Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:12 pm 

I took my Marla rifle apart for a cleaning and tune-up and found out it would also need repairs. As I suspected, the leather seal was damaged. The classic finishing nail embedded in the seal :mrgreen: . The main tube also need some cares, and will be cleaned, deburred and re-honed. I'll update the thread as I progress in the tune up.

Attachments:
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4900.JPG [ 203.38 KiB | Viewed 1746 times ]
IMG_4895.JPG
IMG_4895.JPG [ 126.98 KiB | Viewed 1746 times ]
IMG_4897.JPG
IMG_4897.JPG [ 174.89 KiB | Viewed 1746 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:39 pm 

I did some work on the Marla today. A nylon spring guide and top hat were made, both with thrust washers. New leather piston and breech seals were made, as well as a screw, a shim and a face washer. The ID of the piston will be moly-pasted, and the guide and top hat will get synthetic grease. The leather seals have already been treated with mink oil, and I'm awaiting some silicone oil to finish the treatment. The rear guide fits over the stock spring seat, with no permanent mods to the stock parts. The spring itself has been straightened, cut 2 coils (1 at both ends), and the ends have been squared and ground. All this should help to smooth the shot cycles a bit 8) Next step is the deburring and polishing of the metal parts that need it.

Attachments:
IMG_4910.JPG
IMG_4910.JPG [ 190.76 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:35 pm 

airmec wrote:
The classic finishing nail embedded in the seal :mrgreen: .

Someone know what is the purpose of this f****** 90° angled finishing nail? I just find one completely jammed at the bottom of the compression chamber of a used air rifle that I'm working on, and had a hard time trying to remove it without damaging the tube!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm 

PGAir wrote:
airmec wrote:
The classic finishing nail embedded in the seal :mrgreen: .

Someone know what is the purpose of this f****** 90° angled finishing nail? I just find one completely jammed at the bottom of the compression chamber of a used air rifle that I'm working on, and had a hard time trying to remove it without damaging the tube!

Of course someone tried to use it as a projectile, it passed through the TP and got stuck in the comp. chamber :wink: The Slavia 620 I made a seal for recently had this same issue :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 am 

I should have thought of it myself. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 am 

Just read this on the Gateway To Airguns forums:
Quote:
There are two possible explanations for this. First is people may have tried to shoot them out as darts but they fell in through the transfer port. Second is they were intentionally put into the gun to bring the power back up. Such older guns usually have leather piston seals and the nails are thought to expand the seals out for a tighter fit. Call it a really poor man's tune.