Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: This is not a toy...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 pm 

I'm sure everyone has thought about removing it. So, I decided to see if it was possible. I used a Tanfoglio Witness 1911 Blowback for the test. The message is silkscreened with Epoxy ink, so it is very durable. I couldn't use a chemical, because it would also remove the finish. I then tried mechanical solutions:

-Toothpaste - Nothing changed, but the gun smells minty fresh.
-Magic Eraser -This bounced-off the text, and started to remove the finish.
-Super Fine Steel Wool #0000 - Very slighly dulled the text, but removed the finish on the edges of the gun
-Sandpaper - No, don't go there.

The steel wool made the gun look aged and the painted finish looks Parkerized. This is beautiful!

If you are going to do this, plug the barrel and remove the magazine and grips. Plug the magazine cavity with a tissue. Rub the gun assembled (as the "wear" will be realistic) and focus on contact areas and corners. Go slow and check the progress often. Wipe the gun down dry. Dissasemble the gun and clean the parts. Lube and rebuild.

Attachments:
Tanfoglio Witness 1911, Left.jpg
Tanfoglio Witness 1911, Left.jpg [ 138.42 KiB | Viewed 4579 times ]
Tanfoglio Witness 1911, Right.jpg
Tanfoglio Witness 1911, Right.jpg [ 152.32 KiB | Viewed 4579 times ]

Post subject: Re: This is not a toy...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm 

a) I don't see the 'this is not a toy' message erased... perhaps missing a picture?

b) If it's epoxy ink, perhaps acetone would remove it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:18 pm 

Thanks for the comments,

Sorry, I should have provided a conclusion. The paint finish will always be removed before the text. You can't remove the text without stripping off the paint. I was happy with the aged look, so I stopped there.

Acetone will dissolve the paint, becuse they are both Hydrocarbon based.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:38 pm 

Ah. Sorry, should have done my homework before saying something, as I hadn't realised the gun was painted plastic, not metal. I'm right with you on wanting the message as gone as can be. Hated words printed all over stuff since I was about 5 and learned to read. It just got me furious that there were words messing up otherwise nicely designed things. Recently modified the air stripper on my Pardini K10 and was glad of the opportunity to paint over the 'Pardini' on one side, 'Air Pistol' on the other as they'd really got on my nerves.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:59 pm 

gunsnrows wrote:
I'm sure everyone has thought about removing it. So, I decided to see if it was possible. I used a Tanfoglio Witness 1911 Blowback for the test. The message is silkscreened with Epoxy ink, so it is very durable. I couldn't use a chemical, because it would also remove the finish. I then tried mechanical solutions:

-Toothpaste - Nothing changed, but the gun smells minty fresh.
-Magic Eraser -This bounced-off the text, and started to remove the finish.
-Super Fine Steel Wool #0000 - Very slighly dulled the text, but removed the finish on the edges of the gun
-Sandpaper - No, don't go there.

The steel wool made the gun look aged and the painted finish looks Parkerized. This is beautiful!

If you are going to do this, plug the barrel and remove the magazine and grips. Plug the magazine cavity with a tissue. Rub the gun assembled (as the "wear" will be realistic) and focus on contact areas and corners. Go slow and check the progress often. Wipe the gun down dry. Dissasemble the gun and clean the parts. Lube and rebuild.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Good Job :supz:

Brennan 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Ah. Sorry, should have done my homework before saying something, as I hadn't realised the gun was painted plastic, not metal.It is painted metal, the only plastic on these are the grips I'm right with you on wanting the message as gone as can be. Hated words printed all over stuff since I was about 5 and learned to read. It just got me furious that there were words messing up otherwise nicely designed things. Recently modified the air stripper on my Pardini K10 and was glad of the opportunity to paint over the 'Pardini' on one side, 'Air Pistol' on the other as they'd really got on my nerves.

What he meant was that you can't remove the white lettering without removing the black/charcoal/dark grey paint underneat and around it.
So you either learn to live with the lettering or you polish your slide.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:55 pm 

I ought to just keep my nose right out of the whole replica-ish thing it seems. No clue. Just caught my eye owing to my aforementioned predilection for text-free objects. Still, if my tastes ran to that sort of style (I haven't the foggiest idea why anyone would want a 1911 or an AR-15 or any of that lot as they seem, well, brutally ugly) and I purchased one of these, I'd probably refinish the whole thing. Get the right paint and do it up right without the brand or anything else written on it. Rubbed the big white 'Webley' off my Tempest within two days of getting that. Horrible huge banner of a thing. As the great volume of text is stamped right into my Webley Senior there's not a lot to be done about that, but I'm glad it's faded/dirtied to a dull cream colour over the past 6 decades or so.

Why do makers seem so obsessed with stamping their names all over things? My wife's favourite sushimi knife broke a couple of weeks ago under trivial side load, just a little accident in handling it, and it snapped right through at the most obvious stress riser; the biggest character of the maker's mark which happened to be right above the choil, where the steel changed width for the handle. Otherwise a brilliant knife she'd had for 20 years and her mother had used long before that, held an almost magically sharp edge. I remember reading an article in a knife making magazine in about the mid-80's where a guy said something like 'I never stamp or engrave my blades, only the shallowest of acid etching with my mark. Weakens the steel to stamp it, especially near the guard.' Made sense to me, especially as his mark was a simple and very small logo, not a name. But my favourite blades (and the knives I make for myself) have no words nor logos at all. Good design is enough, isn't it? If people want to know what a gun is, can't they just ask? Is it really necessary to put a giant advertisement along one side or both?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:33 pm 

well done, it looks very realistic for sure, too bad the letters are tougher than the paint, mine does not look realistic as yours but i don't have the white letters on it. :drinkers:

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 pm 

I think it looks great...the little buggers are gone. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 am 

Dupli-color high performance wheel paint CHWP10200 Graphite is a good match for the Cybergun/KWC guns that are painted dark charcoal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:54 pm 

Thanks for suggesting that colour paddyfritz. I was thinking of painting it over, but I didn't want to pull this out at CT to find a match.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 pm 

You can take a small piece, like the piece that goes at the muzzle/holds the slide spring but now it's too late, well I wish the 1911 didn't had those white letters

crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm 

Quote:
Adolfo wrote
well I wish the 1911 didn't had those white letters

There are three types of a Colt 1911 replica. One is the Tanfoglio Witness 1911 distributed in the US and Canada by Cybergun (middleman) with white markings, the second one is the KMB-76AHN (KWC Colt 1911) distributed by KWC without any markings and the third one is the KWC Model M1911 A1 Tac, distributed by KWC which does not have any white idiot-markings either.
The Sig P226 X-Five and Taurus 92/GSG 92 (Beretta M9) are also either distributed by Cybergun with white markings or by KWC as the KMB-74AHN and KMB-15AHKS, respectively, without any markings.
The pistols distributed by KWC without any markings can be purchased in http://www.surplusig.com or http://www.replicaairguns.com (he has a bit inflated prices).
I read somewhere that the idiot-markings are specifically for the US market for legal liability purposes or something like that. You should also notice that every product distributed by Umarex USA has the markings. The same products sold in Europe have no markings whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm 

Thank you Adolfo for taking the time to write a very good summary.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 pm 

gunsnrows wrote:
Thank you Adolfo for taking the time to write a very good summary.

i think you meant rav he is the one who wrote the info about the white letters and models

crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4