Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:51 pm 

I just had to share this little fixer upper with you guys, just to show you what I occasionally get my hands on for repair...when I got this 2240 i thought no problem these are easy guns to work on should be a simple fix....boy was I wrong, just when you think you've seen it all then one of these comes along and changes your whole prospective....I just cant believe what some people will do to there pellet guns....I know its just a cheap $60 2240 but still that's no reason to do what this person has done to it.... :evil:
Now the person I'm doing the repair for did not do this butcher job to the 2240 he inherited this basket case... :(
lets start with what I found...first its missing the safety spring and bearing no big deal lots of people that try to work on theses lose them...next they tried to put in a super light trigger spring that holds the sear up, well this spring was so light it would not let the sear engage, again no big deal right...well it gets better, upon further dismantling it I found JB weld oozing out the tubes exhaust port hole...then upon removing the hammer I see this big amount of JB weld behind the valve....so it looks like someone tried to fix a simple CO2 end seal leak with a bunch of JB weld...because it had no end seal :roll: :roll: :axe:
So I had to use force to get the valve out a lot of force it was all jammed up with the JB weld....upon removing the valve I noticed very deep pliers and vice marks on it another not so good sign...so I tried to crack the valve open to make sure the valve stem seal was ok...and had a hell of a time cracking it open only to find they used red loctite on it.... seriously!! .... :roll: :rolleyes:

also the whole inside of the air tube is coated with dried up JB weld....I sure hope this 2240 did not come from a forum member that would be very disappointing....so for the love of God people please don't try and do what this person has done.... :(
So was this 2240 worth the hassle probably not, but being the mr fixer in me I just had to do it..... :lol:

JB weld oozing out the port hole....

Looking down in the tube...

Valve removed...

Breaking off the JB weld...

red Loctite

Valve cleaned up...

main tube coated with JB weld....

will post pics of gun when completed.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:11 pm 

:lol:
actually to my knowledge the valves are red loc tited from factory. At least the dozens I have butchered were.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm 
Supporting Members

Thats not normal???? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:23 pm 

You did quite a job of sanding out the vice grip marks, I can't believe you don't have a lathe.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:15 pm 

killercrow wrote:
:lol:
actually to my knowledge the valves are red loc tited from factory. At least the dozens I have butchered were.

really...guess I've been lucky, both my 2240's have had no problems with the valves coming apart and the others I've worked on as well...up till this one.... :?

notec wrote:
Thats not normal???? :mrgreen:

exactly.... :lol:

Watertown wrote:
You did quite a job of sanding out the vice grip marks, I can't believe you don't have a lathe.

nope no lathe :( ...its not like I don't need or want one, I just have no place to put it...garage is full, even if it were a mini lathe no place in the house as well.... :(
I could have spent more time sanding it down further, but I cant waist to much time on this...just have to get it working again... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:22 pm 

That does not look like the JB weld I use in my CF repairs - mine is well mixed- 5 minutes of mixing and it sets properly. That stuff looks like yellow and grey mixture of grease.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm 

yes your correct Daryl...not the same as the stuff I use as well.
but it's some form of JB weld...it smells like JB weld but they probably didn't mix it up well, because while most of it was hard there was a section that was still soft.... :?
I found it strange why it was swirl looking, almost like it was poured in.... :?
the creamy white looking section was very hard but the grey looking section wasn't as hard....

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:28 pm 

Looks like a kid did it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:23 pm 

That is a lot of work to fix a $60 pistol!

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:08 pm 

Add a few pipe fittings and more vice marks and it could be a Kinetic Genious job :wink: :lol:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:40 pm 

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! - sorry - Doc made me laugh!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 pm 

lol Doc that was a good one....I forgot about him, what ever happened to Kinetic Genius...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:28 pm 

Ace wrote:
lol Doc that was a good one....I forgot about him, what ever happened to Kinetic Genius...

Quote:
Last visited: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Last post: post399116.html#p399116

Hasn't been that long... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:26 am 

If Frankenstein was an air pistol...lets just say you gave it life! It's Alive!!!!! Well maybe.... :P

Benjamin-Armada .25
Marauder .177
Trail NP .22
Classic .22
Legends Jim Shockey .22
Phantom 1000 .22 & .177
Nitro Venom Dusk .22
TR77 .177
Optimus .177
Vanguard .177

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:24 pm 

yes!! she is alive and ready to shoot another day :D
she is all back together and leaving in much better shape then when she came in...like I mentioned I was told not to spend to much time on this and rightfully so because they are around $60 new...it came with a krazy glued on cracked front sight and was told to just leave it as is.... so I replaced all the missing internal parts, springs and seals made a transfer port seal and I splashed a bit of paint on it just to make it cosmetically pleasing to the eye....so here are some before and after pics...did a quick chrony test and she is shooting 451fps :wink:
before....
after...
before...
after...