Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Droopy Diana 34 remedied
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 am 

Was sent a droopy 34 to look over and correct for a bud. He was not happy with the lack of vertical scope adjustment even with drooper mounts so removed stock, trigger blade and chucked it up in my lathe. Set the scope rail flat on one jaw of the chuck. Mounted a dial indicator to tool holder. As found the compression tube droops 0.020" from the front of the scope rail forward 6". The barrel drooped 0.050" over 8" of travel. Removed barrel and setup in mill vise. Breech block dead straight left to right. Setup with breech block flat and top against reference jaw. Bent barrel retest in lathe. Too much Back to mill and removed excess straightening.... retest in lathe and barrel is now pointing up by 0.010" over 8". Reassembled rifle and now with a 10yds zero the scope has 2.25 turns vertical remaining. Happy 34 for Peter!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:48 am 

Cool! - Well done.

We've had to 'adjust' a few musket barrels as well as a couple smooth bore's for shooting round balls to the single sight at the front of the barrel. BTW- a musket is a military smoothbore (no other gun can be PROPERLY called a musket) and are generally with flintlock ignition, but there were a couple with cap ignition [1842 U.S. Springfield for example])

To make that adjustment, we note where the gun is shooting on paper, remove the barrel pins, barrels ring clamps or wedges to remove the barrel from the stock then smack the barrel against a large aspen tree's trunk. Put the gun back together and shoot it to see if that corrected the problem - if not, repeat until we get it right.

I prefer Walter's extremely scientific but REALLY OCD method :roll: for working on my own guns - :D HA!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 pm 

Way da go there budz. Real nice... :D :) :drinkers:

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:03 am 

I'm amazed that the compression tubes are bent. Wasn't my RX2 bent as well?
Makes you wonder if all springer compression tubes are bent?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:23 am 

Crazy that there is that much droop? Did it look like the barrel was deliberately bent? I imagine you could see .080 with the naked eye over 12"! Or a really could straigthedge might show if the barrel is bent?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:40 pm 

The 24 barrel is quite short. Personally, I didn't notice much or any droop. On the other hand, barrel droop plus compression tube droop as well........ = more droop.

Can't wait to get it back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:24 pm 

Ya I got another one of those fine droopers. A wise man air gunner told me to shim my scope but I told him if I put that many shims in, the scope tube would bend? I was really amazed that someone with his experience would give infor like that. Good to know you can fix droopers Voltar cuz I may need your help. For now it can collect dust.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:10 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
The 24 barrel is quite short. Personally, I didn't notice much or any droop. On the other hand, barrel droop plus compression tube droop as well........ = more droop.

Can't wait to get it back.

As the reference was the scope rail the 'droops' do not add. The net droop was the barrel of 0.050" in 8" of measurement. So say 0.065" droop in a foot of barrel. Would translate into near 20 minutes of droop. Corrected up 25 minutes of angle so in other words gained 25 minutes of adjustment for the scope.

Walter....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:13 pm 

tracker wrote:
Ya I got another one of those fine droopers. A wise man air gunner told me to shim my scope but I told him if I put that many shims in, the scope tube would bend? I was really amazed that someone with his experience would give infor like that. Good to know you can fix droopers Voltar cuz I may need your help. For now it can collect dust.

Glad to help if I can. Got the tools to do the deed :)

Walter....

BTW don't like shimming scopes either!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:16 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
I'm amazed that the compression tubes are bent. Wasn't my RX2 bent as well?
Makes you wonder if all springer compression tubes are bent?

The RX2 was indeed 'bent' as it was bowed and likely due to the cutout etc of the tube.

The 34 seems very 'straight' in its droop so likely due to the way the scope rail is mounted to the tube. But could indeed be a kink style bend I s'pose.

No troubles though as they shoot good eh?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:56 pm 

Update on the 34. Finally had some time to sight the 34 in and do some shooting at the range. Set up some 9mm shells at 10m 12m 15m 20yards and 25m. First two shots at 25m and shells were gone. 3rd shot at 20y, 3rd shell gone. 4th shot kept missing so moved on to 10m, plink plink gone. and so on till I got back to the 20y shell. Took a few more shots till I realized I was shooting over the shell. Figured it out and the last shell was history.
Next I did a little video with cell phone shooting 3 .22 shells and 3 9mm shells off the floor at 10m. didn't miss one. I'll post on youtube if I can upload it.

So, all that said to say to Voltar, thanks for "straightening" out the barrel and to all the doubters with droopy barrels, get em straightened out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:26 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
Update on the 34. Finally had some time to sight the 34 in and do some shooting at the range. Set up some 9mm shells at 10m 12m 15m 20yards and 25m. First two shots at 25m and shells were gone. 3rd shot at 20y, 3rd shell gone. 4th shot kept missing so moved on to 10m, plink plink gone. and so on till I got back to the 20y shell. Took a few more shots till I realized I was shooting over the shell. Figured it out and the last shell was history.
Next I did a little video with cell phone shooting 3 .22 shells and 3 9mm shells off the floor at 10m. didn't miss one. I'll post on youtube if I can upload it.

So, all that said to say to Voltar, thanks for "straightening" out the barrel and to all the doubters with droopy barrels, get em straightened out.

Hopefully this link works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10-Vy668iI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:40 pm 

Nice shooting Peter! That stock has nice figure!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177