Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:14 am 

Any suggestions on a scope for my newly tuned Phantom rifle? Not wanting to spend a wad of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:43 am 

Will this combination serve me well?
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:42 pm 

I agree 100% with the mount, but the scope I don't know... Seems like a lot of $ for what you get, plus I don't know about it's quality or strength. I don't what scopes cost is CA, but I just bought one of these for $90 or 100US (I forget): http://tinyurl.com/hncjbm3 and the shorter version of the same for ~$15-20 more. I think for the $ they're pretty cool. The Leapers scopes have a rep for being strong, and "TS" means it's the strong version on top of that. I chose these mainly because I wanted the side parallax adj because it's way more convenient than the type on the front. That and the other features 44mm and 3-12x were nice. The illuminated reticle I could care less about and will never use, but that's how they come. If you just want a cheap generic scope that works then I'd consider a simple 4x32, which is what maybe half my guns have. Specifically the 4x32 that comes with the Crosman or whatever gun. They work fine imo but all depends on what you consider acceptable. Lots of people upgrade that oem 4x32 to something like the Leapers so I'm sure there are lots of people willing to sell their old one. The last used scope I bought was $20 delivered, which I think was a 3-9x40 Gamo.
Another scope you might check out is the 4-16x40AO Centerpoint, which is ~$75US, and that's very cheap for those specs. Plus it's better quality than similar scopes, like the 3-9x40AO that come with Crosman guns.
Just be wary of odd or cheap brands because they probably suck. Also know that firearm scopes have a parallax setting further out, which imo needs to be adjusted before airgun use. Plus firearm scopes may not be strong enough. Like 4x32 for a 22LR might be very weak since the mfg knows it'll never see any abuse.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:24 pm 

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:26 pm 

Depends on what you are doing with your rifle.A 4x32 may be good enough at 30 yards or so but when you are target shooting to 75 yards you'll want more magnification.I have a 3x9-40 AO and its perfect for the distance I shoot at....which is 75 yards.My 4x32 I keep for the non pal air rifle.....because its useless at long range shooting at small cans or pellet tins.....A 3 to 9 power or a 4 to 12 is all you'll ever need for the limited distance of springers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:56 am 

I'm going to suggest staying with a fixed power scope at the entry level price range. The cammed action of the zoom in a variable introduces more screws and other pieces to shake loose under the recoil of a high velocity springer. I disassembled a cheap variable that stopped holding a zero. Screws were sheared off and rolling around inside. Scope was a cheap "airgun rated" $40 3X9, gun was an 18fpe+ gas ram.
My full power phantom 22 wears a centrepoint 4X32 "package" scope. Even with my ancient eyes, shotgun shells at 40 meters don't stand a chance.

I think your choices are sound.

ps. If you decide to upgrade to a higher power scope at a later date, you will have a perfectly good 4X32 scope left over. You can then buy another rifle to put underneath it. Welcome to the addiction.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:31 am 

I suppose if you want to stay with 30 or 40 yard shots forever a 4 x 32 would be fine.Your gun can reach out much farther than that so keep that in mind before you buy.You may find.....as I have.....its a real blast hitting targets at 60 or 70+ yards.I 'd be bored stiff only shooting at 40 yards.The scope you have posted is a good scope..for the money...but again it depends on what you want to do with your rifle....