Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Ruger Air Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:40 am 

I know it's not a RWS34 but is tuning one to FAC level even worthwhile or is it turd polishing .Not worthy of a Macarri or Vortek kit likely unless you remove the kit after fooling with it for a while.....opinions?

Post subject: Re: Ruger Air Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 am 

Yes....the rougher a gun comes out of the box....like Crosmans....Rugers, etc..the more they'll take to a good tuning....and you'll be proud of turning it into a nice shooter.....One of the qualities of a high end springer is the attention to detail.....some of which you have control of when tuning a lesser gun.....some things you don't...but for the most part its worth it.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:54 am 

You can get a full power spring from R&R repairs. Cost you around 43$ shipped for the spring.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:03 pm 

Is a used 495 fps Air Hawk worth $60 missing it's sights?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:52 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

For the price of the Chinese spring, I sprung for a Maccari kit. I refuse to pay $43 for a Chinese spring when a Crosman spring goes for about $11 +shipping, last time I ordered one. You can get a Diana spring for that kind of money.

The Macarri is much more expensive, but the spring is high quality and comes with a very nice guide and top hat, some tar as well, so worth the extra money. I also got a spare full power spring for $20US, I think. Wishing I went with the lower powered Old School kit.

Haven't been able to install it yet, so can't comment on how good it shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm 

Pioneer2 wrote:
Is a used 495 fps Air Hawk worth $60 missing it's sights?

I think an Airhawk..or any modern air rifle would have to be in pretty bad shape NOT to be worth $60.00...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 pm 

Well I bought it,didn't need it but something to tinker with.Shipping from most places is more than the price of the dammed spring.Vortek or Macarri can't see dumping a $100+ kit in a $60 gun.May just get a RWS 34 spring at some point.The BAM guns at Flying Dragon are the same maker as the Air Hawk.They make a .25 caliber copy of the RWS 350 mag guys have been swapping out barrels and they fit just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 pm 

Pioneer2 wrote:
Well I bought it,didn't need it but something to tinker with.Shipping from most places is more than the price of the dammed spring.Vortek or Macarri can't see dumping a $100+ kit in a $60 gun.May just get a RWS 34 spring at some point.The BAM guns at Flying Dragon are the same maker as the Air Hawk.They make a .25 caliber copy of the RWS 350 mag guys have been swapping out barrels and they fit just fine.

it doesn't matter how cheap the price was. The important factor is the barrel. Did you get a good one or not. It's a crap shoot. My ah typically shoots better groups at 10m than my surge which is essentially the same gun which I have tuned with a vortek kit and corrected tightness in the bore. I should move the vortek kit over to the ah but I barley shoot either these days.

If you have a good one there is no reason not to put in a vortek kit, other than budget.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 pm 

I bought 3 when Walmart still had them and shipped for free. R&R springs in all them and fully sanded and deburred. All shot hard, actually slowed them down down with JSB heavies to shot better. Shot all winter with wife, neighbour and myself. All 3 shot with 1/4 to 3/8" in 40ft garage. Just as good outside. Only complaint, wish they were .22.

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm 

They were great fun to work on, not much lose if they didn't perform the way I wished. Neighbour wants to buy mine as I spent more time and effort tuning mine, no money involved. It isn't hold sensitive and easy on the scope, shoots extremely smooth with little recoil.

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:54 pm 

With anything Chinese it's a crap shoot in regards to QC. Norinco comes to mind in powder burners.Doubt it will replace my Gecado/RWS 45 steel trigger .177 @ 825 fps or CZ 630 but something to mess with in the meantime.Have mostly .22's HW80K Vortek and RWS 34 Macarri ,2240 + 2289 If it's re-bar I'm out $60 oh well.Anyone know who might carry 1" Sportsmatch med two piece rings as I can't find any.at least they are steel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 am 

Pioneer2 wrote:
With anything Chinese it's a crap shoot in regards to QC. Norinco comes to mind in powder burners.Doubt it will replace my Gecado/RWS 45 steel trigger .177 @ 825 fps or CZ 630 but something to mess with in the meantime.Have mostly .22's HW80K Vortek and RWS 34 Macarri ,2240 + 2289 If it's re-bar I'm out $60 oh well.Anyone know who might carry 1" Sportsmatch med two piece rings as I can't find any.at least they are steel.

The old adage, you get what you pay for.

Rings...

https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/sportsma ... etail.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 am 

Pay once cry once.I have those rings on my HW.............Thanx for the link.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:15 pm 

Next day I'm at the farm, ill compare my Diana 240C, to the Airhawk.

I know the Ruger was way better gun, quality and machined. Than any vantage/optimus/quest/phantom/Raven. I touched.

The Diana 240C being that its a economy gun might be the same quality as the Airhawk, maybe less.

But the full power spring on the airhawk made it quite violent to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 pm 

Macarri makes a 12-13lbs kit that should put a .177 in the 750fps range that is supposed to smooth things right out.Does the Air Hawk take the same sized piston seal as the RWS 34 or is that off as well?Same gun is the Xisco BAM 25 perhaps not as nicely finished but same parts.Hope the 11mm dovetails were cut deep enough to solidly mt a scope.