Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:00 am 

Hey folks

I am the guy who recently nearly wrecked the threads on my end and receiver trying to reinstall the endcap on an old style HW50. I was using a very flimsy spring compressor.

Well I put together my own heavy duty mainspring compressor but I still can't get it go together.

I am not sure why this is so difficult with this airgun. I already installed a tune kit in an HW80 and it had the same amount of preload.

I don't feel anything getting hung up as I can clearly feel when the spring guide gets past the tip of Piston rod.

Does anyone have tips or advice for how to get this thing back together?

The kit I have is from Jim Maccari and I thought/hoped it would not have this much preload, as I currently have one of his springs in my hw80 and it can be reassembled with out a spring compressor.
His springs used to have a reputation of setting shorter after a short while in the gun too.

I know, I should have asked before ordering. I also didn't think it would be this hard, after doing the same to my HW80 with older non macarri kit that had a lot of preload.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 pm 

I am thinking if the spring with your new kit is new and never been pre-setting? Just talked with the gentleman about my HW45 spring and he gave me many advice about the springs and the installations... And it looks pre-set the Spring before install it is very essential to make it success...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:06 pm 

Haha, I ust emailed Jim Macarri to ask about this too.

I am sure I can rig up something to preset the spring, if I know how much it needs to be "squeezed". And how long.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:08 pm 

Jim just replied and said springs in his kits are all preset. So I guess I have a challenge ahead of me to get this spring installed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:01 pm 

Is there a way you can compress the spring, wedge something in holding the spring compressed enough, so you can thread in the cap?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:22 pm 

that's a real challenge.....I just got passed through this... and your challenge just plus difficult than mine...

do you have a clamp like the one I used? that you can squeeze it bit by bit, and when the end cap in touch with the tube, it's the cooperation between the clamp arm and the cap treads...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:20 pm 

Well, I got it together but it took me an hour of constant adjusting.

I built a wood frame to hold the airgun receiver and clamped it in with a wood frame of 2x2's and cardboard shims to keep it from moving. Then I mounted a bench vice at the end as the pusher for the end cap. I have a block of wood between the vice and the endcap to prevent scratching the endcap with the steel vice.

I'll never buy another airgun with a screw in endcap, that's for sure!!
And next time I buy a spring piston air rifle, I am definitely researching the teardown and reassembly!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:57 am 

It's nice too see you got it done!!
The manufacture knows your pain, so the screw-up HW50 had been replaced for the new models using pin instead....
I think maybe I have to make something like yours to do my HW45 spring job...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:24 am 

I wish I had some advice to offer you too but I don't have an HW45 for reference.