Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:07 am 
I got a Chrony coming today and I read that sticking LED pods above the defuser helps it read.

I see people using these red 20+ LED ones but was wondering if these simple 3LED would work. I found them under the sink. So theyre free.

Image


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6074
Location: P.G. B.C.
You'll have to try them to see if they will work.

You can get better light pucks at Canadian Tire. $5.99 iirc. They have many more LEDs and are very bright - batteries included. They have a single rare earth magnet on the back - to which I stuck a huge fender washer, then put several rare each magnets (Princess Auto) on the top of the chrony screen difuser and stuck the light to the underside. The magnets held it there perfectly, with the light shining down into the 'eye' of the screen.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:49 pm 
Daryl wrote:
You'll have to try them to see if they will work.

You can get better light pucks at Canadian Tire. $5.99 iirc. They have many more LEDs and are very bright - batteries included. They have a single rare earth magnet on the back - to which I stuck a huge fender washer, then put several rare each magnets (Princess Auto) on the top of the chrony screen difuser and stuck the light to the underside. The magnets held it there perfectly, with the light shining down into the 'eye' of the screen.


I went to CT to grab litter and seen these. Theyre black over 20 LED, got a hook that folds away and a magnet. Picked up 2 thanks.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 662
Location: Mississauga, ON
RobertMcC wrote:
I went to CT to grab litter and seen these. Theyre black over 20 LED, got a hook that folds away and a magnet. Picked up 2 thanks.

I have these. So far I have only used them under the difusers with the difusers at full height. I have had variable results with that setup. I would say approximately 80-85% good readings with .177 pellets and 95-98% good with .22. Nothing faster than 500fps in my arsenal, although while tuning I have seen 710fps with .22 before cutting back.

There have been many many threads both here and on the internet in general on how to get the best results. I would suggest you do as much reading as you can on the subject. I have gleaned several ideas that I intend to try when I get an opportunity to spend the time. I am quite interested in the subject - please post your results as you experiment. (Assuming, of course, that your setup doesn't work perfectly first try...)

_________________
Daisy 953 * QB78D * Walther 1894 * Beretta CX4 & PX4 * Zoraki HP01 * Beeman P17 * Walther CP88 Comp. * Crosman 1377/2240/SA6/357-8
Swiss Arms P92 * Colt Commander 1911 * Walther PPK * P08 * Colt Python 357 * TW 1911/Limited * S&W M&P R8


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:47 pm 
lleader wrote:
RobertMcC wrote:
I went to CT to grab litter and seen these. Theyre black over 20 LED, got a hook that folds away and a magnet. Picked up 2 thanks.

I have these. So far I have only used them under the difusers with the difusers at full height. I have had variable results with that setup. I would say approximately 80-85% good readings with .177 pellets and 95-98% good with .22. Nothing faster than 500fps in my arsenal, although while tuning I have seen 710fps with .22 before cutting back.

There have been many many threads both here and on the internet in general on how to get the best results. I would suggest you do as much reading as you can on the subject. I have gleaned several ideas that I intend to try when I get an opportunity to spend the time. I am quite interested in the subject - please post your results as you experiment. (Assuming, of course, that your setup doesn't work perfectly first try...)


I will. I thought my Chrony was coming today but got delayed. But from my experience with my last setup, lets say frustrating. The failure rate was high.

I also upgraded to a Chrony F1 vs a Alpha.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:57 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:41 pm
Posts: 997
Location: GTA
RobertMcC wrote:
I also upgraded to a Chrony F1 vs a Alpha.


How much do they charge for the upgrade?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:06 pm 
Woody wrote:
RobertMcC wrote:
I also upgraded to a Chrony F1 vs a Alpha.


How much do they charge for the upgrade?


I sold my Alpha earlier this year. When I thought I didnt need a chrony anymore. But needed a new one so I replaced it with a F1. I ended up getting it for like 135$


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm
Posts: 841
Location: Nova Scotia
When using a two light source I find it best to use a piece of cardboard on each light to make sure one light only shines on one sensor.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:10 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:41 pm
Posts: 997
Location: GTA
RobertMcC wrote:
I sold my Alpha earlier this year. When I thought I didnt need a chrony anymore. But needed a new one so I replaced it with a F1. I ended up getting it for like 135$


I thought you did the upgrade/trade up with Shooting Chrony. I'm curious what they charge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:50 pm 
Woody wrote:
RobertMcC wrote:
I sold my Alpha earlier this year. When I thought I didnt need a chrony anymore. But needed a new one so I replaced it with a F1. I ended up getting it for like 135$


I thought you did the upgrade/trade up with Shooting Chrony. I'm curious what they charge.


Nah just bought a new one.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:21 am
Posts: 77
I tried something a little different.
Changed my track lights above my hallway from G10 Halogens to G10 LED from IKEA.
Its now nice and bright and my target box is well lighted.

Chrony needs a little tweaking to have the shadow hit on the sensors properly(a little too bright)
May have to put up some skrims for my next test.

MM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:11 am
Posts: 36
Location: Winnipeg
I've tried a couple different battery operated multi-LED solutions but still got too many err1/err2 readings, and occasional ridiculous readings that raise doubts on entire sessions.

However, I just got in a pair of LED DRL strips that I rubber-banded on under the diffusers and have run about 50 shots without errors or unbelievable numbers:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4402801

I'm running these directly off a small 12v jumpstart battery rather than an AC/DC transformer to avoid potential AC induced flicker. Will see if they continue to give consistent behavior over a couple more sessions.

_________________
.22 - Crosman Model 1; Crosman p1322; QB57;
.177 - Crosman 357 8"; Baikal IZH 46m; Daisy 953


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 662
Location: Mississauga, ON
jandrew wrote:
However, I just got in a pair of LED DRL strips that I rubber-banded on under the diffusers and have run about 50 shots without errors or unbelievable numbers:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4402801

Good stuff! I have been contemplating trying the LED strip idea for some time now. One of the things that bothered me about the multi-led pucks is that there are (typically) four rows of leds, each row shining on the sensor from a slightly different angle. If the front sensor registered the pellet as it broke the beam from the front row of leds on the front puck and the rear sensor didn't capture the pellet until the last row of leds on the rear puck that could produce a possibly significant error in the speed reading. The closer the pellet to the sensor the less effect this would have. A low mount of the led pucks would increase the error.

I did look for LED strips but the ones I ran across were expensive, too long, and the individual leds too far apart. I didn't think of automotive applications. The ones you linked to seem to be ideal, at least worth trying out. Are those the exact ones you bought? Did you get them from that site or source them elsewhere?

_________________
Daisy 953 * QB78D * Walther 1894 * Beretta CX4 & PX4 * Zoraki HP01 * Beeman P17 * Walther CP88 Comp. * Crosman 1377/2240/SA6/357-8
Swiss Arms P92 * Colt Commander 1911 * Walther PPK * P08 * Colt Python 357 * TW 1911/Limited * S&W M&P R8


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6074
Location: P.G. B.C.
Is there anything like this at Canadian tire? Anyone know?

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4402801

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:13 pm 
Daryl wrote:
Is there anything like this at Canadian tire? Anyone know?

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4402801


http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-re ... =LED+strip


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO