Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 3 tunes in 5 days
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:20 am 

phew...

took 3 guns, 2 of those from the bin of shame, complete tear down, trigger job, lube it up, put back together, scope and shoot them to see the results;

pic 1, winchester 500x(chinese), complete tear down, trigger is one piece sear and trigger, polished the 2 contact surfaces and molied, also cleaned the piston and spring, then molied, piston head has been leveled with JB weld, wasn't a bad shooter(1 inch at 10 yards), but not accurate either, trigger was awful, i estimate 6 pounds of pull, could see the pellet in flight, fps was 320

post tune, the trigger is down to about 3 1/2 pounds, not crisp, but manageable, accuracy has improved to 0.424 ctc at 10 yards, fps is now 425, ES is 8, will test this summer to find out what it can do at 20 yards

pic 2, winchester 500x (turkish), was an accurate shooter(quarter size at 20 yards), trigger was reasonable but not good, alternating between easy and hard, complete tear down, molied spring and piston, took trigger apart again, polished, molied, fps was 416

post tune- trigger is better, feels buttery, but short and light, very consistent, accuracy is 0.354 at 10 yards, expect the same results at 20 yards when it will be tested, fps is 490 on average, ES is 14

pic 3, Crosman Raven, awful trigger, long, gritty and unpredictable, a bit hard, awful accuracy, shotgun pattern at 10 yards, fps was 400 on average, could sometime see the pellet fly very slow, and then normal speed again

post tune- trigger is little bit long, but crisp and light, also predictable, accuracy is 0.363 at 10 yards, expect good results at 20 yards, fps is now 500 on average, ES is 4

the common theme here is all those guns were bought for under 100 dollars each, the turkish 500x was good, the 2 others were good for spare parts at best, but no more, they are now good shooters, i wouldn't take them to a FT match, but would not be ashamed to sell them either

Attachments:
win chin 500.JPG
win chin 500.JPG [ 56.66 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]
win turk 500.JPG
win turk 500.JPG [ 104.19 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]
raven.JPG
raven.JPG [ 180.2 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]

Post subject: Re: 3 tunes in 5 days
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:03 pm 

Too funny!

I'm a maritimer with two out of three of those on my bench right now... I have two of those Chinese Winchesters and a Hatsan 35, which for all intents and purposes is the Turkish 500x you've got. I've done the two winnies, and am waiting for Santa to deliver my F1 to see how they're doing. No comparison of those to the 35.

I've also got two Salvia 630s waiting for the same treatment. I don't own any of these. The deal I have with the owner is to tune them over the winter and pick the two I want to keep and return the other three come April 1st when my attention returns to trout and airguns are forgotten.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:32 pm 

That's some nice work robipaul. What are the most obvious differences between the Chinese and Turkish 500x's?

Roadkill, I would take the CZ 630 if I were you :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:42 pm 

hi trigger

there are definite differences between the two 500x, i can compare them now as are they tuned

the chinese shoots slower, the trigger pull is longer and harder, cocking is easy but feels gritty, doesn't group as well as the turkish one, the thing it has going for it is the stock, its bigger and feels better to hold then the turk

the turkish one has a better trigger, its easier to pull and predictable, its also adjustable for pull length, its shoots a little bit faster, groups a little bit better, however, the stock doesn't feel very ergonomic, you can't handle it as well, cocking on this one is better then the chinese but not by much, the barrel opening is tighter, even for jsb's rs pellets

i favor accuracy, so if i had to choose between the two, the turkish one would be my choice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 pm 

hi roadkill

x2 on what triggerhappy said, the slavia, i understand that you can pick two, my next choice would be the hatsan

i did work on the chinese trigger and improved it to a manageable level, not much more i can do to it, maybe add material on both sides of the trigger housing, there are two slots, one on each side, sticking out of these slots are the pins of the trigger itself, when you pull it, these pins eventually contact the top of the housing and pulls the sear down, by adding material, that slot would be shorter, therefore reducing trigger pull length

you'll know what i mean when you tear it down :D