Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: newbie help Trail NP2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:31 am 

Hi I am new here and have been searching for answers but my computer skills are lacking.I just bought a Steel Eagle NP2 Canadian version,ie sub 495 fps.Does anyone know how the newest versions of these were detuned?I am thinking because of the additional "shock absorber" it wont be a hole drilled in piston.Longer piston?longer piston,weaker gas spring?Normal piston,weaker gas spring?I could not find a pal rated version of this gun in Canada and not a fan of the Benji thumbhole stock.I already own several powder burners so I do have the proper paperwork.My wife intercepted my package and not giving it to me until Sunday.I am trying to find the info so I know what I am getting into.I have access to metal working machines so accurate cutting and drilling is not a problem.I hope someone can provide a link or info on this.Please.Also any idea of the max stroke length for a full power NP2 gas spring?I already ordered and received a full power gas spring and piston seal to start with.Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:01 pm 

There are no parts available for the NP2 from crosman. , the full power version part # is BTN292SX . Best bet would be to keep an eye on the crosman/Benjamin website for when they start selling parts.
Now how they went about detuning , like you mentioned lots of ways to do it. I would dissassembly the rifle and have a look . It's about the only way to be certain . Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:18 pm 

I can't say what exactly they did to drop power, but you could compare the cocking stroke to full power guns. A longer piston means the barrel won't go as far when cocking, and you can no doubt see full power cocked pix online somewhere. My guess is when cocked the full power barrel will come 4-5" from the trigger guard.
As for parts, Crosman will sell them if you have the part #'s, which I happen to have :)
I also have the main seal part # which for some reason Crosman isn't listing on that parts list. Maybe it's an attempt to sell complete pistons for more profit, but I think maybe it's because they don't want people to know the NP2 is not an all new gun but in fact an updated version of their first break barrel, the Legacy. Point being you simply order using the main seal for the Legacy or whichever model of that line which includes the RNP and NPSS. That's the old Legacy from ~2004, not the new one.
So I have the parts list which I cannot attach to this post, not allowed, so just email me at chevota at hotmail.
Also, fyi, there is an NP2 parts list floating around that has at least some incorrect part #'s. I dunno wth goes on at that company but whatever the case I have the newer list which has those #'s corrected and I hope no other errors.
The main seal # is CRS5177-012 and is ~$2.05US, which should =~$4CA via the Gravel Agency.
The list also only shows the "new" trigger as a complete assy, but rather than being new it is in fact the Legacy unit and using the Legacy parts list you can buy individual trigger parts if needed. For example if you wanted to tinker with the sears you can get a backup sear(s) just in case. The trigger is more or less the same design as the B18 that everyone complains about, but it is much better since they modded it. So the only mod most people do is replace the coil spring in it with a weaker one, but optionally you can also sharpen the sears as mentioned, which I do but that's up to you. I also suggest you replace the piston button on top with a better one, or add one in addition to, or at least keep an eye on the oem one to be sure it's still working. I also suggest better side washers are made for the barrel, which many do for the B18 but the NP2 just has diff dimensions. Note the barrels side to side movement, which is greatly reduced with better custom fit washers.
So imo you should be able to tell Gravel the parts #'s you want and they should arrive. I ordered NP2 parts two years ago direct from Crosman so Gravel should have the same luck.
If you take your gun apart you will be able to see whatever they did to drop power, and the nitro should have a part # on it. The full power NP2 nitro is # NP214-012. I have an NP2 spring which only cost me $7.77, so est ~$15.50CA? Coulda been pricing error at Crosman since the other gas springs start at >3x that. All I can say is it was $7.77US two years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:09 am 

Just got into the gun this morning.My version of the NP2 did come with the full power gas spring,short piston,small hole drilled in piston.The main seal looked good .I had already purchased a NP214-012 gas spring and CRS5177-012 seal so it looks like i will have some spare parts for future.Time to get dressed and go fire up the welder to plug the hole.Chevota thanks for info,you have already sent me. info and pics.Very good guide.easy to understand,lots of info,it helped out a lot.Might build a gas spring compressor to get a stroke length measurement since i couldnt find it anywhere and am curious now.Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:12 am 

I forgot to mention gas spring $16.99 seal $4.50

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:26 am 

It appears that the small hole also goes right through a allen head bolt holding the pieces together.maybe just needs new bolt and loctite.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:16 am 

well got it back together.I took piston apart very specific type of bolt that I am not able to duplicate so i welded hole ,filed smooth finished with 400 paper.After looking at various pics on issues with these guns i was very happy to see the fit and finish on this gun.Did I get lucky or is QC improving at Crosman.there were some sharp edges that needed deburring but all the machined surfaces were smooth.Since it looked so good i skipped right to 1000 grit paper to polish all mating surfaces.I also used 1000 paper on trigger sear mating surfaces.it feels a little lighter and way smoother even with stock trigger springs.Only issue I ran into was a very short eye relief on supplied 3-9x32 scope.I had to mount both sets of rings in front of adjustment turrets and mount on gun as far to rear as possible.When mounted in the "normal"location I had something that worked like a 1/4 to 3/8 inch peep sight.Overall it seems to be a good gun.Now time to start shooting it.I hope it gets a little quieter it is very loud in the basement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:23 pm 

I dont have a crony so I got a couple on my phone.They are both reading between 475 -490 fps.This is after welding up hole in piston.It has short piston,cocking stroke barrel almost to trigger,np214-12 gas spring.Any body have any ideas on how else the gun could have been detuned?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:02 pm 

Thanks for remembering the prices :) I asked on a different email so just ignore that one. Maybe ignore altogether since two threads can get very confusing.
I'd take the gun apart and take pix of everything for everyone to see. I'd also make sure both the breech and main seal are actually sealing and there are no other detune stuff going on. For example on a generic Crosman they do a few things depending on 177 or 22. yours is 22 right? So I'd imagine the hole and a weaker spring would do it, but I don't know if or by how much weaker the spring is so there may be some other factor. Try not to look at it as fps, but as ftlbs. So the full power gun should make 22ftlbs +-~2. The 177 I rekon is ~4ftlbs and the 22 ~5.5?
So they would detune them differently, or do more to the 177. Fixing even one thing should bring power up to 10 or more so this is why I suspect something is up, leakage #1, either oem detune sabatoge or simply a defect but it's gotta be.
I assume the barrel is pretty normal? I mean the pellets seat in there fairly snug and it shoots reasonably well? Have you pushed a pellet thru by hand to verify quality? One last thing is a new spring is no guarantee it's fully charged, but you can estimate buy cocking it.
When the barrel is off could you also take a pix of the barrel block with a ruler next to it? I want to see the dimensions which I suppose is possible they tampered with. And the piston of course :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 am 

I am going to try to keep any related posts in NP2 transfer port size thread it will make it easier in future for others to find info. thanks.