'm also an avid paintballer. The B&A valve sure caught my attention though...but hell, I'm loosing 30+ shots p/powerlet, having to pay for B&A valve, more powerlets to keep up with C02 consumption rate, and possibly $200 for a PAL...yeah it doesn't take a math genius to see the expense this valve is going to rack up.

Maybe as a LAST upgrade...or do it all up and try to avoid the PAL and getting caught with a restricted firearm...but I dun really feel like breaking the law.

You've guys have really helped, cuz I really was thinking of the PAL avoidance and doing it anyways, but one thing I can't avoid is the cost.

BTW: how would I increase the porting on my stock 7"?

B&A are just going to have to wait. Maybe I'll invest in an SS trigger or sear spring...btw sear spring: worth buying or just as worth extending the spring on a DIY level?

Post subject: 2240
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:43 pm 

Sniper - Now THAT is pretty..............Jeeeez.....can I say 'pretty'? Is it it OK for one guy to tell another guy that his gun is 'pretty'? Maybe I should of said 'hunkamotious'? Crap - that sounds worse than 'pretty'. Ok, then your gun is 'battlatious'.......nope......sounds like it should have eyelashes....OK...I'm lost now.........nice gun.....we'll leave it at that :D

Cheers - Gus

Sempre 5 - a lot of modding info is available as a 'sticky' at the top of the 'Mods and repairs' section. You should be able to pick up most of what you need in there. Have fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:01 pm 
Admin-2-IC

....... hahahaha .......... LOL ....... Thanks Tailgunner.

Hi Sempre_5,

The porting is easy, replace the original one with 1/4" polytubing,
you can get it at CT for 99 cent/ft.
if you have dremel will help alot on porting the barrel transfer port
or else just drill it but NOT too big, the pellet will falls thru.... lol..

The Sear spring you can use similar spring like the stock 2240 hammer
spring or CT would have something like it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm 

the transfer port mod, seems a bit on the technical side...which I wouldn't not accept as a challenge but prefer for somebody who really knows what they're doing to perform for me.

And after all I have NO tools whatsoever. I can go to CT and get the materials but that's it.

PS: what spring could I get at CT for replacing the sear spring?

Anybody have the tools that can help me perform the mods for maybe a couple of bucks?

Last edited by Sempre_5 on Mon May 21, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:11 pm 

Hi Dan,
Yes thats a pretty Gun you've got there for sure. But, one problem arises if the person doesn't have the proper permits etc for it just for the reason of the tube says #2250 on it. They don't go by the Barrel's lenght. But yes that would keep it below the 500 limit. Theres alot of different scenarious that could happen with that AG, that abegginer doesn't want to endure I'd think eh ?

EDIT: CTC has nothing as far as springs are concerned for this application that I could find. An Auto Store such as NAPA might have better ruck... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:07 pm 

REPOST: Any takers on some assistance in performing with the mods within GTA? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:44 pm 
Admin-2-IC

CT has the single package spring, they're at the hardware section.

There must be somebody in AJAX from CAF that can help you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:47 pm 

yeah my buddy's a manager there, lol.
He got my 2240 for $80 flat. But that info's not to leave this forum ;) hehe

I'll definitely put this on my checklist.
I don't suppose there's a certain package name I should look for or measurements?

the spring will be replacing the stock sear spring or were we talking both sear spring and hammer spring?

EDIT: Is there any really big improvement with the SS trigger? It's a bit pricey of a mod for just the trigger. and I can imagine a trigger shoe would have no problem being mounted, since the shape of both stock and SS trigger are very much alike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:48 pm 

Try CharlieDaTuna's WebSite for a different Sear. They werk great. You need to take the #2240 apart and get a grip on the size of everything inside of it before you start Modding it at all. The spring outta a #2289 werks the best, and alighter spring for the Sear is also the best. My Trigger Pull in mine is about 1.5-lb's of Pull... I'll sell you a B&A Boss for a C-Note...Hehehe Bad Joke of the day.

Krazy Mike... :roll: