Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:03 pm 

I have all the pieces I need to adapt a pipe clamp for use as a spring compressor, but I'm new to the sport and have never tried to dismantle my rifle. The screw only has approx. 1.9 inches of travel. Is that distance enough to compress a spring on a beeman R7/HW30s?

Thanks for your interest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:32 am 

Yes. I have used pipe clamp successfully on low power rifles like the R7/HW30. Always be careful and not allow the clamp to slip. The most stable way is to remove the barrel and clamp against the receiver forks and the rear of the tube.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Yes. I have used pipe clamp successfully on low power rifles like the R7/HW30. Always be careful and not allow the clamp to slip. The most stable way is to remove the barrel and clamp against the receiver forks and the rear of the tube.

X2

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm 

Thats the key phrase "low powered" I have a QB57 and 2" isn't enough travel for me. Not all pipe clamps are the same though and there should be some closer to 4". Unless you have an extra hand the clamp should be fastened to something solid and it would be nice to somehow secure the rifle to the clamp as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:22 pm 

I usually vise my guns and use a 24" wood clamp for spring compressing. Wood clamps are around $20. Could probably kijiji a vise for about the same.

Crosman 2260/40 Custom
Crosman 2240 Custom
Slavia 630 #77
Winchester 1911 by Daisy
Daisy 953 Target Pro
Marlin 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:51 pm 

Good suggestion, rawuol - the bench vise along with a wood clamp - excellent. I watched a German video of a fellow changing springs and seals in an HW97 using a chest plate to compress the spring the reqisite 1 inch pluss a few fractions inch - seemed not as much as I thought it would have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 am 

Thanks for the responses. I'll look for a clamp with a longer screw. I have a pipe clamp that fits onto a 3/4 inch pipe. To hold it down securely, I cut some 1 inch PVC pipe about 3 inches long with the side cut off so they look like the letter "C" in cross section. When fastened (in line) onto a short 2x4 with a couple of screws, they provide a tight enough grip to "snap" onto the OD of the pipe and hold it securely. I put the 2x4 in my B&D workmate so the clamp is secure to the top of the workmate.

We're getting company starting tomorrow so I'll postpone taking the R7 apart for another week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 am 

Here's a link to jgoodz420's spring compressor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkaEldsPwks much safer, and then you always have it for future projects... :mrgreen:

"When Obi-wan talked about the darkside of the force who knew he was referring to windows...?"