Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: XS12 tuning?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:04 pm 

I got an XS12 in 22 delivered yesterday. Supposed to do 480 fps, but it's only doing 330 fps out of the box (and after about 10 cleaning pellets). For the time being I've oiled joints and dropped a couple drops down the compression chamber.

Im thinking maybe they detuned it because they thought it couldn't go over 4.2J for Canada even though its under 495. Anyone else have one that can comment? In any case, I want to get this up to where it should be... Suggestions?

On the plus side it's got a beautiful stock, I like the trigger, and it's pretty accurate without even having adjusted the iron sights yet. I've got a 3-9x40 scope I'll put on it, I figure this will be good for pest birds if I can get the fps up where it should be.

So a couple hundred shots should break it in and make it a bit smoother/quieter/less of the minor twang. I'm thinking replacing the breech seal o-ring might help too. Beyond that I'll need to open it right up (first time doing that) and maybe look at the piston seal and make sure there isn't an unnecessary bleed hole.

Very nice gun, just want it to perform as advertised.

Post subject: Re: XS12 tuning?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm 

Since it is new, it is not broken in yet. This link shows the expected vel for the .22 model is 350fps to 400fps.

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index. ... duct_id=53

Xisico Model XS12 Butt Pad- Rubber Pad
Caliber- .177 , .22 Safety- Automatic Thumb Safety
Cocking Effort- 10lbs Stock- Wood, Monte Carlo Design
Front Sghts- Hooded Velocity-stock rifle .177, 550, tuned 600 FPS-.177 cal
Rear Sights- Adjustable FPE- 6-7 FPE .22 350 to 400 fps
Cocking Action- Break Barrel Power Plant- Spring Piston
Scope Mount-11mm Dovetail Weight- 5.7lbs
Total Length- 40.0" Accuracy- 1/5"@10M
Our Low Price Shipped!- $100.00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:32 pm 

I used to have a Stoeger X5 .22 cal which is the same rifle, although some minor features may have changed over the years. It was shooting 300 fps in stock configuration, so no surprise there.
I tuned it up with some effort. You can read about it here:
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... #msg411236

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:24 pm 

mwlcarter wrote:
I got an XS12 in 22 delivered yesterday. Supposed to do 480 fps, but it's only doing 330 fps out of the box (and after about 10 cleaning pellets). For the time being I've oiled joints and dropped a couple drops down the compression chamber.

Im thinking maybe they detuned it because they thought it couldn't go over 4.2J for Canada even though its under 495. Anyone else have one that can comment? In any case, I want to get this up to where it should be... Suggestions?

On the plus side it's got a beautiful stock, I like the trigger, and it's pretty accurate without even having adjusted the iron sights yet. I've got a 3-9x40 scope I'll put on it, I figure this will be good for pest birds if I can get the fps up where it should be.

So a couple hundred shots should break it in and make it a bit smoother/quieter/less of the minor twang. I'm thinking replacing the breech seal o-ring might help too. Beyond that I'll need to open it right up (first time doing that) and maybe look at the piston seal and make sure there isn't an unnecessary bleed hole.

Very nice gun, just want it to perform as advertised.

It has to be 500 FPS AND 4.2 ft lbs in order to be a firearm and a licensed required. So you will see alot of 22 cal shooting stock over 4.2 FPE, but not 500 FPS unless it a PAL rated. So it isn't detuned any further.

Wes website says it only shoots 22 cal @ 430 (14.3gr) So really I only expected it to shoot 400 ( real world FPS ) and Flying Dragon like someone said 350-400. So kind of what you see, might be what you get.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:05 am 

I apologize, looks like I am falsely advertising a bit there, especially if Mike at Flying Dragon is saying they shoot slower. I know I did test one and got something close to that 440fps, but it could be it was dieseling when it gave me that velocity. I'll fix my site to be more realistic.
I'm a newb on tuning springers but I did get some low power xs12/16 springs for the 177 to make them non pal and I found them very low powered, because they are shorter than the full power. I stuck spacer behind the spring and was able to get it up to 475fps.
So perhaps you can do that as well with your 22 cal, put a spacer of the same diameter as the spring behind the spring on the spring guide and increase velocity that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:27 pm 

Thanks everyone. I'd seen a few different FPS ratings for this rifle, if I can get it to 400 that'd be fine, just looking for a bit more humane knockdown power for the birds. I'll try the spacer idea, and I notice that the breech seal is basically flush rather than protruding at all, so I'll probably try shimming or putting in a thicker o-ring to see if it makes a difference.

Day 2 update: The bit of twang is pretty much gone now and the shot cycle is smoothing out, so it's either breaking in and/or a bit of oiling helped. Also, I have to say that this is probably the most accurate rifle I'd had out of the box on iron sights. Took minimal adjustment to get it hitting exactly where I wanted, any remaining inaccuracy is due to the shooter rather than the gun. Oh, and the trigger... actually pretty good even though it doesn't seem to be adjustable. Travel is pretty short, and it's predictable so even though it may be a bit heavy it's really not an issue. Oh, and it's not a terribly loud rifle either, and hopefully will get a bit quieter with use.

Pretty pleased with this rifle! Fantastic price too at airgunarcheryfun.ca.

Just a little comparison... my 1322 (steel breech, shoulder stock) gets about 400fps with 6 pumps, and actually makes it to 470 with 10 pumps. The XS12 if I can get the FPS up a little bit will save me a lot of pumping.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:39 am 

That's great! Thanks for sharing your progress. I'm interested in tuning them up myself and what would work best.
Thanks,
Wes

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am 

Update: The stock breech seal was very flush with the breech, so while I was replacing my Optimus seal it looked like the same size and it for in the XS12. That's a Viton 109 75 durometer O-ring that fit in the XS12. From the last time I chronied it, it's gone from 315-330 up to 353-370 fps. Btw, that's using cheap Daisy 22 hollow points. So I'm pretty pleased... My 22 now equals or betters a 177 at 495, now to see if I can squeeze some more incremental improvements out of it. I may have to get brave and take it apart though. Next I'll be putting a 3-9x40 scope on it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:32 am 

Forgot to mention, those Daisy hollow points are 15.27 grains, and I only got about 5 shots through the chronograph before my cat decided to jump up on the table and lay down on top of the chrony. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:05 pm 

So with 14.3's that would be about 10FPS more. Bet you just need to add a little preload on the spring. Can make a spring compressor easy. Bar clamp or some 2x4s and your car jack from your car.

That's why I cannot use any lasers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:14 pm 

How long of a bar clamp? I've got a few 12" ones from woodworking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:27 pm 

mwlcarter wrote:
How long of a bar clamp? I've got a few 12" ones from woodworking.

Too short, you need one at least long enough for the receiver, plus a few inches. If you take off the barrel, if you don't. Well one as long as the receiver and barrel, plus a few inches.

I made one like this..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:05 pm 

Actually with the XS12 you don't need anything, though it's sure nice to have one. These have a fairly weak spring so they are pretty easy to push in.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk