Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 pm 

Bummner :roll:
Can this high power spring for a Phantom be repaired and shimmed or is this too many coils to lose?

Attachments:
bummer.JPG
bummer.JPG [ 41.75 KiB | Viewed 1321 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:26 pm 

if your asking has a joke then funny if your serious....I will say no not at all you need a new spring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 pm 

Actually I am serious....the joke part is how I broke it.....I know some people clip coils to reduce fps but I don't know how many they take off.....or if I can put a shim to get some length back.....but yeah I was guessing that's too many coils to lose....thanks ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:33 pm 

You can put in a spacer maybe 3/4 of the length of the broken section, but don't expect to have close the power you had before.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 pm 

Thanks.....…Yes I've just cut a copper spacer a little less than half the length of the broken part...already grinded..flattened.....sanded and polished the end of the spring ..I'm hoping for around 700 with a 7.8 grain......which will be a nice 30 yard plinker.....good enough.....its a cheapo gun anyway :)
Ran out of moly so I will finish it Monday...I will post fps in case others might want to know the effect of chopping 5 coils off a full power spring.......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm 

I have a 495 spring in with a Johnson outboard valve spring which shoots 525FPS and has over 1000 shots so far in an Airhawk. Works like putting in a spacer on the plastic rod type thing in the back of the spring.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:38 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
I have a 495 spring in with a Johnson outboard valve spring which shoots 525FPS and has over 1000 shots so far in an Airhawk. Works like putting in a spacer on the plastic rod type thing in the back of the spring.

Outboard valve spring....if it works.... it works....congrats....... :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 am 

It will still shoot, so I’m guessing you will get 450 fps if it,s from a previously magnum .22 cal or 550 if previously magnum .177.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 am 

joe hickey wrote:
It will still shoot, so I’m guessing you will get 450 fps if it,s from a previously magnum .22 cal or 550 if previously magnum .177.

Well.......you certainly know your guns..it IS a magnum spring I broke and after refinishing the end of it it shot 547 fps average with a 7.8 gr but I couldn't live with that so I did a crazy thing that seems to be working.I refinished the broken end of the small piece of spring and reinstalled it with a washer between the two pieces and now its shooting only 30 fps less than when the spring was in ONE piece.......
Whole spring.............910 fps
Two piece spring......880 fps
Put 125 pellets through it last night before it got dark outside and its shooting smooth....with a 2 piece spring...lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
Well.......you certainly know your guns..it IS a magnum spring I broke and after refinishing the end of it it shot 547 fps average with a 7.8 gr but I couldn't live with that so I did a crazy thing that seems to be working.I refinished the broken end of the small piece of spring and reinstalled it with a washer between the two pieces and now its shooting only 30 fps less than when the spring was in ONE piece.......
Whole spring.............910 fps
Two piece spring......880 fps
Put 125 pellets through it last night before it got dark outside and its shooting smooth....with a 2 piece spring...lol

good thinking i was going to recommend you try a washer in between the two peaces but you obviously thought
of it before i could suggest it good stuff... 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 am 

Metal fatigue, that's just the first coil to break, the rest is seriously weakened. Toss it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 am 

I have actually ordered a new spring....but in the meantime I like how its shooting.....I've got 225 shots through it with no problem so far...smooth cocking too which I didn't expect....I will let you know when I hit 5000 pellets.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 am 

Guys Stop it, I'm a auto Mechanic and if I fix something I fix it right so please do the same so not to damage it.
you can get a spring for under 20$ and I'm sure if you ask someone here, they would let you have a used one cheap if they have
it or for shipping price.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm 

FRANK wrote:
Guys Stop it, I'm a auto Mechanic and if I fix something I fix it right so please do the same so not to damage it.
you can get a spring for under 20$ and I'm sure if you ask someone here, they would let you have a used one cheap if they have

Little difference here, one won't kill you if you drive around with a broken spring. Whats the worst that will happen? Little bit of marking on the inside of the tube?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 pm 

FRANK wrote:

lol...he already ordered some springs, and there is nothing wrong with his temporary fix as long as it was done correctly...
you shouldn't even get any markings as long as the section that has the washer is towards the rear
facing the stock, and i would guess that's what he did...also hopefully he was smart enough to file or grind the
broken sections of each spring so that the spring sits flat with the washer your not going to get much movement if any at all
in the rear of the spring...