Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: painting a rifle ???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:28 am 

greetings

as the title says, i want to paint a rifle, was going to strip and re-blue it, but decided not to bother, the metal has some minor pitting requiring quite a bit of work, even then blueing wouldn't hide that, plus the fact that you have to jump a few hoops to get a blueing kit on line at twice the price(another story) made me change my mind

so my questions are;

1-would i have to strip it still, or can i paint over the blueing (assume that i will degrease it good)

2-what kind of black paint should i use, looking to have it close to a blued look, glossy, matte, or maybe tremclad

3-once painted, can i oil the surface

Post subject: Re: painting a rifle ???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:23 pm 

I'd be interested to know how people prep and paint their metal. I did a lousy job on some aluminum tube - the paint didn't hold well and is chipping and flaking very easily, so it will need to be stripped and re-done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:55 pm 

i'm leaning towards tremclad, after all, its formulated for metal surfaces

did the cutting deck of my riding mower two summers ago, painted over the factory paint after cleaning and degreasing it, came out nice, the finish is even throughout and quite durable, no pealing whatsoever, but not glossy enough for my taste, wondering if i could use a more glossy type tremclad, or maybe the same paint as i used, and then oil on top of it to make it gun metal glossy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:59 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
I'd be interested to know how people prep and paint their metal. I did a lousy job on some aluminum tube - the paint didn't hold well and is chipping and flaking very easily, so it will need to be stripped and re-done.

when doing aluminum you should use etching primer so your paint will stick and last

Crosman 2240 stubby
Crosman 116
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman 2260
Crosman AS2250
Winchester M14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 am 

I would try to cold blue it anyway, you've got nothing to lose.
For painting I'd use automotive paint if you can, like acrylic urethane or polyurethane, if not the best rattle can spray I've used is polyurethane meant for R/C model airplanes. It's tough stuff to resist the nitro fuel and I've used it for a variety of things needing extra tough paint.
For painting metal I sandblast with 80 Garnet or similar, clean and strip with brake cleaner, heat the moisture out of the metal, then spray my coats and bake in the oven. Pita I know, just saying what's ideal.
The bluing doesn't affect anything so paint right over it, but oils, and especially silicone will so be sure it's stripped clean. If you can't sand blast then hand sand.
No you shouldn't oil the painted surface, it doesn't need it and the less quality the paint and prep work the more likely oil will seep under the paint which will eventually pop it off. The oil would need a place to enter but that's anywhere you didn't paint such as the cocking slot, bore, or damaged places like where the scope rings dig in, screws thread in etc. Gloss black would be way too shiny imo, but semi or satin should be ok.
Another thought might be camo. I've cut out stencils with heavy paper, like grocery bags and it turns out really good. I base coated the whole thing with a medium or olive green, then added dark green, tan and black shapes.
Check out epi.com, they have both cold bluing and paints for guns. Their cold bluing is the best and cheapest I've found so far. The trick with cold blue imo is to roughen the surfaces more than you normally would. Then strip with something like brake cleaner that doesn't leave a residue, and don't touch it after cleaning. Then warm the metal to at least 100F, bluing should be warm too, and soak it for a min or several depending on the stuff you're using and its strength. Rinse with hot water and use OOOO steel wool in the direction of the sanding marks to gently clean it up. Re-blue it if needed, it may even take more dips and/or longer soak times and maybe higher temps before you're happy. Once blued to your liking apply a good penetrating oil and let it soak in, maybe a few coats over an hour to be sure it gets enough. The oil isn't just for protection, but it makes it darker too so don't judge it too harshly until it's oiled and soaked, possibly for hours. The rougher sanded finish will come out darker/blacker than a smooth one due to more metal being blued per square inch/cm. If you cold blue a smooth, or worse a polished surface it'll look more translucent purplish blue like you tried to blue it with a sharpie. The courser finish also holds more oil for better/longer rust protection, since cold blue is inferior to hot this is something to consider. I would suggest experimenting first, maybe try several small unseen sections, maybe three 1cm squares sanded with maybe 400, 180, and 80, then use a Q-tip to blue each one so you can decide for yourself how rough you want to go. Rougher surfaces also turn out more uniform which can be a problem with compete blue jobs. Once I sandblasted a gun instead of sanding, 80 grit, it ended up having a kind of matte finish like an almost black parkerized look. It was very uniform and hasn't rusted at all in 20 years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:01 am 

thx Chevota

quite the process you describe, as i said, i was to re-blue it till i started looking for a complete cold blue kit, not currently available in stores in Canada, it is available on amazon.ca from american distributors, but can't be on the shelves here because the label laws changed in 2011, it now needs to be bilingual labels, birchwood casey hasn't done that to their kits yet, the price of getting on line from the US is about 2 to 3 times what you'd pay if they had it here, so with all that factored in, i opted to paint it, i'm comfortable doing that as i believe it will require a bit less metal work, and will most likely hide the metal defects a little better, really this is not an expensive European model :? .

thanks for the painting advice :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:14 am 

Why don't you try Alumahyde in gloss? Mine is in matte..

I had my Crosman grips beadblasted though prior to powdercoating..

The end result..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:02 pm 

I used one of the textured spray paints I found in a paint store. Same thing available at Canadian Tire, I think. I went with a green/white rough stone finish (grey/white speckled would have been nice as well) - went well - and then gave that .22 Hornet to our rancher friend - after using it for a season on gophers. The rancher uses it for shooting his cows and bulls now, instead of the BRNO .22LR. He's a butcher you see.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:15 pm 

I got my blue liquids from canadian tire yes they do sell the blue liquid, also SSSO sells the kits and the store is located in vancuber but they ship any where in canada and almost everybody in this site know the store, here is the link for the store, good luck

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... casey.html

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm 

yup. know the store as well, could get the kit and a separate bottle of liquid, i know these are still available on the shelves