Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:33 pm 

Does anyone else use a BNM .22 cal breech? I have mine on a Crosman 2240 and they (BNM) included a 10 shot magazine in the kit. Upon completion I noticed how crappy the magazines work. So after researching I found out how to modify the mag slightly to improve it, but it was still far from perfect. It seems to only like wadcutters, and they still don't load well. So looking online I have noticed mag specific Benjamin Maurader pistols mags, which hold 8 rounds, not 10. So wilt that said, would that be the problem with my BNM breech not liking the 10-round mag? Wouldn't a company like BNM that deals within tolerances of a 2/1000" know this? I complained about the mags right away, and all they did was send me another mag. Before I go out and spend more money on 8-round .22 mags, please...someone must know what the actual physical difference between these two mags are?

BTW, BNM Customs are very courteous and nice to deal with. I would like to let them know if there's a difference between these two mags. Other people should know, if that's the case.

edit: By physical difference, I don't mean one has 8 and the other has 10. I mean, what other possible difference is there???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:13 pm 

There are three Marauder magazines.... The .177 and .22 cal rifle (MRod) mags share the same case, and are 10 round, and fit on a 7/16" barrel stub.... The .25 cal is 8 round, 0.10" thicker (accomodates longer pellets) and fits on a 1/2" OD barrel stub.... The Pistol .22 cal (PRod) is in between in thickness, fits on a 7/16" barrel stub, is 8 shot, and is a lower profile (smaller diameter) both above the breech and below the barrel line.... so it requires a shallower breech cutout.... All three styles require a different width of breech slot....

All three of the magazines function extremely well.... If you are having problems, it is likely one of three things.... The center screw is too tight.... the return spring is not in the proper hole in the back case.... or the brass pin that rides in the groove in the wheel is pressed into the clear cover too deep and dragging (it should be flush with the outside of the cover).... I have used all three magazines, and love them and find them trouble free providing these three problems are not present....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 pm 

Thank you for the speedy reply. I must say this is my guns weakest link. I guess BNM sent the right mags, as they do snap-click into the breech like they belong. Man, I am not happy with them. Why doesn't Crosman improve on these? I don't know how many times that spring came off before I bent it. It could be too tight. I doesn't load smoothy, so I must have one of those things wrong.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33 pm 

It's really odd that you would have that issue with one mag, let alone two. Did you receive the second already? Are you sure you're loading them correctly? I have a .25 cal BNM breech, and like you, the mags clicked in perfectly. I can't even imagine how a spring would "come off".

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:35 pm 

It's all three mags...yes, three! They are finicky little bitches. I have followed as much information as I could find to troubleshoot them, and still my gun does not load smoothly. I tried loosening the center pin off, I've made sure the brass pin doesn't scrape, and damn, if it still doesn't load smoothly. The mag rotates, as it should, but I have to give the bolt a let knock to get the pellet in. It works, but it's just not smooth, like it should be. Why does the pellet hang up? I've tried various types of pellets. I use Crosman wadcutters, as they seem to be the least trouble. So frustrating!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 pm 

Sounds like maybe the pellet is hanging up on the O-ring inside the end of the barrel.... ie a breech/barrel/bolt problem, not a magazine problem.... Just a thought.... Have you tried a single shot Mrod tray and does that eliminate the problem?.... I've never had an issue with the mags and I use them all the time....

Never had a BNM breech, however....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 pm 

I found with my BNM setup that if I don't screw down the breach perfectly square , the magazine binds and it doesn't cycle well. Try loosening the screws a bit at a time tithe point where the mags slide in with barely any pressure. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:04 pm 

Can you tell us if only the breech was made by BNM? It sounds like the pellets are getting stuck when they enter the barrel, as Bob was suggesting. Mine was slightly tight at first (kind of felt like maybe the skirt was getting caught as it entered the barrel), but seems to cycle fine now. Have a look inside the barrel where it is visible through the breech, look and see if the bore is smooth, or if there's heavy rifling there.

Also, I would leave the magazines alone for now. It sounds like you're getting caught after it leave the mag.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:55 pm 

I have the 22 and had the same problem Hobbyman refers to. After correcting that I haven't had any problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 pm 

I have it sorted out...hopefully. It would appear my bolt probe is too short. Measuring .2" which doesn't push the pellet skirt past the transfer port. I believe the correct length is .325"

I have contacted BNM. They are again fantastic to deal with. Sergio was willing to test another breech himself and send it to me no questions asked. That's complete overkill, and I have emailed him requesting the proper sized bolt which should, I believe, solve the current issue. It has to be it. I can see it in the barrel, and it's not clearing the transfer port, and greatly reducing velocity. The barrel chamfer has also made it better. I wish everything went smoothly from the start, but it has been a learning experience.

I would like to thank everyone that's offered help. Everyone's input here is appreciated. I will post my final results when I receive the new bolt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:06 am 

That's a bummer, and good for you for trying to resolve it. I have spoken highly of BNM and will continue to do so. Glad to see their customer service has always been so great.

If you have any issues, happy to try and troubleshoot some more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:47 pm 

RACKnRAIL wrote:
I have it sorted out...hopefully. It would appear my bolt probe is too short. Measuring .2" which doesn't push the pellet skirt past the transfer port. I believe the correct length is .325"

I have contacted BNM. They are again fantastic to deal with. Sergio was willing to test another breech himself and send it to me no questions asked. That's complete overkill, and I have emailed him requesting the proper sized bolt which should, I believe, solve the current issue. It has to be it. I can see it in the barrel, and it's not clearing the transfer port, and greatly reducing velocity. The barrel chamfer has also made it better. I wish everything went smoothly from the start, but it has been a learning experience.

I would like to thank everyone that's offered help. Everyone's input here is appreciated. I will post my final results when I receive the new bolt.

Are you saying the bolt probe part of the bolt legnth is .2", the tip at the end?

Mine is only.133"?

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:50 pm 

RACKnRAIL wrote:

Are you saying the bolt probe part of the bolt legnth is .2", the tip at the end?

Mine was working smoothly, now when i push the pellet in, the bolt is hard to push in at the very end and the pellet gets jammed!Every time now ggrrr....this is with the magazine or the single shot tray

Greg

Mine is only.133"?

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32