Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: western plainsman 175
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:54 pm 

Got this gun to fix its pretty rare and had no idea about it because there is pretty much nothing on the net that I could find on the pistol besides some pictures nothing like a parts diagram or anything...even asked Len for some insight to which he replied that he has never had the opportunity to have worked on one before....but he did try to provide as much help as he could without ever seeing a Plainsman 175 before....thanks Len 8)
so pretty much had to guess my way around this repair job...I quickly noticed there was no Co2 end seal
wasn't even sure if there were missing peace's...after some debate on what kind of a seal this thing would take I eventually tried a #009 or 0010 O-ring and that seamed to work out fine....after inserting an 8gr Co2 cart it started leaking out the valve pretty bad so time to dismantle it...
there are two O-rings in this pistol one behind the piercing pin shaft....the other in the valve body...actually if you count the one I installed as the main Co2 seal that makes three...the design is pretty cool the way it feeds BB's into the valve body and up to the barrel almost like a little elevator....the pistol is a very strong shooter for an old BB pistol after I was done with the repair I ran it over the chrony and got 470fps not bad if you ask me.... :D

I was very surprised at the size of the valve body...was expecting much smaller...

even had an old dead spider in it :lol:

disassembled valve body... had to replace the dried out O-ring and rebuild the valve stem seal...

All back together and working again...... :D

Last edited by Ace on Sat May 16, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:39 pm 

Another very informative post and great job restoring a classic!

:)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:08 am 

X2 on that!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:06 am 

Beautiful Job!
Must be rewarding

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:37 pm 

thanks guys :wink:
yes its always rewarding when you can get one of these classics up and running again.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:26 am 

Valve stem looks like a Sheridan type.....KEN.