Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:47 pm 

Went to my girlfriend's fathers place, i was talking about air guns with her father, and he said that he had an old rifle that he had found at his brother house, that died in a car crash when he was 20 years old, so i took a look and gosh they were in bad shape! it was a Slavia 624 ( 2 of them one which is going to be used for parts and the other for the restoration) the stock is not a problem as i know how to revamp it and take care of it; but i wanted to get some help from members who have restored old rifles.

I would like to restore the nicest one and find parts for it, like the front sight, sand and re-blue the barrel change the spring and piston and clean the whole thing up, and would like to know how to work with the metal parts, which paint/primer to use, how to sand it and most important how to re-blue that barrel. As for the missing parts and where to find them i'm pretty sure i can find sites for it on google!

Both models are .177 cal. but the most beat up one has dovetail grooves and the other doesn't (probably the oldest one doesn't?)

So i will keep this up to date with the steps and with pictures of them to keep this entertaining, i know they can probably be found for cheap and is probably not worth restoring, but i'm mostly doing this as a gift and for the good memories that it will bring back when he plinks with it.

Last edited by patfraser3 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Slavia 624 Rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 pm 

Internals:

(Rusted one with the dovetail)

Not to bad (one with the stock)

Pistons are unusable i guess new ones are going to be ordered!

That front sight is pretty beat up but they look punched it? (will those be easy to remove?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 pm 

Those little Slavias are nice light plinkers and worth rebuilding 8)

Before you do anything, you have to get the rust off without damaging the bluing (unless you plan to reblue it from scratch). You can use fine #0000 steel wool (available at home depot) with some oil to gently remove the rust. Clean all the parts thoroughly including the inside of the compression tube after you deburr the rough areas. You can then degrease it use a cold blue solution to repair the patches with missing bluing or sand down all the blue and do it from scratch.

The piston seals are leather so you can rejuvenate them by soaking them in oil. You can make new seals out of leather as well. Yes, the rear sight can be punched out sideways by hammering a wooden block/dowel against it after soaking it with WD 40 or Liquidwrench. Your mainsprings look fine (as long as they weren't stored precocked) so you can leave that alone (maybe add a few metal washers to the piston and spring to add some power). When you have all the internal parts out, sand down any rough spots and burrs. Final step is to apply moly grease on the spring, piston, and other moving parts of contact and reassemble.

Your sights look fine and shouldn't need to be replaced. For the 2nd gun that has been cut, if you can find a new barrel and stock (or make a butt stock extension yourself), you can easily restore it as well.

BTW, Hacked2Pieces is selling some parts that might fit should you need them:

topic60919.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:46 pm 

the barrel doesn't have much rust but has alot of paint drips on it :S so i think i would prefer sanding it down completely, but have no idea about the bluing process. Is it a product that you put on it? do you have to have it done by a gunsmith? if someone could enlighten me with the process i would appreciate :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:03 pm 

If you want to hot blue it, you will probably have to send it to a gun smith.

Cold blue, you can do by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrdESVrBA_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_nE4lKK_w

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:28 pm 

Ok so Cleaned up the compression tube with some steel wool at the end of a drill with a wooden dowel

then i cleaned up the breech and wanted to take out those huge grooves/marks from the loading process. Applied a coat of JB Weld that i will sand tomorrow when dried. While i was a it a fill the breech area up with JB weld also since it wasn't squared with the receiver. Will also wait for it to dry and sand it down tomorrow.

After:

While i was at it i went to Canadian Tire and bought an Outers Bluing bottle. sanded down the barrel and then prepped it with #000 Steel Wool. Applied the blue and cleaned it with hot water and rubbed steel wool again (process on the bottle). did the process 4-5 times.

Before:

After:

:) Thanks for reading

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:40 pm 

Compression tube done!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:20 pm 

Patrick, you've got a real good finish for your first time!!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:22 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
Patrick, you've got a real good finish for your first time!!!

Thanks rick! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm 

Very nice... some of those parts look brand new.
Harry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:58 pm 

HarryEClark wrote:
Very nice... some of those parts look brand new.
Harry

Thanks! only new parts are the front sight hood and the breech seal that i ordered from the UK (Not yet arrived). Other than that my goal is to make it look like new! And also to show new people that although it is time consuming, that it is worth it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:05 pm 

Good work man 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:29 pm 

Spring degreased with some brake cleaner, Spring guide sanded with 800 wet sand paper, trigger guard sanded and blued, cap sanded and blued, and also trigger sanded to remove the welds and blued

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 pm 

Stock refinished, here were the steps:
1. Remove old varnish
2. sand to remove imperfections
3. apply a coat of linseed oil that i let sit for 36 hours
4. apply a mix of shellac flakes and alcohol let it sit for 30 min
5. sand with 600 grit paper
6. apply a coat of sealer
7. apply the lacquer and let sit for 24 hours

here are the results:

i also made a leather seal press/mold that i will try with different sizes to see what fits best

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm 

Nice job on the stock! Very smooth finish!!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177