Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:55 pm 

I like PCP but I hate pumping and I just picked up a Scuba tank but I really wanted a compressor.

So seen some idea online. Some double pulleys, some using gear boxes etc.

I started with thinking of using double pulleys to reduce the RPM needed, happened to find 2 in the garage that will work but I kept on getting stuck with a tensioner system. Trying to keep it simple.

Seen this design and was that's it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihcDR6zVOXw

PA had a gear box on sale so I picked that up online.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8607392e

Step father had a 1/2 HP 1750 RPM motor he gave me. Being a 220 V would require so much wiring. So should do well with my 60:1 gear box. I'll wire in a switch once I get all mounted.

I had to goto metal r us in the city. I picked up some 2x6 tube. Started to build the base for the motor and gear box ( which will be in tomorrow ) Its getting directly coupled together. Its going to be a 2 piece base, so I can fold it away so it doesn't take up much space.

Now I gotta work on the brackets for the pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:21 pm 

The fast rise on the pressure gauge on that video indicates that the valve on the tank is closed, all that is happening is that the pump is pressurizing the hose.... no way could it fill that massive tank that fast.... Other than the slow fill time, and the wear on the pump, seems workable....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:15 pm 

Never opened the tank - unless it was already open and empty, in which case, impossible to get so much pressure per pump - MUST have been as you saw, Bob- only pressurizing the hose.

Would take so long - would need a shutoff valve, so as not to over pressurize the tank after a LOT of time in operation at such slow speed - hours of operation?

Interesting concept though - with a shutoff, start it up and go do something else, come back and full tank. what about cool down of the pump?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:59 pm 

Video is just mainly for the basic construction.

I don't think id use it to fill a Scuba tank. But def my 13 and 48ci tanks. But some people do fill scuba with these setups.

Im planning on also boosting the hand pump that will lessen the pumps needed. Might cool it down a bit. As for the pressure gauge. I havent figured that out yet. So will just be a timer for cool down and constant watching.

Good thing is I got 5 rebuild kits for my pump and also only 130$ for another pump for parts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 pm 

if it works great maybe you could make a few and sell them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:44 am 

I have some experience hand pumping... maybe about 20,000 pump strokes.
It takes about 2,000 pump strokes to fill a 48ci paintball tank to 3000 psi with a Benjamin hand pump.
The pump in that video appears to have a larger diameter piston than the Benji so maybe gets greater vol per stroke. The pump would get hot at the speed shown in video.
It's cute but maybe not practical. Hand pumping anything over 15 ci just isnt viable IMO. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 am 

1/4" water line and an aquarium water pump. Wrapped around the piston/ shafts body would create sufficient cooling for the hand pump to run for extended periods of time. Your bucket volume of water and maybe having ice cubes within the water could extend the pumping session for an even longer period. I'm sure many with curiousity will be following your progress upon this.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 am 

Whitewolf wrote:
1/4" water line and an aquarium water pump. Wrapped around the piston/ shafts body would create sufficient cooling for the hand pump to run for extended periods of time. Your bucket volume of water and maybe having ice cubes within the water could extend the pumping session for an even longer period. I'm sure many with curiosity will be following your progress upon this.

Thanks, I got some 215 and 440 GPH aquarium pumps. That could work for cooling. I could also just Y pipe off my washer cold water feed and dump it back into the well. Since both are in the basement.

Pump I'm using is a AV G6. Just harder to boost then a Benji. But its smoother to pump then the benji as well. Boosting it AKA hooking it up to a air compressor. Will force more air to compress, allowing less strokes.

Thanks Frank, But It would be costly to sell. Some stuff I got for free or on sale.

Id buy a shoebox if I could find one for 300$

Its a garage/side project.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:28 pm 

Great project! Will be interesting to see how it all works for you

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:46 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Great project! Will be interesting to see how it all works for you

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Yeah I just need to get some scrap steel now. Make the pivot parts for the pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 pm 

Good luck building your motorized hand pump, hope to see your finished design.