Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:15 pm 

I ordered an air rifle cleaning kit. As well as a pack of cleaning pellets. What lubes should I buy and how often should I clean and lube my rifles?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:00 pm 

To some extent it depends on what kind of rifle it is, but there are some general things to keep in mind. New guns should have their barrels cleaned. Once cleaned, most air rifles can be shot a great deal before cleaning is necessary. PCP's may need more frequent cleaning as they usually shoot at a higher MV. Avoid metal cleaning rods, especially the ones that screw together. Air gun barrels are relatively soft and may be scratched by metal rods, and rods that screw together may bend at the joints and cause damage to the bore as they are worked through. Do not use brass brushes.

Many airgunners use a pull through with a patch (or two). For general cleaning, Ballistol is a very good product. It is safe for seals and inhibits rust. Other products may be used but do not use PB solvents on airguns. Be careful not to get any oils inside the transfer port or into the compression chamber. If your gun is a break barrel you should lubricate the pivot pins on the cocking shoe and arm and barrel pivot points. Any regular lubricating gun oil -- even three-in-one in a pinch -- will do. Do not use silicone oil to lubricate metal on metal. Modern air guns have self-lubricating synthetic piston seals and only rarely need any silicone lubrication. It's best not to mess with your trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:07 pm 

Quote:
Jmclean85 wrote
I ordered an air rifle cleaning kit. As well as a pack of cleaning pellets. What lubes should I buy and how often should I clean and lube my rifles?

What rifle is that? A springer, PCP, multipump or CO2 rifle?

If a springer rifle, one drop of Silicon Chamber Oil every 1,000 shots into the transfer port would be more than enough. Modern springers with synthetic seals don’t need much lubrication.

For a CO2 rifle one drop of Pellgunoil on the tip of each CO2 cartridge is enough. That’s what I do with all my CO2 pistols and rifles (much over 50) and they are in an excellent shape.

For a PCP rifle a drop of Silicon Chamber Oil will do

For single-strokes and multi-pumps, I use Crosman Pellgunoil.

If the rifle is made of steel, after each shooting session I wipe out steel parts with a cloth lightly soaked in Ballistol. Never see any rust. That’s it.
If the rifle is <500fps I wouldn’t bother at all with cleaning a barrel. I do it very occasionally, just shooting a few cleaning felt pellets at once.

P.S. Penage Guy was a bit faster :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:47 pm 

Thanks guys! I have a multi pump, co2 rifle and a co2 pistol. The cleaning kit I ordered has a metal rod, I'll just give it to my brother for his powder burner.