Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:56 pm 

Went up to the in-laws for dinner and got chatting with my father-in-law about AG's. I knew he had a Webley Osprey but it turns out he has a few more he forgot about. He goes rummaging around and comes back with the first of two a Crosman 38T. It leaks all the Co2 out as soon as the cartridge is pierced but I managed to get it to seal enough to fire a few shots and it is functioning just need to get the cart to seal. Then he goes off again and comes back with the 1300. Both were in their boxes with the manuals. He says that it doesn't work and he didn't know why but it wasn't pumping up. I offered to get it running again.
I haven't opened her up yet but right away I notice the pump cup seems to be missing. Definately different than my 1377 and of much better quality. The piston looks like it is adjustable and is made of metal. Everything is metal with the exception of the grips. Breech is nice and tight feeling. Other than some very light surface rust on the barrel and tube it is pretty clean. It actually looks like it has been barely used. Would like to get it working again but after a cursory search I read a few in a few places that parts were hard to find for these.
So, I have a few questions. Anyone been into one of these? Any suprises I should prepare for? Anything I should do while I have it apart other than the usual smoothing of burrs and proper lubrication? Any ideas on availability of parts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:21 am 

Sounds like one of the old self-cockers from the description of the piston.

They did have a bit of a rubber cup around the piston head.

Contact http://scopesandammo.com - he stocks some seal kits for these old pumpers, and may be able to help...

They are not a lot different than the 13-77, except for the cocking system, and valve internals.

Also hit up the crosman site for the exploded parts diagram- they call it an evp, and it's in pdf format...

http://crosman.com

There should be a tab at the bottom of the main page that say manuals and parts...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:30 am 

Thanks Doc. Yeah, she's a self cocker. Printed out the parts diagram and noticed that Crosman doesn't make parts for it anymore. Was on Crosmans site last night but didn't know that the EVP was the parts diagram. One of the posts I read that said parts were hard to come by was written by Eric but found another that says he has some of the seals or can get them. Hopefully the pump cup is just lodged in the tube and I can salvage it.
Ya know, while reading up on the 1377 there were a ton of posts asking Crosman to make parts out of steel and get rid of the plastic. Posts like "if Crosman would put a steel breech on these I'd pay the extra for it". These 1300's have it all. Steel breech, quality grips (Bakelite?), steel piston, steel safety, I could go on. Just feels really well built.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:07 am 

Well, got her apart. Everything looks pretty good inside except the pump seal which is dried out and falling apart. Part number 760-042. Going to send Eric an email to see if he can get me one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:51 pm 

Sounds great - I hope you succeed in bringing it back to life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm 

Best of luck in repairing it.

Could you post some pics of it?

8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:42 pm 

Will do on the pics, once I put it back together. Have the original box with it's inserts to go along with it. Should make for some nice photo's, too bad my skills with the shutter aren't great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:16 pm 

Eric does indeed have the parts I need. Parts should arrive in 2-5 days. In the mean time I am giving it a thorough cleaning and preparing for the new seals. There is some slight surface rust on the barrel but no pitting. Whitewolf was kind enough to send me to the drugstore for some Naval jelly :ANAL: :axe: . Should have googled that first I guess. Pharmacy staff looked at me like I had two heads lol. Just used some elbow grease and cleaned her up pretty good. Still can see where the rust was as it has eaten the bluing but it is greatly diminished.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:28 pm 

Tinner wrote:
Whitewolf was kind enough to send me to the drugstore for some Naval jelly

*grin*. Right product, wrong store. Lord knows what they might have given you instead :) :)

http://www.amazon.ca/Henkel-235119-Loct ... B000C014ZI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:09 pm 

Tinner wrote:
Eric does indeed have the parts I need. Parts should arrive in 2-5 days. In the mean time I am giving it a thorough cleaning and preparing for the new seals. There is some slight surface rust on the barrel but no pitting. Whitewolf was kind enough to send me to the drugstore for some Naval jelly :ANAL: :axe: . Should have googled that first I guess. Pharmacy staff looked at me like I had two heads lol. Just used some elbow grease and cleaned her up pretty good. Still can see where the rust was as it has eaten the bluing but it is greatly diminished.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: couldnt help it was just so SO tempting for a giggle... :drinkers:

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:02 am 

My wife keeps asking what I am laughing about. My reply "naval jelly".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:15 pm 

Only managed to grab one pic sorry. The wife picked up a tablet for her folks so wanted to go up to their place last night and tale the dogs for a hike in the feild as well. Parts had arrived from Scopes and Ammo and I had it all back together and functioning perfectly so I brought it up to give back to her dad. Next time I go to their place I'll try to remember to bring my wifes Cannon Rebel.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 118.2 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm 

Dig the cycrolac grips and pump handle. They managed to sort of individualize the 13's way back when.

Is that the new stainless pivot pin from S&A?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:36 am 

Yes, it is the stainless pin from S&A. Nice little piece. I actually would have prefered the older steel one for this particular gun to keep the look but the stainless should last a very long time.

Cycrolac, is that the name of the plastic used? Definately gives it some individuality. The one piece grip is nice to hold in the hand too. I can see why the auto cocking feature isn't used anymore though. Trigger gets pretty weighty the more pumps you put in. No target pistol but a great can killer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:37 pm 

Yes- they were able to give the compound plastic swirls of color. It's been a while since I've seen it that nicely done...
Same plastic system was used on the earlier Mk 1 pistols.
I've got 2 medalist 13-22's here with the grips made the same way, but the colors are no where near as visible as yours.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail