Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 am 

This is an old topic that bears repeating once in a while.

FYI: Penetrating Oil

Penetrating Oils Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used .................. 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ....238 pounds

PB Blaster ................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF* - Acetone mix..........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "mix-your-own-brew" -- 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.

*ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:16 am 

best one ive seen on a load-test was a product called Metalon only you cannot just purchase it from any local store. I know a guy that sells this stuff here out of his truck.

When i was working in the auto trade he came by and did the bearing test...loaded the thing off the charts and nothing siezed.

Blackhawk w/6x32 bugbuster
PRO77 ~ Rebuilt
M4177 TAC (4x32 scope, Laser sight, Flashlight)
Steel storm SMG
MP5 k-PDW SMG TAC (Shoulder strap & 1x30 RDS)
357-Six with custom wood grips
C31
GSG92 - Stripped & Polished

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am 
Supporting Members

We use Kroil in large amounts at the refinery I work in. I use it on any thing seized at home and work. I will try your mixture to see how it works.

One thing to keep in mind, please always wear protection on your hands when using these products. They can and will do alot of damage if absorbed into the skin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:10 pm 

Thanks Daryl!

Got anything that helps taping hard stainless steels or high carbon steels? Been taping some 4340(190ksi) and occassionaly breaking taps in it!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:10 pm 

I do have a high pressure tapping/cutting oil given to me by a friend. It's better for tapping or cutting chambers than rapid tap (which works reasonably well if you go slowly). The current Rapid Tap isn't as good today as the stuff we used in the 60's and 70's.

I used to wash my hands in Acetone to get them clean, so don't let minor contact spook you to much.
I've about run out of "Blue Goop" and "Ed's Red" so I need to make some more, which means I have to buy another litre of Acetone. Might as well get a US gallon and make up some penetrating oil too. Ed's Red uses both acetone and Auto Tranny oil, along with mineral oil and turpentine. Great powder solvent for PB's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:38 pm 

I use Kroil regularly when working on customers firearms. It's really good stuff but when the Kroil won't get 'er done, it's time to break out the NUTCRACKER. This is a truly amazing product that I acquired from my boss who bought a case of the stuff from a travelling salesman over 10 years ago.

Haven't come across a fastener yet that it can't beat 8)

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm 
Supporting Members

http://www.powerupnz.co.nz/nutcracker.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:57 am 

blade57 wrote:
I use Kroil regularly when working on customers firearms. It's really good stuff but when the Kroil won't get 'er done, it's time to break out the NUTCRACKER. This is a truly amazing product that I acquired from my boss who bought a case of the stuff from a travelling salesman over 10 years ago.

Didn't know you were a gunsmith Dave? I graduate from Colorado School of trades a long while back?

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:34 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
blade57 wrote:

Didn't know you were a gunsmith Dave? I graduate from Colorado School of trades a long while back?

I qualified a while back. I recieved my Business License today and will now apply to the RCMP to become a "Licensed Gunsmith" in Alberta.

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:57 pm 

COOL! That nutcracker looks & sounds good.

Considering ATF/Acetone requires 50% less than Kroil, that's something too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 am 

Rick for tapping hard ss and incoloy. You could try this home brew. 1/5 ezee tap 2/5 chainsaw bar oil (red) 2/5 bacon lard. Got this from and old machinist and he swears by it even uses it for machining.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 pm 

Whitewolf wrote:
Rick for tapping hard ss and incoloy. You could try this home brew. 1/5 ezee tap 2/5 chainsaw bar oil (red) 2/5 bacon lard. Got this from and old machinist and he swears by it even uses it for machining.

Thanks Kim! I think you'd have to keep that in a cool place otherwise the bacon fat would go rancid!

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:18 pm 

Nope the nasty stuff in the ezee tap preserves it. Just shake the living shyte out of it. Not all bacon fats are alike. I use it out of a squirt can and boil the bacon fat to remove all excess water prior to making he brew.

Whitewolf