Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:59 am 

just have a question if anyone knows. Just wondering when installing the pg3 ho tune kit if your supposed to keep the two stock washers that come with the rifle inside the piston when installing the kit?? instructions were kind of vague when I installed it although the gun still shoots great at 690fps I'm not getting the 720 fps it says in the spec and was wondering maybe it's because I removed the two stock washers that go inside the piston?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:32 am 

Ravenairgun wrote:
just have a question if anyone knows. Just wondering when installing the pg3 ho tune kit if your supposed to keep the two stock washers that come with the rifle inside the piston when installing the kit?? instructions were kind of vague when I installed it although the gun still shoots great at 690fps I'm not getting the 720 fps it says in the spec and was wondering maybe it's because I removed the two stock washers that go inside the piston?

On my Hw 80 I had to remove the stock washers,also the speed will pick up over a tin of pellets ,kelly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:39 am 

ya has a couple tins through it still shooting 690ish. what kit did you install on your hw80? looking a exploded view parts list of the hw97 and it doesnt even show the two stock washers that go inside the piston. pg3 tune kit instructions dont even show or mention washers. would leaving them in the piston increase the velocity ? I'm getting pg2 tune kit results velocity wise on a pg3 tunenkit install doesnt make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
ya has a couple tins through it still shooting 690ish. what kit did you install on your hw80? looking a exploded view parts list of the hw97 and it doesnt even show the two stock washers that go inside the piston. pg3 tune kit instructions dont even show or mention washers. would leaving them in the piston increase the velocity ? I'm getting pg2 tune kit results velocity wise on a pg3 tunenkit install doesnt make sense.

I put in the 20 fpe kit and it would' nt latch,ended up having a washer in front of the tophat!
Tom helped me with it ,now it latches ..barely about 21 fpe in 22 cal with jsb 15.9 fyi..found the info 770 fps with 15.9 jsb for 20.9 fpe!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:42 am 

kelly1 wrote:
Ravenairgun wrote:

I put in the 20 fpe kit and it would' nt latch,ended up having a washer in front of the tophat!
Tom helped me with it ,now it latches ..barely about 21 fpe in 22 cal with jsb 15.9 fyi..found the info 770 fps with 15.9 jsb for 20.9 fpe!

ya that's awsome results I'm get 695 with 14.3. I understand you can rotate the top hat which alters the velocity....to 3 diffrent slots...maybe mines on the lowest. do you have Tom's contact info maybe he can help me out? and are you sure it's called a 20 fpe kit or a 20 joule kit? there usualy measured in joules not fpe?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:18 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:

I would try and email Vortek, I have found they respond to questions like this about their kits.

I bet you already know this, but it depends on the weight of the pellet you are shooting, as the heavier pellets will shoot slower.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:11 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
kelly1 wrote:
Ravenairgun wrote:

ya that's awsome results I'm get 695 with 14.3. I understand you can rotate the top hat which alters the velocity....to 3 diffrent slots...maybe mines on the lowest. do you have Tom's contact info maybe he can help me out? and are you sure it's called a 20 fpe kit or a 20 joule kit? there usualy measured in joules not fpe?

I don’t have his number , put this together almost 10 years ago the kit isn’t called the 20 fpe kit I was just telling you what I put in turned out to produce 20.9 fpe .,kelly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:48 am 

OP read this on their website.. So you are getting 25 to 30 FPS less than what says?

So like I figured, altitude and temperature plays a factor.

Quote:
For Consideration when tuning power:
It is the owners responsibility to assure legality of their air gun power output.
Vortek’s Location of testing is 578 Feet.Above.Sea.Level. (F.A.S.L)
For every 1000ft above or below will be approximately .029 difference in velocity, thus foot pound (Ft/lb, Joules) of shooting energy.
1000 F.A.S.L.x .029 = 29fps approx

Joules= .7475=ft/lb
Easy, do-it-yourself with vIrtually no pre-load force on assembly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:50 am 

hey rotated the top hat turns out it was on the low setting. it's now shooting 695 to 710 fps which is 15.6 FPE and 21 joules which I'm pretty sure is to spec. and isnt dropping in to the 680's or 675'. most people with the same setup say there getting around 690 to 700 fps on full power.. how you get yours 20 fpe? what pellet?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:19 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
hey rotated the top hat turns out it was on the low setting. it's now shooting 695 to 710 fps which is 15.6 FPE and 21 joules which I'm pretty sure is to spec. and isnt dropping in to the 680's or 675'. most people with the same setup say there getting around 690 to 700 fps on full power.. how you get yours 20 fpe? what pellet?

You may get higher FPE by going to a heavier pellet. That is what happened in my HW98, which ran up 148 with 14.43gr. HP's and 15.4FPE with 19.09gr. H&N's.