Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:03 am 

I bought a Crosman Phantom about half a year ago and I have made a few modifications to the gun like the spacer mod. My dad has his firearms license so I only shot it with him around with these modifications so it it legal. But I recently got my own junior firearms license and I want to upgrade my gun with a new spring. I understand that in airsoft, a heavier spring would beat your motor and piston to death if you didn't upgrade those too. Do I need some extra parts for the gun before I put a new spring in it? What would be a good parts list for the upgrade? I don't know anything about what airgun springs are good and what the different types mean. I have the newer model of the Phantom that doesn't have the hole in the piston. Also, how do the new models of the Phantom regulate the FPS if it doesn't have the hole in the piston? What is the difference between the 6" cylinder and the american length cylinder?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:29 pm 

I think Crosman got around the under 500 fps rule by going with a much smaller diameter wire spring(.100) and a length of
10-1/16" with 35 coils as opposed to the much heavier diameter wire(.124) and more coils(37) and a longer 10-5/16" spring of the 'full power" version.
Seems that all the new Phantoms have the short piston
(5-15/16") and no bleed hole,at least mine does.Huck

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:57 pm 

What's a "Junior Firearms Licence"?

I mean, I suppose it means just what it says, but I've never heard of it. What does it cover? May be something to look into for my Grandson...

Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:59 pm 

Legoman2179 wrote:
I bought a Crosman Phantom about half a year ago and I have made a few modifications to the gun like the spacer mod. My dad has his firearms license so I only shot it with him around with these modifications so it it legal. But I recently got my own junior firearms license and I want to upgrade my gun with a new spring. I understand that in airsoft, a heavier spring would beat your motor and piston to death if you didn't upgrade those too. Do I need some extra parts for the gun before I put a new spring in it? What would be a good parts list for the upgrade? I don't know anything about what airgun springs are good and what the different types mean. I have the newer model of the Phantom that doesn't have the hole in the piston. Also, how do the new models of the Phantom regulate the FPS if it doesn't have the hole in the piston? What is the difference between the 6" cylinder and the american length cylinder?

I learn something new everyday :wink: