Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 2240 safety
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:27 pm 

Hi all

Here's a question for those that know about a 2240 and the modding possibilities with this gun.

Do you know how HARD it is to find a safety spring that flies out of the gun at near ( just a guesstimate) 100fps?......lol... I DO!...lol

I have ordered some parts from air gun Eric which have not yet arrived. So i decided to take the 2240 apart and have a look at what i will be changing when the parts get here and maybe polish the trigger and sear a bit to see how much difference it would make. I knew full well to be careful of that little,tiny,teeny weeny spring and ball that makes the safety work properly and give that little click sound but i guess i had a brain fart and a momentary lapse of concentration and i see the spring leave the gun and fly off to my left and the little ball luckily hit the palm of my hand and fell on my shooting table where i was working on the gun.

The next thing that happened was myself, calmly saying a few choice words and calling myself an idiot. I then started to think about all the stories i have read of people talking about losing the spring or the little ball.

So the search began for the spring. I haven't done my spring cleaning yet in the garage, that's where i do my shooting during the winter months.
The first thing i grabbed was a magnet pen, the one's that extend a couple of feet and i started to sweep it around the general area i thought it might be but the only thing i was catching was metal shavings, metal drilling's and a bunch of metal dust. Then I started to look on the work bench top. Ok, so far nothing. Lets look a bit further away, no luck.

So i gave up after about 10 or 15 minutes. I finished polishing the trigger and sear and put the gun back together with a loose safety and took a few shots to see if it was working properly and if the safety did not shift around and hindered pulling the trigger.

As I got up from the shooting table i glanced down and i saw the spring...instant joy filled my heart...woo hoo...lol...so I sat back down and took the gun apart again and made that safety work properly again.
The spot that i found the spring was a spot that i had already looked and ran the magnet past so I'm guessing the spring was stuck to me somehow. I was wearing a fleece jacket cus it was a bit chilly in the garage since i have stopped heating it for the winter and i guess the fleece had a bit of sticking power that the spring was attracted to and eventually fell off of me while i was shooting. What luck. I truly believe in the law of opposites and in this case I had bad luck and the good luck came soon after.

So, this little story has a happy ending, I believe every story should have a few things that effect your emotions. Make you angry, sad, wonder, etc. myself i like those stories that give you that little fuzzy happy feeling at the end....lol...and they lived happily after...lol

Is there a lesson to this story? There sure is. Don't have brain farts when working on your 2240 and don't worry if you can't find something cus the Gremlins will eventually put the stuff they stole back in its place...lol

Fab

Post subject: Re: 2240 safety
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:30 pm 

I've had a few similar scares with the safety on my 2289 (identical mechanism). Once I thought I'd lost the little ball only to give up and realize it never actually left the gun...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:33 pm 

Same thing happened to me when I took my 2288 apart, but I lost my ball bering so what I did is I cut a ball from a nail cutter ( most of them come with a lil chain) and I bought for 1 dollar and it works verry well

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:23 pm 

The spring (goes under the "flint" ) in just about any of those cheap disposable lighters (like 'bic" ) will work great in the safety !!! just have to shorten it 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 pm 

packrat wrote:
The spring (goes under the "flint" ) in just about any of those cheap disposable lighters

That's a terrific idea. You would have to cut it a bit to get it to size cus they are pretty long but that would defiantly work.

What about the little ball???
I was thinking you could use a push pin, the kind with a head that is round and cut the pin so that it would stay centered in the spring and cut it short enough that the spring would still have room to be springy once it was put back in it's spot in the gun...you'd have to go raid your wife's or mother's sewing box and take a coupe different sizes to see what will fit best.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:36 pm 

aztek.ajn wrote:
Same thing happened to me when I took my 2288 apart, but I lost my ball bering so what I did is I cut a ball from a nail cutter ( most of them come with a lil chain) and I bought for 1 dollar and it works verry well

00ps i mean 2289 lol, and yes the spring from those cheap bic lighters work very well

crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 am 

For the ball of the safety..you need 1 pellet from a #6 (or #8? ) shot, 12 gauge shotgun shell :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:18 am 

packrat wrote:
For the ball of the safety..you need 1 pellet from a #6 (or #8? ) shot, 12 gauge shotgun shell :mrgreen:

I think that will be harder to get than a ball from a nail cutter, or CT sells those chains made of " steel balls " < it sounds like I'm talking about superman's balls :lol:

crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:10 pm 

Well that little ball and spring from the safety went on vacation and there is no hope of finding the little darlings so I went for a search and google found me a neat replacement. Problem was it was $10.00 and change plus shipping. Too rich for my blood even though they guarenteed it was origional Crosman. Not that sticky about who makes and sells the parts , just want it back together and working. Then further down the list I noticed a thread from another forum. Clicked on it and the poster just said two words.

[b]ZERK FITTING

All the lights went on and I rushed to find my box of old parts and junk. Found one, lightly ground the bottom off of the threaded end and out popped the spring and a perfect sized little ball bearing. Priced one out at the local auto parts store, $0.45
The spring from mine was a little long and slightly tapered but clipping it and giving it a little stretch made it work perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else. A great cheap fix for those O-S--t moments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 pm 

I lost my safety ball out of my 2240 a few years ago. I just went to the welding booth at school and picked a bunch of round weld spatters and one was the right size. Still have it to this day.