Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:36 pm 

Hey folks,

I slipped up today and have wrecked a really nice stock.

I was cocking my HW80, when the barrel slipped and snapped shut. I had the rifle butt end, braced against my thigh and when the barrel closed, it had enough force to snap the stock at the pistol grip. To say I am angry at myself, is an understatement.

The crack is clean through to the other side and I have attached a picture to show the damage.
I am just hoping the rest of the action is not badly damaged. I can't find anything obvious, so far.

I am in no way a stock maker or repair person, so I am thinking this stock is ruined.
I do know stocks can be repaired, but it's a matter of if it's worthwhile and feasible on a break barrel with this type of stock break.

Anyone have any advice while I continue to kick myself for doing this?

Thanks!
Dave

Attachments:
broken stock.png
broken stock.png [ 734.53 KiB | Viewed 775 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:00 pm 

Ouch! :shock: It would take some skill to get it to nearly good as new, but I think it could be repaired. The break looks pretty clean and there is a lot of material there along the fracture surface to work with, maybe some pins and glue and a stock refinish would get it back in action. How does it shoot after the accident, or are you timid to try to cock and shoot it in its current condition? An accident like that may cause a bent barrel.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:11 pm 

if you can have a small gap in the crack and squeeze some glue into the crack, then press is together and let it dry, after that drill from the inside across the crack and insert a dowel or a threaded screw into in with glue and let it dry. That's probably the most that i can think off.
Of course the cosmetics is a different story, you can either strip the entire thing and redo the oiling and staining or paint the entire thing in black or just do a touch up.

Last edited by pistolero on Sun May 22, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:14 pm 

I have not tried to shoot it, as I am indeed afraid to stress the stock.

A potential bent barrel has occurred to me. I have an old factory stock I could put it in, to test it out.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:21 pm 

it looks like the crack is big enough to squeeze some glue into it, i wouldnt be concern about the stress in it, if it was mine, i would like it to have a more clean wide opening so squeezing glue into it would be much easier and pressing it from the top and bottom.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:28 pm 

pistolero wrote:
it looks like the crack is big enough to squeeze some glue into it, i wouldnt be concern about the stress in it, if it was mine, i would like it to have a more clean wide opening so squeezing glue into it would be much easier and pressing it from the top and bottom.

The break is clean across the stock to the other side of the pistol grip. I could pry it open some more and squeeze some glue in there but my fear is that I would end up snapping off the rest of the stock.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 pm 

use a flat head screw driver and wedge it into the crack to open up a little bit so you can squeeze glue into the crack totally inside, make sure you make a contraption clamp to squeeze from the top and bottom while the glue is drying up. for glue cleanup just wipe it with a wet rag on the squeeze out.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 pm 

pistolero wrote:
use a flat head screw driver and wedge it into the crack to open up a little bit so you can squeeze glue into the crack totally inside, make sure you make a contraption clamp to squeeze from the top and bottom while the glue is drying up. for glue cleanup just wipe it with a wet rag on the squeeze out.

Honestly, I thought glue wouldn't be strong enough. But now that I think about it, isn't gluing wood panels together how they make laminate wood? haha :D

Do you have any recommendations for the type of glue or just something like Elmer's Wood glue?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:55 pm 

Wood glue is pretty strong, you cant imagine what it can hold, i usually use what ever that is on sale like gorilla wood glue, but if you really like to be safe titebond is available in homedepot and look for one that is stainable so its easy to get it to soak the stain for the touch up.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:46 pm 

Use thin CA glue that will wick or creep into fissures and cracks. Get the medium fast set type and work quickly and get it clamped. It will be stronger that the original.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:13 am 
Site Moderator

There is some great advice here. I had a similar crack on a rifle that I was given a few months ago. I used a couple of small wedges to open up the crack and then squeezed in some carpenter's glue and wrapped the grip with heavy duty rubber tubing to keep the crack closed. Once dry I drilled a pilot hole up through the grip and then used a very long wood screw coated in epoxy. Clean up around the screw while the epoxy is wet. Once the epoxy was dry I cut off the screw head and carefully ground the screw to wood level using a Dremel tool.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:46 am 

I cracked the stock of my Remington 760 when I hooked it on a tree riding through the bush on a quad. I just pried it open a little, used some Lepages wood glue, then used a hose clamp to hold it tight. Thirty-five years later it is still holding.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:25 am 

Some good tips already given.

Using a syringe to inject the glue will help to get the glue well into the crack.

Use plenty of clamps to ensure that the crack is solidly closed while the glue sets. Use shims and spacers to ensure that everything is held solidly aligned.

After the glue cures, drill a blind hole down into the pistol grip from inside the inletting, and glue in a 1/2 " or 9/16" hardwood dowel. Once the glue has cured, use a Dremel to finish the dowel end flush with the inletting. The repair will be as strong, if not stronger than the original.

This repair has been holding strong for 20 years.

Attachment:
brkstk04.jpg
brkstk04.jpg [ 55.38 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]

Attachment:
brkstk06.jpg
brkstk06.jpg [ 41.36 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:07 am 

Did the barrel bend upwards? That also happens sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:36 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Did the barrel bend upwards? That also happens sometimes.

I can't see a bend, but it might not be discernible visually with the naked eye. Maybe putting a yardstick alongside could tell me if it's bent severely.

I'll have to look into it later, as I'm booked up with family events today, being a long weekend. :)