Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 1740 new build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:32 pm 

Well it's safe to say I've fallen into the Crosman 2240 rabbit hole. After my first post where I built a stubby 1740 out of spare parts in the winter I finally got to try it out earlier in the summer and to probably no ones shock, I found the performance extremely disappointing. Thing was super loud even with a hammer spring about as powerful as one found in a ball point pen, the thing just wasn't that fun, ate CO2 and shot in the mid 200fps range. So I decided I wanted to go more of the carbine route while sticking with the .177 to maximize CO2 efficiency and pellet cost. I used an American classic 10.1 in barrel clipped the hammer spring, polished the trigger, sewed a buckskin foregrip to make it easier on the paws when the CO2 tube gets cold, fitted a folding stock, feyachi red dot sight. Walnut grips with gloss finish

Much happier with this result, been a blast tinkering with the thing and I imagine there will be more in the future

Things consistently shooting 7.3gr pellets in the 430-460fps range while getting 75 or so good shots per cart. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for

Let me know what you guys think

Attachments:
Compress_20220818_222958_8588.jpg
Compress_20220818_222958_8588.jpg [ 738.01 KiB | Viewed 448 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1740 new build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 am 

that's an interesting build. Was that folding stock arrangement an "over the counter" affair, of did you have to cobble bits and pieces together? Looks like it should work well.
JD

Post subject: Re: 1740 new build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:10 am 

Hey Jay,
The folding stock was sourced from eBay I believe, works pretty well and it's still comfortable to shoot as a pistol with the stock folded in. Similar to the Crosman stock, it's a tad short so I imagine I'll end up building a new butt plate for it that is marginally longer to make it a bit more comfortable.