Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: weaver mount problem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:52 pm 

Looking for some help, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have an IZH60 that I want to mount a red dot on. So I ordered a Hawke dovetail to Weaver adapter and an Aim RT4-01 red dot. They just arrived today so all excited I rushed out to the garage to mount everything up. The adapter mounted up fine but when I put the red dot and tighten the screws it's still loose. Like really loose. There's nothing interfering with the mounting on the sight, it's as tight as it will go.

Any idea what's going on?

Post subject: Re: weaver mount problem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:59 pm 

Had this happen once (have a couple of weaver guns) and in my case I was scratching my head wondering why it wasn't tightening.
In my case it turned out to be a poor fitting, the teeth on the mounts weren't properly fitted. After completely loosing the screws with the red dot off, I tried a few times till I got it right. It helps to press them with your hand prior to attempting to tighten the screws. This may seem like an obvious install but it can be tricky.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:10 pm 

I thought that at first and tried it too, but looking at the sight with the mounting bolts tightened all the way it physically can't tighten any further. There are no gaps in the mounting area. I have a peep sight that will tighten up properly on the adapter mount. If I wrap hockey tape around the adapter mount, the red dot will tighten up properly, but that seems a bit of a cheesy way to do things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:56 am 

You may be able to remove the jaws of the Weaver mount and flip them over.
I've found a couple of my Weaver mount sights to have a similar problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:05 pm 

Ran into the same thing last night with 1 of 2 weaver ring mounts. I'm not quite sure what the deal with it is, the two look the same but one fits and the other doesn't (easily). I tried reversing the jaw and in this case it definitely only fits one way round. After scratching my head for a bit I decided that it ought to pivot around the top of the jaw, given sufficient force. So sufficient force was applied all is good now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:53 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Ran into the same thing last night with 1 of 2 weaver ring mounts. I'm not quite sure what the deal with it is, the two look the same but one fits and the other doesn't (easily). I tried reversing the jaw and in this case it definitely only fits one way round. After scratching my head for a bit I decided that it ought to pivot around the top of the jaw, given sufficient force. So sufficient force was applied all is good now.

well I tried flipping it around but the holes are offset so it only fits one way. Then tried sufficient force, and then slightly more but it made no difference. I can't see how it could be a manufacturing flaw on one unit, but I don't know what else it could be. Hockey tape seems to work so I guess the cheesy fix will have to do.

Attachments:
Snapshot_20141107_1.JPG
Snapshot_20141107_1.JPG [ 18.08 KiB | Viewed 1651 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 pm 

Agreed, it doesn't look like that will pivot - the central area looks too wide. Maybe the adapter is a bit too small. Hockey tape sounds like a pretty good solution to me. The alternative might be to take the jaw off and then take a file to the side of the mount so that it can close to a smaller width. I'd be nervous about doing that with the mount still attached to the red dot though. Tape sounds easier and safer!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:28 pm 

While tape may work, I suspect it could allow slight movement or loosening over time. A file taken to the main mount face sounds like the better plan. I'd suggest removing about 1mm of aluminum. Better to have a slight gap between it and the clamp jaw than to have it go all the way flush, ensuring a solidly clamped setting. A dab of grease or oil on the bolt threads helps too, ensuring the bolts are easily tightened all the way, not biting into aluminum early and giving a false sense of tightness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:07 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
While tape may work, I suspect it could allow slight movement or loosening over time. A file taken to the main mount face sounds like the better plan. I'd suggest removing about 1mm of aluminum. Better to have a slight gap between it and the clamp jaw than to have it go all the way flush, ensuring a solidly clamped setting. A dab of grease or oil on the bolt threads helps too, ensuring the bolts are easily tightened all the way, not biting into aluminum early and giving a false sense of tightness.

That is the right solution.
Removing metal from the fixed base and not the clamp will give you the room you need to tighten the weaver/picatinny clamp.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:03 am 

It sounds like a design flaw in either the dovetail to Weaver adapter or on the Weaver base of the Red Dot.
Can anybody quote the specs for the Weaver rail?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:15 am 

SureShot wrote:
It sounds like a design flaw in either the dovetail to Weaver adapter or on the Weaver base of the Red Dot.
Can anybody quote the specs for the Weaver rail?

This site has the specs.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1072 ... ifference_

A quote from the site.
Now, what does this mean to you? Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a “Picatinny” system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, “Picatinny” accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, “Picatinny” won’t fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit “Picatinny”.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:34 am 

I never imagined there was a difference between the dimensions of Weaver and Picatinny.
But I did assume the Weaver rails were on top for sights and that Picatinny rails were on the bottom & sides for accessories.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:39 pm 

Maybe sand/file off some meat so the jaw can move further in. See yellow line below. The jaw will tilt as it clamps down further so it will end up slightly angled like the line, but you can sand straight across too. Ideally you want only the very top edge of the jaw touching the mount, that way all the screws force is clamping the bottom jaw to the rail with maximum force. With the metal removed to ~ the yellow line it can do that.
Yes Weaver and Picatinny are a bit different, annoying but hopefully Weaver will be phased out in time.
You can also put a strip of sheetmetal in like the tape, but cut to size it won't be obvious, and it won't smash down with time.

Attachments:
z.JPG
z.JPG [ 9.61 KiB | Viewed 1553 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:41 am 

The best material that I've found for shimming is pop can metal.
I've had to shim a couple of scopes with layers of it.