Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am 

Hi guys,

I currently have a Beretta PX4 and a Crosman 1377C that I shoot in my basement at a distance of 23 feet. I like the Beretta because it is a convenient and easy to shoot CO2 multishot. I like the Crosman because it is more accurate. It is a pain to have to pump and load for every shot. I'd prefer to concentrate on aiming and firing.

What I'd like is a CO2 multishot that approaches the accuracy of the 1377C. PCP is too much money and too complicated. It should be capable of single action with a nice trigger pull. The ability to mount optics with or without an adapter would be preferred. I don't really care too much what it looks like. Hopefully less than $300 CDN, but don't let that stop you from suggesting something known to be great.

What about a Walther CP88 Competition? I don't know how it compares in accuracy with a 1377C, though.

Anyway, suggestions would be appreciated.

-=( Lon )=-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:02 am 

Its not a multi shot its a single pump pneumatic and will out shoot the accuracy out of both the ones you have now and the price is unbeatable, get yourself a Beeman P-17 :wink:
Eric @ scopesandammo has them for $49.
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... stol-p-339

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:35 am 

Ace wrote:
Its not a multi shot its a single pump pneumatic and will out shoot the accuracy out of both the ones you have now and the price is unbeatable, get yourself a Beeman P-17 :wink:

Thank you for the suggestion. That is an interesting gun, and I may add it to my (small) collection, but it doesn't meet either of the two primary criteria that I'm looking for: CO2 and multi shot. I want to be able to assume my shooting position and fire off multiple shots without the interruption of pumping/loading.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:48 am 

in the spirit of what you are asking, I think you've already chosen a good candidate, another one you might consider, and known very accurate, would the desert eagle, thing is, its a gas hog, about 40 good shots per cart :x , the crosman 357 is also good on accuracy, repeater, SA and DA, and dirt cheap, this one's Achilles heal would be the rail on the barrel, fixing a red dot or pistol scope can be, well....not an exact science :)

I think Ace had a good suggestion there, and I may just look into that

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 am 

I'll second what Paul said on the 357 its not bad for the price and if your into and don't mind bb's, I'm not a very big fan of bb's or CO2 carts for that matter but if i were to get one this seams like a very nice and accurate gun Hatsan 250XT TAC-BOSS Air Pistol.
Here is a very honest and good review by waltherglocksmith:
also watch his vid of it in action.
topic61928.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:40 pm 

Hi,

That's a great question, and one I keep going around for myself too. Unfortunately, I think you may have placed too many restrictions on yourself to get a really good answer - multi-shot, CO2 and accurate may be a bit of a stretch, at least off the shelf and in current production (I'm thinking there may have been a multi-shot CO2 pistol for rapid fire competition at some point).

The thing is, a 1377 is potentially very accurate indeed, and that may be hard to match in a current multi-shot CO2. I had a chance to try a CP88 recently, and I liked it a lot. I suspect that any of the Umarex premium 8-shot revolvers are quite nice, and I think the CP88 competition is the longest barrelled of them. I've been wondering about getting the Colt version

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... black.html

I noticed with the CP88 that the sights are not easily adjustable and it wasn't obvious how you'd attach any other optics. I don't think any of these pistols will compete with a godd 1377 on the accuracy front, it's just a different sort of pistol.

I have a Crosman 357 which I was using over the weekend. It's better than I remembered (and great value for the price), but I wouldn't rate it's accuracy up with the 1377 (although the sights are better). Build quality is really quite sad, but then at that price... On the other hand the Smith & Wesson is beautifully built, but 5x the asking price:

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... 77cal.html

If you could go wild on the price and accept PCP then there would be some quite different options on the table like the Brocock

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... l-177.html

and the Hatsan

http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product ... cts_id=121

From my experience I'd recommend not trying to get everything in one pistol and being frustrated with the compromises, but instead accept that different pistols excel at different things and enjoy each for what it does. For accuracy a single stroke pneumatic is hard to beat, the Daisy 747 is supposed to be great for a reasonable price (and is on my to-get list):

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... istol.html

and the Baikal is nothing short of magical, albeit a bit expensive and getting more so. The CAF store price is unbeatable at the moment:

http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product ... cts_id=119

And for multi-shot happiness I'd probably go with one of the Umarex 8-shots.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:29 pm 

I don't know how you feel about bb's but I'm running the same as you, with the same issue. I also have a 8" Dan Wesson cost about $200. I put 144 4.5 mm bb's through it today on 1 12 gram co2. Accurate too with a couple extra speed loader's it's a lot of fun! I put a scope on it today and it became more fun!! Fast becoming my fav!! Give it a thought have fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:34 pm 

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398713566.283859.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398713566.283859.jpg [ 290.33 KiB | Viewed 1270 times ]
here is the target and pistol, I'm new to pistol shooting so I'm sure that group could be tighter!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:19 pm 

Lon, all those Umarex pistols replicating “semi-auto” pistols are REVOLVERS. They use 8-shot rotary magazines. In DA they have rather heavy triggers due to the fact that the trigger pull must cock the hammer and rotate the magazine. Accuracy suffers a bit.
So if you want a super-duper accurate REVOLVER go for the Umarex S&W 586 or 686. These are the highest quality 10-shot PELLET revolvers (not BB) on the market.
If you don’t like a typical revolver then go for the Umarex Desert Eagle. This is also a pellet revolver using an 8-shot rotary magazine but it has a blowback action which cocks the hammer and this way the trigger pull is much nicer (similarly to your Beretta PX4 Storm). Because it is a semi-auto pistol you will be only aiming and firing as you wish. It’s accuracy is on par with the Crosman 1377 up to 10m (33feet). It is much more accurate than the Beretta PX4 Storm.
Don’t bother with BB pistols because they have smooth barrels which inherently make them not so accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:37 pm 

rav wrote:
Lon, all those Umarex pistols replicating “semi-auto” pistols are REVOLVERS. They use 8-shot rotary magazines. In DA they have rather heavy triggers due to the fact that the trigger pull must cock the hammer and rotate the magazine. Accuracy suffers a bit.
So if you want a super-duper accurate REVOLVER go for the Umarex S&W 586 or 686. These are the highest quality 10-shot PELLET revolvers (not BB) on the market.
If you don’t like a typical revolver then go for the Umarex Desert Eagle. This is also a pellet revolver using an 8-shot rotary magazine but it has a blowback action which cocks the hammer and this way the trigger pull is much nicer (similarly to your Beretta PX4 Storm). Because it is a semi-auto pistol you will be only aiming and firing as you wish. It’s accuracy is on par with the Crosman 1377 up to 10m (33feet). It is much more accurate than the Beretta PX4 Storm.
Don’t bother with BB pistols because they have smooth barrels which inherently make them not so accurate.

X2 on everything rav said. The Umarex pistol looking revolvers are pretty good in single action. Look for the ones made in Germany.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm 

I'm back.:) First an apology. I realize I probably started this thread in the wrong section. I intended to put it in the General Chat, but must have had a seniors moment... :oops: Also, thanks to all who have offered their advice.

I have spent about 12 of the last 24 hours reading and watching tests and reviews of the pistols mentioned here and many others. Unfortunately, I have discovered I want one of everything! I now see that my search for my next gun will be not in finding one, but eliminating many.

I should have mentioned it in my initial post, but I had already decided against BB guns. Not that aren't some very nice ones but for accuracy and reduced chance of rebounds I want to stick with .177 pellets for now. I saw several revolvers I liked, and may consider one at a later date, but for now I decided I want an 'automatic' styled pistol. I then decided to focus on German made Umarex guns - they seem in general to receive good comments. Going with a longer barrel for presumed better accuracy I narrowed it down to two guns: the Desert Eagle (5.7") and the CP88 Competition (6"). The Desert Eagle is large, loud, has blowback for realism and hammer cocking, and eats CO2 carts like M&M candies. Sounds like fun to me! I want one! Alas the loudness is not conducive to firing an a condo townhouse basement. To make a long story short the leading choice at the present is the CP88 Competition. I think I can manage to stick my thumb up and cock it for SA. :) There is a rail available for it to mount optics. I also have a thought in mind of a possible mod to it I might try at a future date.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:05 pm 

Sounds like a good choice, I'm sure you will enjoy it greatly. Not sure I'd exactly call it quiet though. You may want to add plenty of soft furnishings in your shooting area. Shaggy carpet walls :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Not sure I'd exactly call it quiet though.

Any chance you would be able to comment on it's loudness compared to the Beretta PX4 I have now?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:43 pm 

Sorry, I haven't tried a PX4. I guess just based on barrel length the PX4 is likely louder than the CP88 so maybe it's all good. It's such a pain that we aren't allowed to use moderators on our airguns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:49 pm 

I have both and believe the CP88 to be quieter. There is not rear gas discharge or slide noise from the blow back.
I can get them both in the same room and compare on the weekend.

http://plinkercases.ca/