Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:57 pm 

I recently took my barrel off and noticed the seal in the breech end was dry. How important is it to lube this o ring? Could it cause a loss of velocity if it isn't lubed?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:14 pm 

Lubricate with an oring lubricant. Ie.Silicone grease.
Orings exposed to friction dry. Dry orings recieve wear. Wear equates to poor clearances. Poor clearances equals leakage. Leakage has a peed off airgunner.....lol

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 pm 

Whitewolf wrote:
. Leakage has a peed off airgunner.....lol
you can say that again sir haha. Have you ever tried the Kleenex test on the breech to check for leaks? Sounds a bit hokie to me but I just read about it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:21 am 

Leakage ? .. Pee ... ? all Depends.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:27 am 

Yeah, any sort of lightweight tissue works great. Just drape something flimsy like a square of toilet paper over the breech after closing it and fire. If it jumps, there's wasted air. Could just be a lubrication problem or it could mean your seal is worn out. My Brocock Atomic actually had such a leak, blasting out a fair bit of air at the breech, when it was brand new. Nothing wrong with the O-ring, except that it was too small to make a snug fit on the pellet probe. So I asked around and found a very slightly thicker O-ring and bought 50 of them. On my 3rd or 4th now, after maybe 2 years. I put a drop of silicone oil on the probe and run it back and forth a few times, probably twice per tin of pellets. Keeping it oiled makes the pellets slip through more easily and prevents the O-ring drying out. No *puff* of a tissue now. Hardest part is getting the old seal out and new one in, as the Brocock plastic pellet tray is terribly designed. I have to use a smooth-ended polished metal rod pushed in from the muzzle almost to the O-ring groove as a backer, fish out the old one with a small sharp point (I use a fine dental pick) then fold the new one into a sort of peanut shape after rubbing with O-ring grease, then poke it into place and sort of massage it into the groove with a bent, very smooth probe. Takes a few minutes but worth it for consistency of velocity, and to avoid that blast of air in my left eye as I fire. I have the Atomic set up in a rifle stock so any leakage hits me in the face. Probably wouldn't have noticed the leak if I'd wanted to use it as a pistol.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:16 am 

Luckily my o ring is on the bolt probe. Then there's another one between the barrel and the receiver. Both easy to get at. I bet the brocock is nice and light?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:21 pm 

Depends on how it's configured. As supplied it was about 2lb 8oz. Heavy for a pistol. I haven't used it as a pistol in a long time and won't again as it's just too awkward that way compared with a proper target pistol like my Pardini, which weighs 995g or about 2lb. But as a carbine with a 4x RWS lightweight rifle scope and using a 3/8" aluminum rod wire stock on it's very light. As it's presently set up with a Boyd's Blaster stock, hollowed out and reworked to be a take-down stock, it's 5lb 6oz. Still light as rifles go, but I'm preferring the heavier weight for FT. A bit easier to hold steady while not being heavy enough to make it tiring to carry around. Some guys at the Mission FT thing are using rifles up at 15 to 20 pounds. Steady as a rock to be sure, but I just can't see myself carrying something like that and enjoying shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:37 pm 

The steady shooting is the good part of a heavier unit. The packing it around part, not so good :lol: