Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 pm 

After going through about 250 rounds on my P226, I started to get jamming. The top feeding part of the mag had worn, so that the BBs sat too high.
I seemed to have fixed the problem by insetting 1/8 inch brass (see picture). In retrospect, this was way too much work to fit and file the brass and I should have just bought another mag.

I think the problem was that I was using those very rough Copperhead BBs. I have since switched to Umarex BBs?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Attachments:
226x5_mag_brass.JPG
226x5_mag_brass.JPG [ 245.35 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm 

Quote:
jfcooper wrote
After going through about 250 rounds on my P226, I started to get jamming. The top feeding part of the mag had worn, so that the BBs sat too high.
I seemed to have fixed the problem by insetting 1/8 inch brass (see picture). In retrospect, this was way too much work to fit and file the brass and I should have just bought another mag.
I think the problem was that I was using those very rough Copperhead BBs. I have since switched to Umarex BBs?
Has anyone else had this problem?

I have nearly 400 shots on my P226 X-Five Open and the mag looks like brand new. Fact of the matter, I’ve never used Copperhead BBs in any of my pistols only Daisy Premium, RWS and Umarex.
Still such a wear after just 250 shots is a bit weird. How many BBs do you load into the mag? You shouldn’t load more than 15. Loading more than that calls for trouble. Forget that the manual specifies 18. Just BS. Also, you can insert the loaded mag with the slide locked back. It may/may not help a bit but definitely it’s not going to make anything worse.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:47 pm 

Quote:
I have nearly 400 shots on my P226 X-Five Open and the mag looks like brand new. Fact of the matter, I’ve never used Copperhead BBs in any of my pistols only Daisy Premium, RWS and Umarex.
Still such a wear after just 250 shots is a bit weird. How many BBs do you load into the mag? You shouldn’t load more than 15. Loading more than that calls for trouble. Forget that the manual specifies 18. Just BS. Also, you can insert the loaded mag with the slide locked back. It may/may not help a bit but definitely it’s not going to make anything worse.

Thanks, this is reassuring. I have another 226 mag that has never seen Copperhead rounds and after about 250 Umarex BBs, it is still good.
I knew about the 15 BB max rule, but not until after shooting several mags of BBs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:44 am 

That's an interesting solution to the problem. I know some people have suggested that squeezing the tips together can help when the fit starts to get a bit loose, but now you've made me wonder whether I could make up a replacement out of aluminum or brass. Rav is right about keeping the number loaded down. The more BBs loaded, the more the spring is compressed so the more force is transmitted to the plastic tips resulting in more wear and misfeeds. I have a few thousand through my 2 mags, and they seem to start fussy, settle down and then gradually wear out. Mine are getting to the point where misfeeds are creeping in again - annoying when it results in the valve dumping all the remaining gas. At least my mags haven't started dropping out of the gun yet. It happened to a friend at GTAC who reports that it's quite painful when a mag drops 5' onto your foot. We tried not to laugh, but it was tough.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:17 pm 

Quote:
That's an interesting solution to the problem. I know some people have suggested that squeezing the tips together can help when the fit starts to get a bit loose

I tried squeezing the tips together, but the plastic really didn't seem to be malleable and I was afraid I would break it.

Quote:
but now you've made me wonder whether I could make up a replacement out of aluminum or brass.

It is definitely doable and my fix seems quite robust after many rounds, but it is a lot of work to get the pieces fit properly. Interestingly there seems to be near zero tolerance between the tips and parts in the slide. The brass needs to be filed absolutely even with the mag or the slide will get stuck.

Quote:
At least my mags haven't started dropping out of the gun yet. It happened to a friend at GTAC who reports that it's quite painful when a mag drops 5' onto your foot. We tried not to laugh, but it was tough.

Ha, I accidently released a mag and it fell on the only rock around. I wish it had hit my foot!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:55 pm 

I have owned a P226 X-five Open for a year now and fired over 4700 shots (I keep score). I never had any jamming issue. I always load the mag with 18 BB's, I've even put 19 in and have had no problem. I only use Daisy steel BB. The only thing I never do is keep the magazine loaded when not in use.

13 BB replica pistols
5 BB rifles
6 replica airsoft pistols
5 replica airsoft rifle

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:59 pm 

That's amazing - maybe it's a record. They're great guns when they work well. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:28 am 

Do you lock the slide back before inserting a new mag? The lower number of BB's and locking the slide back before inserting the mag in the gun solved all my jamming and double feeding issues.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 am 

Quote:
Do you lock the slide back before inserting a new mag?

I also have started doing this, although it took me a while to figure it out. You can also see if there is a round in the chamber that shouldn't be there. As well, I think it prevents other mechanical problems with the pistol, as there seems to be fewer parts for the mag to contact when it is inserted.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:07 am 

DocGadget wrote:
Do you lock the slide back before inserting a new mag? The lower number of BB's and locking the slide back before inserting the mag in the gun solved all my jamming and double feeding issues.

Most of the blowback gun it's recommend to do so from the one's with experience, lock the slide back and put full load BB's -1 in.

Glock G17 6mm
SW M'n'P 40, Crosman 357 6'', SA 1911 TRS
Brodax 44, M1911A1 twin barrel 6mm.
M1911 Dragon 7'' Hi-Capa6mm, M1911 twin Hi-Capa
H'n'K USP. DT4 Nemesis 6mm