Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 am 

Since I recently got interested in airgun shooting I have a lot to learn. About two months ago I bought a Browning Leverage 490 fps and I have been really enjoying it but I would like to upgrade it to 1000 fps (I have an FAC and all is good on that count).

I have been trying to find the parts and instructions so that I can do the upgrade but I am not having much success. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it and if anyone with experience in doing this would be willing to help that would sure be appreciated! I live in Lindsay ON but would be happy to travel a couple of hours to meet and learn.

Best regards

Cliff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:53 am 

BigCliff wrote:
Since I recently got interested in airgun shooting I have a lot to learn. About two months ago I bought a Browning Leverage 490 fps and I have been really enjoying it but I would like to upgrade it to 1000 fps (I have an FAC and all is good on that count).

I have been trying to find the parts and instructions so that I can do the upgrade but I am not having much success. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it and if anyone with experience in doing this would be willing to help that would sure be appreciated! I live in Lindsay ON but would be happy to travel a couple of hours to meet and learn.

Best regards

Cliff

What is FAC ??? ......I assume you mean PAL if you wanted a PAL rated gun that's what you should have bought .....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:57 am 

FAC- firearms acquisition certificate

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:04 am 

lauchlin wrote:
What is FAC ??? ......I assume you mean PAL if you wanted a PAL rated gun that's what you should have bought .....

To be more helpful to a newcomer, perhaps you could do worse than contact Eric at Scopes and Ammo as he recently carried this rifle in its Chinese brand name, the Xisico XS46U http://scopesandammo.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:46 am 

quickreply7789 wrote:
FAC- firearms acquisition certificate

Long gone ........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:51 am 

Penage Guy wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

To be more helpful to a newcomer, perhaps you could do worse than contact Eric at Scopes and Ammo as he recently carried this rifle in its Chinese brand name, the Xisico XS46U http://scopesandammo.com/

Its far better to get a pal rate gun than try to convert one ..........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:42 pm 

Just to explain:

FAC was the old version of what you now refer too as PAL. I am 68 and we always called it an FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate) it came in Possession-Acquisition, Restricted, Non-Restricted. Mine includes Restricted because at one time I did a lot of hand gun shooting and up until very recently did own a couple of hand guns.

The reason I bought a Non-PAL rifle was because I had never shot air guns prior to owning this so I wasn't even sure what I was buying at the time. I Probably should have done more research but Canadian Tire had a good special on them and I just happened to see it the last day of the sale.

Now that I have had a chance to do some shooting with it I wish I had purchased the PAL version but to sell this now and go buy that, I would take a big loss, I was hoping that the upgrade would be reasonable.

So Lauchlin, thank you for your input for what it's worth. I think I will try some of the other suggestions though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:54 pm 

Penage Guy. Thank you so much for that link, I have sent off an email and trust they will do what they can to help me.

Much appreciated!

Cliff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:59 pm 

BigCliff wrote:
Just to explain:

FAC was the old version of what you now refer too as PAL. I am 68 and we always called it an FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate) it came in Possession-Acquisition, Restricted, Non-Restricted. Mine includes Restricted because at one time I did a lot of hand gun shooting and up until very recently did own a couple of hand guns.

The reason I bought a Non-PAL rifle was because I had never shot air guns prior to owning this so I wasn't even sure what I was buying at the time. I Probably should have done more research but Canadian Tire had a good special on them and I just happened to see it the last day of the sale.

Now that I have had a chance to do some shooting with it I wish I had purchased the PAL version but to sell this now and go buy that, I would take a big loss, I was hoping that the upgrade would be reasonable.

So Lauchlin, thank you for your input for what it's worth. I think I will try some of the other suggestions though.

Ok let assume you have a PAL let assume you are 68 now i tell you how to mod to full power but now all the kids who just got a Canada tire gun now know how to go full power that is my only concern ...I am well aware what a fac was i got mine in 1977 ...That said i had a kid on here say he had a fac need to mod a gun but in fact he was 16 and no pal so it raises a red flag for me when i see some one call a pal a fac ....My input is for the good of the forum i would hate to losse this place because we were posting way to make non pal guns in to pal guns .......no disrespect intend.............

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:23 am 

I understand your caution but a simple PM would have solved that problem or you could have just emailed me and that would eliminate the need to broadcast the information.

I can assure you that any 16 year old that wanted to find out how to do it could probably find it available on the internet much easier than I could have, I'm still old school!

Your comment about "I am well aware what a fac was i got mine in 1977", then why did you come back at me with "What is FAC ??? ......I assume you mean PAL if you wanted a PAL rated gun that's what you should have bought ....." . You might not have intended any disrespect but it sure came through as being confrontagous, just what a new member needs to make them want to come back here!

Anyway, lesson learned, Eric did get back to me promptly and I sure appreciated his input. I am hoping to be able to take a road trip very soon to see him and do some shopping!

All the best.

Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:07 am 

BigCliff wrote:
I understand your caution but a simple PM would have solved that problem or you could have just emailed me and that would eliminate the need to broadcast the information.

I can assure you that any 16 year old that wanted to find out how to do it could probably find it available on the internet much easier than I could have, I'm still old school!

Your comment about "I am well aware what a fac was i got mine in 1977", then why did you come back at me with "What is FAC ??? ......I assume you mean PAL if you wanted a PAL rated gun that's what you should have bought ....." . You might not have intended any disrespect but it sure came through as being confrontagous, just what a new member needs to make them want to come back here!

Anyway, lesson learned, Eric did get back to me promptly and I sure appreciated his input. I am hoping to be able to take a road trip very soon to see him and do some shopping!

All the best.

Cliff

Hey, good morning everyone, I hope everybody here in the Eastern Standard Time Zone enjoyed their extra hour sleep. I know I did.

Anyways, Cliff, I wouldn't take it too personal. You are new to the Forum and I understand you thought the message might have been a touch overkill, or could have been sent as a PM....but you have to realize that in his roll as Moderator Lauchlin has to stay on top of the Forum and ensure that everyone plays nice and follows the rules. We get a lot of, I was going to say kids but it's all ages, people who pick up sub 495fps airguns because that is all they are legally entitled to purchase and then want someone to tell them in writing how to circumvent the law.

It's Lauchlins role as Moderator to enforce the rules. I'm sure that 90% of the time it is a thankless job. Having to quote the rules over and over, or delete the post, and then to varying degrees, have the poster respond with a fairly mild..."you could have done that differently"...to perhaps..."you are an Ahole" whether it is in a post or a PM, might be getting a little old for him. I could see that making me a little testy at times.

Anyways, don't take it to heart. He's doing what's best to keep this Forum healthy and kicking, otherwise if it was nothing but "how to's" on how to break the law it would be shut down and as in life the majority would lose out because of the actions of a few.

Jim...

P.S. I just broke the rules because this post should not be in the Mods and Repairs section....I'll see if I can get my wife to spank me!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:10 am 

Hi Cliff welcome the forum, why do you need your Browning Leverage to be PAL rated ?
the reason I ask, if your only using it to plink around you do realize that ones you get it up in the 1000fps range it will be a little less accurate and shoot much... harsher. :|
If your goal is to shoot in the 1000fps range for what ever the reason then get yourself a PCP rifle, you'll be glad you did. :wink:
My recommendation since price sounds like a bit of an issue, get a Hatsan AT44, or the Benjamin Discovery 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 am 

Thanks Jim and Ace, both your replies are much appreciated, both are taken to heart!

Ace, if I just wanted to go out and kill stuff I have four PAL rated rifles a shotgun, and a top of the line crossbow. The reason I wanted to upgrade this rifle is that I find it very inconsistant at anything much more than 30 yards. In fact sighted at 30 yards I am shooting 4-5 inches low at 60 yards.

Money isn't the main issue (but because I am retired it is a consideration), a kit to do the modification is going to cost me something under $50.00 and I already have and like this rifle, it is much too heavy for hunting but super for sitting on my deck and plinking.

While I have been shooting for 60 some years now, airguns are new to me. Perhaps I am wrong in my assumption that the higher power will give me more stability and consistancy at longer ranges. I would like to be able to shoot at a vartiety of ranges between 30 and 60 yards with minimal variations.

I do welcome any input from experienced air gun shooters and appreciate their willingness to help out a newcomer.

Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:45 am 

You should get in contact with Mike Mellick from http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/fdallrifles.html

He'll point you in the right direction. xs46u is the same gun.

As for Eric from scopes and ammo, just do a search on his name here and see how he treats people. Decide for yourself if you want to deal with with him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:03 am 

peterdulux wrote:
You should get in contact with Mike Mellick from http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/fdallrifles.html

He'll point you in the right direction. xs46u is the same gun.

As for Eric from scopes and ammo, just do a search on his name here and see how he treats people. Decide for yourself if you want to deal with with him.

Boy you really like to bash Eric every chance you get.
He treats me just fine and I will continue to do business with him.