Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: used up breach seal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:13 pm 

just received a used air rifle today, couldn't really look at it good till i got home, took it outside and shot a couple of pellets, it is a PAL version, i don't own a Chrony but i could tell they went real fast, quite a difference from a sub 500, the rifle is rated 1000 fps, but we all know that most manufacturers will test with alloy pellets !

i took it back inside to mount a scope i already had, while doing that, i noticed the barrel had excessive play up and down, and just a little side to side, i took it out of its stock and tighten the screw on the side of the breach block, it solved the side to side issue, but the up and down was still there and quite excessive i might add, the barrel lock is a ball and spring

anyway, googled what i could do to tighten that up and didn't find much, at least nothing that made sense to me

the only thing i noticed was the breach seal O ring that was almost flat to the breach block, so i had a Aha moment, tried to pried it out and course damaged it in the process, by that point, i was quite upset

i made my way to CT to see what i could get for such a small O ring, found a few faucet kits that looked promising, so i bought 2 and came back home, the size comparison of the O ring was very close but not identical, it seemed to have a larger radius, and maybe a bit tinner, i fabricated a shim from the same kit, installed the O ring on top of it, you could see the difference immediately, the seal was now protruding a bit, oh and that up and down play from the barrel, completely gone !, took it outside to try it

well, it worked...you can tell it shoots faster from that somewhat loud crack it does....supersonic, not sure, maybe

strange how just a small piece of rubber like that eliminated about 1/8 of an inch play at the end of the barrel

Post subject: Re: used up breach seal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:24 pm 

Lucky find using CT!
I would have gone to Ackland-Grainger for an o-ring!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:41 pm 

included this pic;

left one is the original, the right one is from CT, the grey piece is the material used for the shim, some sort of faucet gasket

Attachments:
IMG_1826.GIF
IMG_1826.GIF [ 458.73 KiB | Viewed 447 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:32 pm 

Shouldn't be any play without the seal, should pretty much be metal to metal with minimal compression on seals.