Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:54 am 

Does anyone have any experience using Nylatron instead of Delrin for making a 1377 piston? I was lucky to get some offcuts of that material where I work, and it seems to have slightly better mechanical and thermal characteristics than Delrin. Basically, it's a nylon polymer impregnated with molybdenum disulfide. I'm in the middle of a pumper project, and I will make a piston anyway, but if anyone has experience/opinion about it, please share, that would be very appreciated :)

Nylatron: http://qepp.matweb.com/search/DataSheet ... num=P1SM21

Delrin: http://qepp.matweb.com/search/DataSheet ... num=P1SM03

Happy holidays to all!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:23 pm 

In the past I have used nylatron for making bushings and valve stems. Machines well (sharp HSS), but found it to be a bit on the soft side for my liking.

I like brass for pumper pistons. Low coefficient of friction with steel combined with good strength and ease of working.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:16 pm 

I don't know how the melting point compares, but I melted a Delrin piston back in the early days.... I now use only metal, less flex, too....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:34 pm 

Delrin aka acetal (Polyoxymethylene) is a synthetic polymer. It is a thermoplastic engineered for excellent machining properties, high stiffness, low friction, excellent dimensional stability and precision parts. The only downside with Delrin, is that it will not take any adhesives. It also is so chemically resistant it will not etch with even with industrial chemicals to aid adhesion of any glue. But it's so machinable, you can drill and tap it.

Nylatron is simply a nylon impregnated with moly... Sure it would have great self lubrication and long wear life, but if it machines like any other nylon... I'll pass over Delrin everytime.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:22 pm 

Made the piston. The Nylatron machined very well, with clean cuts, using a freshly sharpened Cobalt HSS tool bit. Just needed to keep the RPM under 500 to avoid over-heating (I don't use coolant fluid). 8)

Attachments:
1377_adj_piston.JPG
1377_adj_piston.JPG [ 135.48 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:45 pm 

Looking at the specs the nylatron is certainly able to handle heat better than Delrin and from reading on another site a prominent tuner and custom part maker state he prefers nylon md which I believe is the same as nylatron for hammers over Delrin due to its hardness.
Hope it serves you well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:07 pm 

GarthThomas wrote:
Looking at the specs the nylatron is certainly able to handle heat better than Delrin and from reading on another site a prominent tuner and custom part maker state he prefers nylon md which I believe is the same as nylatron for hammers over Delrin due to its hardness.
Hope it serves you well.

Thanks GarthThomas, that's pretty interesting :) . I'm far from being done experimenting with that material.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 pm 

I like it :), but not a flat top?
I wanted another adjustable one similar to yours, kinda, but the guy stopped making them :(

A guy was asking me about bumping power in a 760 and 2200 but I've never seen any other than 13xx. Seems yours could be lengthened with all-thread so I'd imagine that would work?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 pm 

Along these lines?

Al

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:16 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I like it :), but not a flat top?
I wanted another adjustable one similar to yours, kinda, but the guy stopped making them :(

A guy was asking me about bumping power in a 760 and 2200 but I've never seen any other than 13xx. Seems yours could be lengthened with all-thread so I'd imagine that would work?

No, not a flat top 8) . It does conform very closely to the pointed shape of the valve though. I even gained a bit more fps at ten pumps, about 15, probably because it's stiffer than a stock piston. You could indeed use that piston in a 760 or an M4-177, the piston and valve are the same as a 13xx gun (minus the screw hole in the front valve half, and the shape of the exhaust port). And I guess that you could also use the piston head with all-thread in a 2100/2200 (similar to Gippeto's pic), the pump tube is the same dimension as a 13xx/760/M4. I may try it someday in my de-tuned Rem. AM77

Just saying Chevota, but one of these days you should get yourself a mini-lathe. It's an invaluable tool for a tinkerer like you (and me :D )!