Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:05 pm 

I recently purchased a Roebel .22 under lever air rifle. Though I had never heard of the manufacture the gun appealed to me as it was made from metal and wood. After bringing it home and shooting it many times I determined there was a major problem with the accuracy. I could not even hit a pop can that was placed only a few meters down range. My only idea on what could cause this inaccuracy was the oil that the guy put down the barrel and receiver when I purchased the gun. The store owner said he had to oil it as the gun had been sitting on the shelf for a wile. Unfortunately I can't take it back so I'm looking for help on how to fix this thing. Also wondering if I strip and clean the gun would that help any? For anyone that has spent the time to read this long post I thank you.

Attachments:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441148669.597776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441148669.597776.jpg [ 115.6 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm 

There are quite a lot of things that can cause a lack of accuracy. But first things first, imho you should definitely clean the barrel, and then try different brands and models of pellets. Also check the stock screws to see if they're tight. If you don't get accuracy at all with any pellet, then there may be a problem with your rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:00 pm 

There are really only a few things to look for. First, yes clean the whole gun, even inside the compression chamber because thats where dieseling can occur. Then next is to use quality pellets. Crosman hollow points are probably the easiest to find in a so so pellet. NEVER POINTED pellets. JSB would be best. Third is to check the crown. A lot of mass produced guns have poor crowns which will spray pellets like a shotgun. The crown needs to be centered perfectly around the hole, not necessarily centered around the muzzle, as some barrels are slightly off center but still shoot well if the crown is concentric.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:07 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
There are really only a few things to look for. First, yes clean the whole gun, even inside the compression chamber because thats where dieseling can occur. Then next is to use quality pellets. Crosman hollow points are probably the easiest to find in a so so pellet. NEVER POINTED pellets. JSB would be best. Third is to check the crown. A lot of mass produced guns have poor crowns which will spray pellets like a shotgun. The crown needs to be centered perfectly around the hole, not necessarily centered around the muzzle, as some barrels are slightly off center but still shoot well if the crown is concentric.
you've brought a new issue to the table, I've been using pointed Crosman pellets in all my guns should I not?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:10 pm 

matt1415 wrote:
joe hickey wrote:
you've brought a new issue to the table, I've been using pointed Crosman pellets in all my guns should I not?

Try other pellets you may be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:23 pm 

joe hickey wrote:

Joe nailed it, with the added extra oil it WILL cause your gun to diesel therefore throw off your accuracy due to inconsistant compression/combustion... now that its gone this far either shoot it til it settles down and order a new piston seal in the meantime then peel her apart, replace the piston seal, deburr, lube and recrown... good pellets make a difference in different guns but them chinese guns need a whole lot'a lovin to make them decent shooters even if its jist to smoke a can or 14 lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:29 pm 

Hacked2Pieces wrote:
joe hickey wrote:

Joe nailed it, with the added extra oil it WILL cause your gun to diesel therefore throw off your accuracy due to inconsistant compression/combustion... now that its gone this far either shoot it til it settles down and order a new piston seal in the meantime then peel her apart, replace the piston seal, deburr, lube and recrown... good pellets make a difference in different guns but them chinese guns need a whole lot'a lovin to make them decent shooters even if its jist to smoke a can or 14 lol
on the topic of cleaning guns. What is the best way to clean rust from the outside of the barrel?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:30 pm 

Didn't mean to double quote on that one, sorry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:18 pm 

Yeah, I'll just pop in with my two cents and agree with Joe on the pointed pellet thing. They sell well to beginners. That's about the best thing one can say about pointed pellets. I've had awful groups with every pointed pellet I've tried, even out of my $2,000 Pardini. They're a bad idea. A Predator Polymag on the other hand can be an excellent choice, provided it agrees with your gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:53 pm 

never heard of having to oil a gun as it was sitting too long? the sticky oil manufacturers use can withstand anything for a long period of time from my experience. I'd be suspicious as to exactly why the business owner would walk in one morning and think, hmm I should oil that air gun? sounds fishy to me. clean it up try again and see what it does. what business doesn't have a 30 day return policy if not satisfied? sound weird to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:17 pm 

xtremevert wrote:
never heard of having to oil a gun as it was sitting too long? the sticky oil manufacturers use can withstand anything for a long period of time from my experience. I'd be suspicious as to exactly why the business owner would walk in one morning and think, hmm I should oil that air gun? sounds fishy to me. clean it up try again and see what it does. what business doesn't have a 30 day return policy if not satisfied? sound weird to me.

The more often you forget to oil your air gun, the better.