Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:22 am 

Hey guys.

Picked up an HW75 from a member here on the forums. He has lots of post count and looks like a great rep which is why I did not hesitate. Unfortunately, right out of the box it was not working properly.

This is not a post for pointing fingers - I figure this thing got roughed up during shipping. I had asked questions before purchase and the gun was like new, working order, etc. In any case, this member is recovering from an injury I don't want to talk to him about this until he's feeling better / recovered. I have e-mailed him to let him know and told him it's no rush and to only reach out to me when ready.

In the meantime, I'd love some help if someone has any experience with this gun.

The issue is that when I finish the cocking stoke (clamp the gun closed) it doesn't actually close all the way. There is a gap. If I push down, it sometimes will close all the way, but then as soon as the shot is fired, the gun pops open as if I had hit the release. This throws off the aim most of the time, making this pistol unusable.

I have a picture with a comparison of the gun closed all the way (by forcing it down) and then others with it open (showing a gap) after the cocking stroke. I have more pictures (requested on another forum to try and help) and I will post them here - just various pics of the gun with the top opened up.

Attachments:
hw75b.jpg
hw75b.jpg [ 152.7 KiB | Viewed 1070 times ]
hw75a.jpg
hw75a.jpg [ 96.24 KiB | Viewed 1070 times ]
hw75_issue.jpg
hw75_issue.jpg [ 178.76 KiB | Viewed 1070 times ]

- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:54 am 

sounds like its not engaging properly on the release leaver, check to make sure the release lever is engaging properly when closed..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:57 am 

Ace wrote:
sounds like its not engaging properly on the release leaver, check to make sure the release lever is engaging properly when closed..

It might have to do with the lever. But it should not be that hard to push down to get the lever to catch. It's almost as if something is in the way, but what could it be?

Edit: So even when I finish the stroke while holding the release leaver open, it does not close all the way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:11 am 

if its hard to close down on the latch then your correct something is binding or in the way, I which case don't force it.... :?
have a close look as you close it slowly to see if anything is causing some restriction, also look for any wear marks...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:16 am 

Ace wrote:
if its hard to close down on the latch then your correct something is binding or in the way, I which case don't force it.... :?
have a close look as you close it slowly to see if anything is causing some restriction, also look for any wear marks...

I've already tried as much as I could to figure out what the heck is stopping or slowing the closing stroke. I have no idea. It's not the hammer either - whether I pull it back before or after the cocking stroke makes no difference.

SOmeone suggested removing the piston to see if there's a pellet stuck under there. Or perhaps removing the barrel and then trying to close it and see if it's any better (suggesting the barrel might be misaligned or something). Thing is I'm super green with these things. I'm a computer guy not a tinkerer and dismantling airguns is something I don't do usually.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:19 pm 
Supporting Members

Check that something isn't in front of the hammer. If it doesn't come forward all the way it wont latch properly. That's the only purpose it serves it to hold the breach down. If you need any help, let me know. These guns are great to work on.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hw+75+sc ... DQ#imgrc=_

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....