Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:04 am 

Hello everyone. I have rebuilt my phantom 1000 with the maintnance kit from scopes and ammo. After reassembling the air rifle and testing it I noticed something in the barrel after each shot. I suspected the piston seal. I again disassembled it to inspect the piston seal which looked to be fine. The only difference I could find from the old seal and a new seal was the old seal with roughly 300 shots had a slightly smaller outside diameter. Any feed back would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:09 pm 

Run a patch thru it to see what that "something" is. Usually stuff in the barrel is debris from the pellet, but in a freshly assembled gun it could be grease too. Pellets are often dirty which you can test by putting the whole tin of pellets in a wash cloth tumbling them around. Probably best to use an old washcloth and dispose of it after or call it your pellet cleaning cloth if you want it again. Better quality pellets are usually cleaner.
Another cause can be the breech of the gun, many are sharp and shave lead off the pellet which may or may not get blown out each time. If so a little bevel to the edge will fix that, but only enough to stop it from shaving lead, you don't want a bigger bevel than needed. Sometimes the bores themselves are very rough and they will scrape lead off the pellet. The fix for that is usually fairly simple with a little sanding, if so I can explain how to do that.
The seals vary in diameter a bit, and they vary based on how much time they've spent in the gun. I wouldn't worry about the seal, they're extremely tough and won't come apart. They will however be damaged during install if you don't remove the sharp edges inside the gun. I hope that kit you bought mentioned that....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:00 pm 

Quote:
Chevota wrote
Run a patch thru it to see what that "something" is. Usually stuff in the barrel is debris from the pellet, but in a freshly assembled gun it could be grease too. Pellets are often dirty which you can test by putting the whole tin of pellets in a wash cloth tumbling them around. Probably best to use an old washcloth and dispose of it after or call it your pellet cleaning cloth if you want it again. Better quality pellets are usually cleaner.

The pellets are not “dirty”. Nowadays, nearly every brand of lead pellets is coated with a thinner or thicker layer of graphite which prevents oxidation of lead. The thickest layer of graphite is usually found on the Daisy pellets and thinner ones on the RWS pellets. Some pellet producers sometimes also use wax or special oils to prevent oxidation. Such pellets can be stored for years without excessive oxidation. If you “wash” your pellets you remove preventive coating and make them prone to fast oxidation and eventually being converted into PbO.
By the way, those particles inside the barrel could just be graphite particles mixed with grease.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 pm 

Well, I didn't mean actual dirt, but bits and slivers of lead. That and whatever the bore scrapes off the pellet is all I can imagine would be in there. Some guns also have steel shavings and bits in the chamber, but I assumed those, if any, were cleaned out with the rebuild kit?
I use JSB pellets almost exclusively now, not just because they're outstanding, but because I was tired of having so many different pellets so I narrowed my collection down as far as possible. The JSB are extremely clean, no graphite, and if there's any oil or wax it's not noticeable. Instead of lubing the pellets I lube the bore with tungsten disulfide which works for me.