Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:48 pm 

I have decided that instead of passing this issue onto another person - I will try and figure out how to fix it myself - with some help of some kind people; I hope...

I bought this Webley Alecto/Zoraki HP-01 Light .22 Pistol used and it worked perfectly for the 1st month or two - pumping up perfectly and shooting very consistently and accurately at 3 pumps.

Then - all of a sudden it simply wouldn't pump up correctly anymore - it would just pump up but NO pressure was being retained so nothing would happen and the pellet wouldn't even budge.

Then I noticed that this was happening:

In the 1st pic with that bridge part sitting back - nothing would happen; but in the 2nd pic if I manually moved the bridge part up to the forward position it would very consistently retain lots of pressure - but now it would only SOMETIMES work properly and fire the pellet and other times when I pulled the trigger it would just go - pffft and no pressure would be released and the pellet wouldn't budge at all - and other times it would work perfectly again and it would fire the pellet out forcefully and accurately.

If anyone has any ideas as to what is going on - I would greatly appreciate your thoughts...

I also got this response on the Yellow Forum:

Quote:
Hi Doug, My Alecto did exactly the same thing and all I did was to rotate the little part you are talking about. I would move it around clockwise and counter clockwise as well as in and out and it started working again. Pretty cool guns, and accurate too. I think that some tiny thing was causing it not to seal, and the minipulating of the plunger thing must have removed the debris. But I'm not sure...just worked for me!
Be sure to do an old search on it too, there's a bunch of stuff on alectos in the past here. Good luck.

My response:

Quote:
Thanks for the response - I have tried to move that screw back and forth - and it actually fires maybe 1 in 10 tries.

The rest of the time is makes a fairly loud HMMPH sound that sounds live a lot of pressure is being released - just not down the barrel as it will not fire the pellet...

:? :?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:31 pm 

Based on what you said I'd say there's some stiction/friction holding up that hammer. Could also be it's spring is broken or it's hanging up on something. I'd take it apart for a look-c. I'd imagine once apart you'll see the problem. If not post detailed pix so I/we can see what's in there, where the spring is etc.. I attached an exploded parts view but it's not very good, so I'd take pix as I go. Post those pix too, others could bennie from them.

Attachments:
Alecto parts diagram.jpg
Alecto parts diagram.jpg [ 193.15 KiB | Viewed 2691 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:36 pm 

No doubt that taking it apart would help reveal the issue - but I am hesitant to take that step as I have a bad history of mucking up when trying to fix air guns.

I will try and see if another member here feels confident in trying to fix this problem; and see if I can ship it off to them...

:?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:03 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
No doubt that taking it apart would help reveal the issue - but I am hesitant to take that step as I have a bad history of mucking up when trying to fix air guns.

I will try and see if another member here feels confident in trying to fix this problem; and see if I can ship it off to them...

:?

Last edited by rws on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:07 pm 

That video just shows you how to adjust the screw which controls the pressure and lets you determine how fast or slow you want it to shoot with 1-3 pumps.

It doesn't show anything else... :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:33 pm 

I'd do it for you just so I could see the gun and it's parts, but shipping both ways would likely be redonkulus. I'd assume removing the grips would be harmless and should reveal the prob. I'm willing to assist if you send me pix as you go... chevota at hotmail....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:36 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I'd do it for you just so I could see the gun and it's parts, but shipping both ways would likely be redonkulus. I'd assume removing the grips would be harmless and should reveal the prob. I'm willing to assist if you send me pix as you go... chevota at hotmail....

Thanks for the offer - I think that one of my go to guys for air gun repairs may be willing to have a look at it (and of course he is in Canada - so no worries about expensive shipping...)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am 

Others would know better than I but I wonder if you have a hairline crack on the seam of the air reservoir (? - I don;t even know the term...). My Alecto has a similar issue - not retaining air for long, and sometimes not having enough pressure to eject the pellet even if you shot quickly. Mine has a small line visible along the top of the reservoir (by the brass piece) and I think that is the issue. They have been known to crack under pressure if people close the bleed valve and/or over pump them. Not saying that is what you did, but the gun has a history of failures at this point caused by more pressure than it can handle, so that could be the cause of your issues. It is hard to tell from the pics you posted, but a shot from above might show whether of not that was the problem.

Apparently a long term member (Voltar1) had a solution for the issue - I think it relates to putting an o-ring deeper into the assembly to seal it before the leak - but I am not entirely sure. I am still hoping to get mine back into working shape since it was a great pistol before the issue started (plus I own .177, .22, and .25 cal barrels for it).

FWIW, if that is the issue, there are a number of posts discussing the problem on this and other airgun forums.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:18 am 

Thanks for the info.

Actually I believe that my Alecto was modded thusly by Voltar1 - so hopefully that it is not the problem; but something simpler to fix...

And I have already mailed it off the my go-to air gun fix-it guy - so he will have a chance to inspect it and see if he can see any damage.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 am 

Late to the party, but, have you tried lubing the gun? Bet you a dollar to a donut that's the cause of your problems.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 am 

I sent it off to Ace in Toronto and he fixed it so it now works perfectly once again...

8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 pm 

You're not just gonna leave us hanging like that...are ya ????

You have to finish the thread and share...??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 pm 

HuskyDude wrote:

I will see if I can get Ace to share his secrets as to how exactly he was able to fix my Alecto...

:o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:59 pm 

HuskyDude wrote:

the cocking mechanism was jamming up and would stay in the forward position and not pull back on the leaver
you might get away with some lube if its not too bad, but in wllm995 case it needed a little bit of filing in two areas.
also replaced an o-ring..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:39 am 

I recently acquired one of these air guns, loved it.. it shot great and was alot of fun, that was until I lent it out to a friend... He either over pumped it or left the air in too long??? now I have the same problem as the original poster wllm995 ... gun pumps but wont hold air... I too am in Canada (hamilton area) anyone willing to help a guy out??

thanks
Doug