Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:49 am 

Was considering getting a steel breech for my 2240. But the cost, added weight, loss of open sights and having to put up with dovetails, turned me off the idea.

With so many talented tool makers in this forum I wonder if anyone has attempted to build their own steel (or aluminum) breech with a picatinny rail? If not, why not consider the idea? Could be a winner if the cost can be kept below what Crosman charges for their dovetail breech.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am 

I've read few people have but all aluminum. So much easier to mill. With no metal on metal rubbing aluminum is fine. If you mill one for yourself I can understand. Not sure you could offer a similar product with a lower cost to what is already out there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:48 am 

Gmac makes a model that allows you to put the factory rear sight on. Theyre around 80$. But the sights are low enough that using both will be a problem. But cost of making a picatinny rail would drive up the cost. I know BNM makes one ( but theyre like 135 USD ) When a set of low profile dovetail to weaver adapters are only 11$. But with a picatinny rail you would have to raise up the sights. So again more cost being that gotta spend more time at the mill. I don't think your going to get a breech made by someone for less the cost of the 60$ crosman steel breech.

I like the steel breech because it supports the barrel much better. But than again I shoot PBs all the time so a 2-3 lb gun isn't a issue.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm 

Why at first did you want a steel breech? For barrel stabilisation, mounting a scope or a better open sight? On my own 2240, I wanted to have a stable base for my LW barrel and Williams notch sight, and I actually find the added weight (not that much) is helping to stabilize the pistol. Anyway, the Crosman steel breech is the cheapest one to my knowledge, and a good one to boot.

FWIW, I work in a CNC machine shop, and I can tell you a Picatinny/Weaver rail would be more work/cost than a dovetail. It would be cost effective if you were to produce a good volume of parts, but a single one would be expensive, much more than a Crosman steel breech. Machining time is not free, given the knowledge and equipment it needs, even if you use conventional lathe/mill. You have to set-up the tools and machine the part while respecting the needed tolerances. And then you have to give the product a nice finish, be it bluing or paint or something else. Not that hard, but it takes time and you must know what you're doing.

Just my 0.02$

Attachments:
2240_LW.JPG
2240_LW.JPG [ 48.27 KiB | Viewed 1271 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:56 pm 

Thought that if there was a way to mass produce a breech with a picatinny that it could be a good way to make a few bucks, for those with the equipment and knowhow. But if it is that laborious a task then yeah, I can see why it wouldn't be viable. Don't suppose 3D printing these would do much to hold the barrel firmly in place.

I have a few red dots, scopes, lasers that are for picatinny and only so many dovetail optics to go around. Even the dovetail to picatinny you sold me is being used elsewhere. And I do like to swap things around, from diff optics back to open sights, etc. Part of the fun, but not if it is this much of a headache (and cost)