Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Benjamin Trail NP Pistol
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:48 pm 

I read this pistol is capable of 625fps in the American version which probably means 495fps with 7gr pellets. In Canadian trim it claims 495fps and mine is shooting at 395fps with hobbies. I'd like to get that up to 495fps.
Does anyone know if the difference between the two is a the nitro piston or port restrictions? The American ram's part number is S3-1-00-2 but I can't find the Canadian parts list. I'll tear down the gun tomorrow and see if there is a number on the gas ram. It badly needs a trigger job anyway.
Ed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:22 pm 

I tore the gun down today to find the part number on the gas spring and to see if I could improve the trigger. The American version of the spring was SE-1-00-2 and the one in my gun is SE-1-00-2A. So there is a difference. Crosman doesn't sell parts for this gun according to the site with the parts list and I haven't been able to find the American version part anywhere. If someone finds a site please let me know.
As for the trigger I was hoping to replace a spring or two to lighten the pull. There were no coil springs but a number of hair pin springs I believe they're called. I wouldn't know where to get such precise configurations with less tension. I did replace the trigger adjustment screw with a longer 1/2" one and was able to cut the pull length in half though.
I fell for the low price $85, free two day shipping and I got what I paid for. I will say that gas spring is as smooth as silk to cock.
Now let me see there must be a nephew with a birthday coming up. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:30 pm 

Today thanks to Raezor who brought me piano wire and the know how to make springs I was able to make my first safety pin spring. I had already added a longer adjustment trigger screw that shortened the pull but it was still so heavy it really affected the aim. Now with the new trigger spring it's as light as the more expensive triggers and I like it a lot.
I'm OK now with the 400fps it shoots RWS hobbies as I realized all my pistol are the same. Besides the smooth cocking and shooting of the gas spring is a real pleasure.
Well I guess my nephews are out of luck - I'm keeping it! :lol:
The first spring is the original, the second was my first attempt and it's ragged and wound the wrong way. The third was the keeper.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:52 pm 
Supporting Member

Hey, Ed I'm glad the wire worked out for you. Looks like you could go into spring manufacturing as a side line :D Nice meeting you today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 pm 

Nice job, Aged! :) Interesting topic; do you know where one can buy piano wire?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:00 pm 

The man to ask posted just before you Raezor.
Ed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:17 pm 

This is great! After reading this from Aged, I went and modified my trigger spring, and lightened the pull. What a difference! The pistol hadn't been used for a while after I literally threw it into the closet, but after I did the spring mod, I have put another 200 pellets through. It still have some other issues, but I can scratch the trigger off the list.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:07 pm 

Mod fever!! I can't stop. It seems like everything can be improved. Like the pyramid air review my pistol could not be adjusted to shoot high enough. Unlike BB's solution of aliening the front and rear sights oddly to compensate (photo 1) I had to change things.
I filed the front fiber optic free from the two bands holding it (photo 2). Then I filed a triangular grove deep into the center of the front post, aliened like the barrel, to take the fiber opic (photo 3) which I glued in. Now I had to actually lower the rear site 4 notches and the elevation is right on at 10 yards.
I like to think the mods I've made to the gun contributed to the better grouping I got than BB (photo 4). Hummm what's next? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:10 pm 

[quote="Aged"]Mod fever!! I can't stop. It seems like everything can be improved. Like the pyramid air review my pistol could not be adjusted to shoot high enough. Unlike BB's solution of aliening the front and rear sights oddly to compensate (photo 1) I had to change things.
I filed the front fiber optic free from the two bands holding it (photo 2). Then I filed a triangular grove deep into the center of the front post, aliened like the barrel, to take the fiber opic (photo 3) which I glued in. Now I had to actually lower the rear site 4 notches and the elevation is right on at 10 yards.
I like to think the mods I've made to the gun contributed to the better grouping I got than BB (photo 4). Hummm what's next? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:08 pm 

My guess is the "A" on the spring is just a mfg update. Hard to say but that's how they do it with other gas springs. The parts list I have shows the spring as S3-1-00-2, so my guess is the second digit is the power. For example one common nitro in a rifle that offers both full and weaker springs uses the third digit of 9 for full power and 5 for reduced. They often do the same with the guns part # by using 9 as full power, 7 as 700fps, and 5 as 500fps. Well, I assume that's the idea but the point is those # designate power and see to somewhat match fps. My guess it may be easier/cheaper for them to reduce power by using a longer piston or bleed hole, but also just a guess based on other Crosman guns.
If you wanted to compare springs you could find someone with a full power who was willing to measure cocking effort, then compare that to yours. Optionally you could buy that spring I mentioned thru Gravel. Basically if you have the part # Crosman will sell it, the trick is getting the #. I scored an NP2 parts list first thing so I was able to order NP2 parts long before most anyone else. Seems the std is they release a gun, then wait at least one year before releasing the parts list. I guess so people will buy a new gun vs simply upgrading their existing one?
I dunno...
The piston # I have listed is # S3-1-04-2, and seal is S3-1-04-1, so compare those as well.