Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:43 am 

Attachment:
1911.jpg
1911.jpg [ 372.09 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]

Hey guys, nothing too exciting, purely cosmetic - just wanted to show off the polished finish on my Tanfoglio Witness 1911 (done a million times before by others) and also these amazing grips from Altamont Company (http://www.altamontco.com).

I originally wanted Pachmayr Legends grips (http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/produ ... 0022_1.jpg), but they actually proved to be quite difficult to get in Canada. Brownells won't ship it here (they wouldn't ship any grips at all). Then I somehow discovered Altamont, and they do absolutely phenomenal work. If you're looking for grips for 1911s, Beretta 92, PPK, P38, and many many other models, you should check them out. I think most of them should work on their air gun counter parts with small modifications. They can't ship here either, but luckily they have a Canadian distributor - http://www.bullseyesports.ca/ - who carry quite a good selection of their stock.

For the Tanfoglio Witness 1911, you need to remove some material 4mm deep from the back of the grip at the bottom (for the bulge on the frame), and also 1mm deep in the middle of the grip (the area is the part of the frame that exposes the CO2 cartridge). This guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEq7a7ingag - shows the exact locations that need to be removed. However he says it's the work of 5 minutes and you can hack it away with an x-acto knife.......maybe it's my grips specifically (they're walnut) but I found the easiest way was with a Dremel tool with a course sanding head. Sanding by hand was extremely difficult, and it was most certainly not do-able with an x-acto knife in 5 minutes. You also might need some washers for the grip screws, as the screw holes are ever so slightly too large. It is not completely necessary - the stock screws will hold onto the grips but just barely (I'm not using any washers in the picture).

There is still some work left to be done - the right grip still needs some material removed to set it completely flush against the frame (it's floating about half a millimeter right now), and the gun needs some final polishing as I carelessly scuffed it up a bit yesterday :rolleyes: ... but still, I thought it looks cool enough in a picture for now!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:05 am 

The finger grooves add a lot to the grip thickness?
1911s need a fair sized mitt to begin with.
Looks sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:52 am 

blarg wrote:
The finger grooves add a lot to the grip thickness?
1911s need a fair sized mitt to begin with.
Looks sharp.

Yes, it adds a fair bit, which I think feels more comfortable. The side panels are the same thickness as the stock plastic grips at their thickest points, BUT, the stock grips are more curved, while the Altamonts are fairly uniform making making the grip beefier (in addition to what the finger grooves add). I have small hands and it now feels just right for me. Overall the size of the grip feels very close to the Sig P226 X-Five.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:07 am 

Comparisons:

Attachment:
File comment: with the stock grip
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG [ 95.98 KiB | Viewed 600 times ]
With the stock grip

Attachment:
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG [ 182.85 KiB | Viewed 600 times ]
Rear profile with the Sig P226 X-Five

Attachment: