Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:48 pm 

I have a Benjamin Maximus and the bolt handle broke off. I'm looking for help on how to change it as I'm new to PCP's and haven't had one apart. I could send it in under warranty but they tell me about three months to get it back and I don't want to wait. I'm sure someone on there should be able to guide me through it. Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:11 pm 

Broke off right at the bolt I presume? Believe it to be most likely that it's threaded in...nothing left to grab hold of easily?

Pictures? Macro mode if you have it.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:45 pm 

They're threaded in.

8-32 thread so you can make a replacement bolt handle for the time being or buy a stainless bolt.

Chances are you don't got a .50 hex key to take the breech off. If theres a little nut left might be able to get a set of vise grips onto. Or you might need to drill the center out a wee bit and hammer in a Torx bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:44 pm 

I have the Allen key but I've never taken one apart. Yes it broke off even and I'm pretty sure once I have the bolt in my hand getting the piece out won't be a problem. I ordered a replacement bolt and handle today from Canada shooters supply. He told me if it doesn't work he will take it back so now just to take it apart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:13 pm 

Let me check if I have a spare left handed drill bit. If I do, I'll ship it to you free of charge. If you center punch what's left of the handle, then drill the bolt handle thread with a left handed drill, it may thread itself out when the bit bites. If it doesn't, you'll need to use an extractor. I'll check for that as well. Not sure I have them that small at home.

I won't be home until tomorrow. So, give me 24hrs...

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:20 am 

Thank you everyone that helped me figure out how to replace the bolt in my Maximus. It's all back together after a few choice words trying to get the breach screw out. I put the long probe bolt in and tomorrow I'm going to Chrony and see if there is any difference. I only went to the long probe because that's what was available.