Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Mill cutters
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:46 pm 

I'm using a small mill cutter in a drill press for cutting the bbl back for re-crowning. (I every now and then get a really bad bbl in .177) Would cutting oil reduce chatter at the slow speeds I'm using? The Crosman bbl.'s seem to be pretty mild, and give a good bite on the cutter....

Any input more than welcome.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Post subject: Re: Mill cutters
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:57 pm 

Lubrication of some kind Doc is always helpful. If you can reduce the stroke length to a minumal you will reduce chatter to the endmill which also will make funky cuts for you.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:33 pm 

I'll give it a shot with some light cutting oil.
Thanks for the info on keeping travel short...
Pix maybe to follow later.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:41 pm 

Also which you may know, Using a cutter short enough. if the barrels are 7/16" use a 3/8" - 1/2" diameter cutter that is 1/2" long. No chatter that way. Also lots of cutter fluid is good too! Don't stick the barrel very far out the vice too, less then a 1/2".

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:06 am 

Ok, I gotta ask WHY?

Why a milling operation?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:50 am 

I always use a hacksaw to cut it, then a power sander to flatten the cut which is never perfect. Then a slight crown job she's good to go. Just a thought vs all that trouble with a mill.
I do it because the barrels are usually fubar at the tip and/or a few mm down.
I'd never cut off more than is needed tho, usually 3-6mm fixes them. Some people lop off several inches, but imo only do that if you have a special need for it, no doing it willy-nilly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:43 am 

Job's done.

It's just the cutter bit in a drill press~ no fancy machining. I happen to like the nice flat cut that the mill cutter bit gives. I used the chuck and vise to square everything up.

It's worked well before for me, on a basket case QB/AR bbl. Was just looking to avoid the chatter I got when the cut first started on the QB/AR bbl.

The Crosman bbl's can be hard to work with at times. Instead of the metal shaving off under a drill bit, it tends to crumble away...

.25" cutter is what I have, so it got used. No major problems. Very fast cutting even at the slow drill press speed, with light cutting oil.

To be honest, I've cut and crowned bbl's before, on p.b.'s with noting more than a hacksaw and crocus cloth. It's a lot of un-sure, slow work. I'd rather take advantage of the square cuts I can get with the drill press. I've passed up on the crocus cloth for a bullet head buffer and Arm&Hammer Super Whitening tooth paste on the dremel. That actually raises an edge 90 degrees to the work area. :shock:

If I could, I would have a lathe, and a mill with a high end mill table. Nice pipe dream. In the meantime, I make do with what I have...

Crown before.... There's actually a quite wide lead streak at 6 o'clock that I could not get to show.
I guess many will get the idea of the condition of this crown from what is visible...

.25" mill cutter bit- quickly becoming one of my most liked tools.

Crown after. I didn't cut that deep~ a little less than a 1/16"

I couldn't get this bbl to group better than 3" @ 12 meters, the way it was.
Will bench it Tuesday night to see how well I did. Don't think I have much to worry about, though. This looks a bit better than the job on the QB/AR :mrgreen:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Post subject: Bwahahaha!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:29 am 

That's about a 1500% improvement over what this bbl was doing before the re-crown.
Bore isn't even conditioned from squeaky clean yet- just 10 or 11 shots for chrony checking and sight in.

5- 8.2 gr Meisters @ 12 meters with fore-end only rest. Ftp'd ported etc. etc. 22-89 tube. 6 pumps per shot. Low 5's. 6X on the scope. There's a Meister on the target to provide a bit of scale~ not a single coin in my pocket. :lol:

Very old Tasco 3-9X 32mm aboard the SBK breech.

That old Tasco isn't really a bad scope. Parallax adjustble under that aluminum ring on the objective...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:28 pm 

Wow, great result!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 am 

Nicely done, Doc...can't complain with those results at all! 8)

Is she just for plinking or do you plan to hunt with it as well? With accuracy like that and using P-mags, me thinks it would make for a great lightweight, short-range grouse/squirrel/wabbit harvester.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:17 pm 

sholo wrote:
Nicely done, Doc...can't complain with those results at all! 8)

Is she just for plinking or do you plan to hunt with it as well? With accuracy like that and using P-mags, me thinks it would make for a great lightweight, short-range grouse/squirrel/wabbit harvester.

I dunno if that's tight enough yet for head shots on grouse. By the look of that group, it's gonna spread out to 1" , 1-1/2" or so by 25 yds, which is sort of max for me anyways.
I'll run a few more pellets through it, and check for group again.

Kinda glad you replied to this~ was just thinking about lapping for choke. This bbl's got a couple of rough spots in it too- just past the breech end, and about the middle.
I can't remember how you arrived at a lapping plug...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:35 pm 

Brass rod, wrapped with ptfe tape to create a seal with ~ 3/4" protruding beyond the wrap. I think I threaded that 3/4" for grip. Insert into barrel so that the end is just below the crown (erm, which you probably want to finalize after lapping). Warm end of barrel (particularly for 177) and pour in molten lead to form the plug. Once it has cooled, tap the rod and plug out and cut a couple of grooves in the lead to hold the lapping paste.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:29 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
was just thinking about lapping for choke. This bbl's got a couple of rough spots in it too- just past the breech end, and about the middle.
I can't remember how you arrived at a lapping plug...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Pretty much like EverHopeful just described. It might take a couple tries to get a nice plug formed in .177 (i.e- no air gaps/pockets) due to the tiny work area, but as stated earlier, lightly heating muzzle certainly helps.

Last winter I was fortunate enough to spend some time with our 'ol cohort SeanMP and get some "hands-on" training while I was laid off....learned a pile of stuff (incl bore lapping) from that man! Here's an excellant 2-part video showing his lapping technique that I think you will find most helpful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8xaaUaTTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzmlDT-yxE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:58 am 

Thanks for all the info, guys. This place is a great resource.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:12 pm 

Interesting vids. For a good laugh, turn on the c.c. button.

Seriously, though, there's some good ideas in there. All I need now is the time to get a few pellets shot through.....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail