Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Outer barrel threading
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:12 am 

Just wondering if anyone has threaded the outer barrel on a pistol. For attachment of a mock suppressor or if you tried it did it just destroy the barrel. I need to tap it to 12mm cw, I have a tap and die set.
It’s a glock 19 with fixed outer barrel
Just want that cool factor look

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:23 am 

Whenever I thread the OD of a barrel, I single-point thread in the lathe, taking shallow cuts, to avoid any possible distortion.... I then clean up the threads with a die or thread chaser nut to final size.... I don't use a die for the entire process, as I am concerned that it might collapse the barrel slightly, adding a "choke" (which could be good or bad).... I have no idea if my concerns are warranted or not....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:30 am 

Thank you the insight Bob
I should be more specific about what I wish to do
I want to thread the inner portion of a outer barrel to accept a adapter
Looking at the barrel it seems to have a enough meat to try this
I’m not too concerned if it doesn’t work as i bought this glock and a 1911 as my first air guns
Got both for $50 so if it fails I won’t be crying about it lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:40 am 

rsterne wrote:
Whenever I thread the OD of a barrel, I single-point thread in the lathe, taking shallow cuts, to avoid any possible distortion.... I then clean up the threads with a die or thread chaser nut to final size.... I don't use a die for the entire process, as I am concerned that it might collapse the barrel slightly, adding a "choke" (which could be good or bad).... I have no idea if my concerns are warranted or not....

Bob

The die is a cutting tool, and the forces are generally circumferential.
Unlikely you would get any load on a die to plasticaly deform the barrel and create a choke; heat and residual stresses may be be a concern, but Bob's technique should avoid that. The main issue with cutting only with a die would be not having the thread concentric with the bore. However for a mock suppressor on a pistol that serves only for cosmetic embellishment, a simple garage die threading with appropriate cutting fluid should be perfectly cromulent. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:46 am 

I would also be concerned about a die compressing the bore. In a normal barrel, if it happened, this would quite likely be hardly measurable, however I would not use just the die alone
for the same reason(s) Bob suggested. Using a die at all, I would make not more than 1/8 turns, then clear the chips, 1/8th turn then clear.
Old time threading die plates of the iron & case hardening era actually swaged threads onto a rod, with no cutting, so that action might also happen to a small extent when using a die.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:40 pm 

Quote:
I want to thread the inner portion of a outer barrel to accept a adapter
Do you mean you want to thread the inside of a shroud but not the barrel itself?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:47 pm 

On the glock 19 gen 3 nbb the outer barrel is fixed so I guess it’s called a shroud the inner barrel moves when fired
I’m have no intentions of threading the inner barrel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:39 pm 

I'll assume the false barrel is made from potmetal like most replica, and tell you that I personally wouldn't fear doing the job. Potmetal is usually very easy to make threads into, especially with a good quality cutting fluid and good condition tools. I suggest however to be prudent if you're not too familiar with this kind of work: engage the tap into the barrel, turn a full first turn then back-up, then go only half a turn at a time, backing up a quarter turn. Go slowly and take all the time you need, this is no production work lol, you're supposed to have fun :wink: . That would help if you can hold the pistol in a vertical position so you can easily see if the tap is well aligned. HTH.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:47 am 

Update the thread adapter I need for this project is finally on the way I could not locate one in North American all sold out so ordered one one from China
Now trying to locate a mock suppressor this is going to be interesting some day I will
Update later on
Cheers