Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:42 pm 

Ok so I like my Benji .22 Legacy NP Break Barrel and the user manual's pictorial of the oil maintenance of the "compression chamber" is quite vague as to where the dab of oil goes at 250 shots... even google images did not offer satisfaction as to where to drop the oil....

The user manual shows the entry port of the pellet but neglects to show the general area of the compression chamber where the oil goes!

So I have the official RMCOIL (or if that is wrong, it is the silicone chamber oil) from Crosman but damned if google could help me with the precise location of the dab of oil! :lol: :roll: :wink:

Can someone with a break barrel (maybe preferably a NP?) please take a photo of the location where you "Apply one drop of RMCOIL into the compression chamber" and even crudely make an arrow to the location please :lol: :rolleyes: :roll:

I might not be the brightest light bulb in the water... but these instructions seem vague... :x :? 8)

Thank-you

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:16 pm 

Luckily, a simple, and infrequent maintenance item. Personally, I use chamber oil sparingly. It's mostly to condition and lube the piston seal...

Step 1: "break" the barrel, but not so far as to cock it. See the hole where the pellet goes? When the barrel is closed, that hole will line up with the output hole of the compression chamber (where the piston compresses the air during firing). You may have to fully cock the gun to do the next step (depending on the hinge distance of your particular rifle). Fully cocking pulls the piston back to the end of the compression chamber, firing moves the piston forward thanks to a spring, or a gas piston in your case.This forces the compressed chamber air out through that little hole, and down the barrel, pushing your favourite pellet toward the target.

Step 2: with the rifle pointed upward (and barrel partly/full open), carefully put 1-2 drops-ONLY- of chamber oil directly into the output hole of the chamber. Hold it that way for a few seconds to let it make its way into the chamber. If you fully cocked the barrel, insert a pellet, and fire at something safe. Taking a few shots will distribute the oil around the chamber.
Word to the wise-never dry-fire an airgun (i.e. fire without ammo). It can cause some serious damage due to a lack of backpressure for the piston...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:36 pm 

Excellent & Thank-you ~

You confirmed what I thought but was not going to chance without an experienced Fellow chiming in.
2 small drops into the chamber followed by 3 pellet shots.

Grateful for your directions.

Question: What does one lube the seal with that is located around the pellet seating? Pellgunoil ok?
The user manual ONLY mentions a few drops of RMCOIL on the compression chamber every 250 shots...

57scott wrote:
Luckily, a simple, and infrequent maintenance item. Personally, I use chamber oil sparingly. It's mostly to condition and lube the piston seal...

Step 1: "break" the barrel, but not so far as to cock it. See the hole where the pellet goes? When the barrel is closed, that hole will line up with the output hole of the compression chamber (where the piston compresses the air during firing). You may have to fully cock the gun to do the next step (depending on the hinge distance of your particular rifle). Fully cocking pulls the piston back to the end of the compression chamber, firing moves the piston forward thanks to a spring, or a gas piston in your case.This forces the compressed chamber air out through that little hole, and down the barrel, pushing your favourite pellet toward the target.

Step 2: with the rifle pointed upward (and barrel partly/full open), carefully put 1-2 drops-ONLY- of chamber oil directly into the output hole of the chamber. Hold it that way for a few seconds to let it make its way into the chamber. If you fully cocked the barrel, insert a pellet, and fire at something safe. Taking a few shots will distribute the oil around the chamber.
Word to the wise-never dry-fire an airgun (i.e. fire without ammo). It can cause some serious damage due to a lack of backpressure for the piston...

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:03 pm 

Pellgun oil works great. More so on the older fibre and leather seals, but good on an O-ring as well...
As with all lubricants, use sparingly...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:46 pm 

Firing the gun will spray that chamber lube on the breech seal so I guess it's an automatic oiling system. It lubes the bore too which I like the idea of, so between that and wanting to prevent rust I oil the chamber more often than most. But I use syn motor oil, silicone doesn't seem like a good barrel lube to me.
If you use that silicone then I suggest you use as little as possible and far between as possible since the rest of the gun doesn't like it. It'll end up on the piston, cocking linkage etc. Kinda hard to hurt that model but no point in stress testing it. I'd compensate by adding a few drops of motor oil or grease on the piston via the cocking slot. Probably a good idea either way since guns seem to be lube starved these days.
Apparently the Pellgun oil is motor oil so I suppose that's an option. I've never tried it since I haven't had any since I was a kid. Just stay away from things like WD40 or other aerosol "lube" in the chamber. It's real convenient with that straw, but also very flammable. I imagine the easy to use straw on WD40 is how all the chamber oil drama started.